Wet weather gear - kit talk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have been lucky enough to acquire a second hand Ventile jacket recently. I bought it because I had used a (borrowed) similar one when on a course, pre the present international unpleasantness. In steady, heavy rain and wind while faffing about in woodland and open areas for a week, I found, with some surprise, that a series of light layers - merino (old but reliable) then latest MOD surplus fleece Norgi then wool shirt - under the jacket worked brilliantly, keeping me warm and dry, with the jacket zip and shirt front openings allowing efficient ventilation when needed.
I don't think I would go Munro bagging in summer with such a bulky jacket, but I plan to head out this winter to see how it does. I started hillwalking with my Dad, both of us wearing surplus Ventile smocks (head over style) so I may be regressing to teenage-hood ;-)

Reactions: Billy-o

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
The weird thing is last week I was hillwalking with the family in the Lake District carrying all the kit waterproofs, Hexi stove mug, food. In the heavy drizzly rain (rained for about an hour) just wore a Adidas nylon t- shirt. Never felt wet because I was walking and when I stopped for a break when the rain stopped my t-shirt felt dry. Knew if I had put on a waterproof I would be more wet from inside the coat with the effort of walking up the hills.

My point is for all the waterproof kit out there unless it lashing it down, where you would probably seek shelter anyway all waterproofs are good cheap, surplus or expensive. Have used cag in bag coats as an emergency quick carry to goretex and Buffalo coats.
Judge the conditions you are in and use your common sense, what to wear.

Some fabrics 'wick' moisture away from the body, sports wear as may form an 'Adidas nylon t-shirt, would most likely be made of this kind of fabric given it's sports intent. The idea of wicking fabrics is that in their ability to move moisture away from the skin to maintain a dry layer between the body and the damper next layer.

Rorschach

May 22, 2018
Finland
I wear cotton gabardine smocks if it's not raining. They are completely windproof but breath extremely well. Very comfortable. They can withstand a drizzle if properly treated by Nikwax Cotton Proof or similar. In rain I wear single or double layer ventile with merino layers underneath. Ventile is superb during winter as well.

Spent 20 years trying to find a membrane jacket that would work satisfactorily. Never did. None of them breath even nearly enough. Many of them also leak in heavy rain, so no better than ventile there. Membrane jackets are also very vulnerable to sparks from a fire. Gabardine cotton and ventile are not. And none of the gore tex etc. lasted more than 2-3 years in my use. Compared to them, ventile is tough as nails if taken care of. Ventile and gabardine are also silent while you move - something hunters and bird/wildlife watchers and photographers can certainly appreciate.

Lastly, although production of cotton is not free from environmental issues, ventile and gabardine produce zero micro plastics (unlike membrane garments and especially fleece) and are not made of fossil oil material like all membrane products are. When you think about the long life of a ventile garment compared to membrane clothing, that probably offsets a lot of the inherent environmental problems cause by cotton production (mainly heavy use of water).

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Rorschach

May 22, 2018
Finland
Are there any particular ventile garments that you can recommend please?

Many thanks!
David

Hi,

It seems there are quite many that receive good reviews. Personally, the ventile smocks made by (defunct for years) SASS are among the very best for outdoors use. If lucky, you may find one somewhere! I have a West Winds double ventile smock that is excellent as well. For town/travel use I have a John Partridge and an Ebbelsen - both double ventile and they are great for that kind of use but less so for real outdoor use, especially the Ebbelsen.

I have a couple more ventile jackets but haven't yet used them enough to form an opinion.

I hear very good things about Sasta ventile garments but have no personal experience of them.

Reactions: adriatikfan

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hi,

It seems there are quite many that receive good reviews. Personally, the ventile smocks made by (defunct for years) SASS are among the very best for outdoors use. If lucky, you may find one somewhere! I have a West Winds double ventile smock that is excellent as well. For town/travel use I have a John Partridge and an Ebbelsen - both double ventile and they are great for that kind of use but less so for real outdoor use, especially the Ebbelsen.

I have a couple more ventile jackets but haven't yet used them enough to form an opinion.

I hear very good things about Sasta ventile garments but have no personal experience of them.

Thank you for such a quick reply. Much appreciated.

Time to do some research.

Best Wishes,
David

Urdasein

Nov 26, 2020
France
www.instagram.com
Well, I gave up trying to stay dry at all cost...

Instead, I'll try to stay warm with a thicker layer of wool and some dry clothes in my pack (socks, panties and T shirts especially, and of course a dry thermal layer for when you stand still).

I dont use gore tex: they don't last long enough for me (burning, tearing and clogged by dirt/smoke/sebum).

If the rain is lighlty falling all the day, I'll use a ventile garnment. I love the ventile poncho over a thick wool anorak when foraging mushrooms (tuck the poncho under a belt to not walk over it when bending). The ventile will stay half dry / half wet and still very beathable... whereas, with a PU poncho, I would be wet in my own sweat.

Of course, under heavy rain, I use a non breathable waterproof fabric. Often a poncho but sometimes a XXXL anorak as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE