Unexpectedly hard eggs...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well it shows how dire my fridge is.

The ice box has kind of crept into the main compartment...

And my eggs are now frozen.

I used up the split one; making stuffing. i thawed it by de shelling into a small cup in a big cup of boiling water.

Freezing eggs in their shells is not the most effective way of preserving them; but what can you do with such products?

PS, Tengu are not hatched from eggs; in spite of several such ecofacts being fonud in Japanese temples; these are Emus eggs brought in as curios by Dutch traders. Just in case you were wondering.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They do thaw out and they're still good for baking or scrambling. Haven't tried frying them, but I rarely fry eggs anyway.

It's a good way to store extra eggs if you find them on sale or won't use before they date out too far. Crack them into the ice cube tray and freeze. Pop them out into a bag and store in the freezer.
Thaw them out when needed. No worries about use by dates, and you can seperate them into yolks and whites this way too.

Reactions: demographic

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah, there is hope for me yet.

(Unless I desire a fried egg...)

Its a pest though, the blasted old device; not mine. I will have to arrange things more carefully. Down the bottom might be less frigid.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You don't actually need to keep eggs in the fridge.
Our eggs aren't washed of their coating, so the eggs are fine for weeks on end just sitting in the kitchen.

They're easy to waterglass too to make them last an awful lot longer.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You don't actually need to keep eggs in the fridge.

Didn't I read somewhere recently that you shouldn't keep eggs in the fridge because, the shell being porous, they take on the smells of anything else in the fridge like cheese? or did I imaging that? - wouldn't put it past me these days :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't buy large quantities of cheese and eggs. Anyway, to me, cheese and eggs taste OK together.
I doubt if the porosity of egg shell is big enough to allow the passage of food odor molecules.
I have a bunch of HB eggs in the fridge to make devilled eggs (with Tabasco to open my eyes)
and to make jars of pickled eggs.

What I still find amazing is that there is enough material in a single egg shell to make a whole, living chicken.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Didn't I read somewhere recently that you shouldn't keep eggs in the fridge because, the shell being porous, they take on the smells of anything else in the fridge like cheese? or did I imaging that? - wouldn't put it past me these days :)

Perhaps that's slightly muddled. We don't wash our eggs and thus they keep well, other countries do wash their eggs and need to refridgerate them. I've never noticed eggs taking on any smell to be honest, and though I don't need to keep mine in the fridge, I do, and I have to confess that right now Himself is enjoying a wedge of Stilton, and it's ripe, iimmc ? I baked twice with eggs yesterday that had been in the fridge for a week, and there was no cheesy smell, or taste, from them.
Perhaps if they were laid in contact ? :dunno:
Duck eggs can be dirty and tainted though; silly creatures sometimes lay them where it's too muddy.

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Decided to delve further :)

All to do with how the eggs are treated in different countries and the salmonella - as usual big differences between the States and Europe - quelle surprise :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Decided to delve further :)

All to do with how the eggs are treated in different countries and the salmonella - as usual big differences between the States and Europe - quelle surprise :)

Thanks; interesting article. I hadn’t thought about the condensation issue nor did I know about Europe vaccinating their chickens. All that said I’ve never had any issues either way or in either country. No issues with eggs picking up smells or flavors in the fridge nor any problems having them go bad on the counter (the last might be partly due to usually using eggs up within a week or less though)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good thing that humans don't produce "clutches" of 4-12 children all at once, over and over and over.

Maybe once a month. Maybe. Local outdoor farm chicken large eggs. $4.50/dozen.
1. Lots of bacon and a few hard-fried eggs on toast.
2. HB eggs fine dice in egg salad.
3. Cajun Deviled eggs (Tabasco style)
4. Pickled eggs.
5. Poached eggs on toast.
6. Caesar salad.
7. Belgian waffles.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE