The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, they won't.

All it needs is the transmission to be stopped. Anybody who has come into close contact with anyone infectious to be traced and to self isolate for a fortnight.

That's it. It's not rocket science, it's social science. It's respect and regard for other people.

We reckon it's safe for pubs and non essential shops to open, for folks to visit outwith their own area, now. Now that we have dropped the infections so low.

Your state and country isn't at that point, yet. I hope it does get there because right now Americans are seen as disease spreaders, part of the problem, not part of the solution.

The UK does not have a sterling record on this disease, but in most areas, especially Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the focus now is on tracing contacts and isolating until there's no further spread.

6-DDE3-C14-964-C-4-F80-97-E9-7-E5-F68-DA815-E.jpg

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No, they won't.

All it needs is the transmission to be stopped. Anybody who has come into close contact with anyone infectious to be traced and to self isolate for a fortnight.

That's it. It's not rocket science, it's social science. It's respect and regard for other people.............
Actually it’s biology. And yes, it will prevail.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, my sites open again, with new rules.

And Cornwall council dont want me peeing (or otherwise) on the beach...or using the public toilets....

Im just wondering if its safe to let my Dad do his own shopping.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, my sites open again, with new rules.

And Cornwall council dont want me peeing (or otherwise) on the beach...or using the public toilets....

Im just wondering if its safe to let my Dad do his own shopping.

Are you heading back ? and how is Uni going to deal with things ? Our schools are hoping that they're back properly by August, but there are an awful lot of foreign students at our Universities and it's an understandable concern.

From the way you have spoken of your father I suspect you'll have a hard job stopping him :) or stopping him helping others too.

M

Reactions: santaman2000

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive given up on Uni...for now.

Im winding down my life in Cornwall, though I dont want to leave.

The jobs Im applying for are all elsewhere..nor in Wiltshire.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ive given up on Uni...for now.

Im winding down my life in Cornwall, though I dont want to leave.

The jobs Im applying for are all elsewhere..nor in Wiltshire.
I hope that‘s only temporary setbacks. From your posts here we’ve all seen your interest in you studies. est of luck with the job hunt as well.

Reactions: Toddy
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
We’ve dispelled that myth multiple times. My insurance costs less than $100 per month. The majority of Americans pay around $00 per month for the employed individual or $400 per month for a family with no size limit. The poor pay nothing for their coverage. However what’s your tax rate? If I remember correctly VAT is nearly 25%? My sales tax is only 6.5%; less in other counties and many items are entirely tax exempt (groceries, school supplies during the pre school tax holiday, etc. plus hurricane supplies during the pre hurricane tax holiday) and my income tax is only 13% (And the first $3600 is exempted from tax—-$7200 for a family filing jointly)
Different for different rates of pay. The vat is because of the 2008 crash from 17.5% but that has never come off again. No vat on necessities like food nappies.

The national insurance is the healthcare pensions unemployment.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If China can do it, if Korea can do it, if Europe can do it, why can't the Americas ?
Well the answer would be twofold:
1) First and foremost remember my contention is that one of those nations have “done it.” At least not “stopped” transmissions. I’ve consistantly maintained that transmission has only been delayed and that eventually it will resume. Again, I will rejoice if I’m wrong.
2) While I can’t speak for the rest of the Americas, the US Constitution and oir culture make that kind of control not just difficult, but impossible And largely illegal.
Different for different rates of pay. The vat is because of the 2008 crash from 17.5% but that has never come off again. No vat on necessities like food nappies.

The national insurance is the healthcare pensions unemployment.
Thanks. Our income tax rate is also dependent on income levels. I can’t really compare it to y’all’s scale though (I can’t open the link) I do know the rate for middle income is about 12% to 18%. Under a certain level (my daughter being one of them) there’s what‘s called “earned income credit” (please don’t ask me what the name means; I have no idea) Basically the program works such that any family qualifying (being in the appropriate income bracket and having a family) they not only don’t owe any taxes but they also get a a larger refund than what was withheld through the year from their paychecks. In other words:

-Most of us have our eatimated taxes withheld from our paychecks though the year as well as Social Security (the government pension plan) and Medicare/Medicaid (the government health insurance plan for the elderly and the poor respectively) On Tax Day we file a “return“ and either mail in additional payments if we owe more than was withheld or receive a refund if we paid more than owed (The latter is the normal)

-However! The earned income credit means that the qualifying taxpayer (by virtue of low income and a family) receives back everything he or she paid in plus an additional stipend determined by the size of the family.

This all for federal income tax. Living in Florida I’m fortunate to be is among the residents of only 6 states that don’t impose an additional state income tax. I apologize for the rather lengthy post that’s really intended only to give a rough idea of tax rates.

Reactions: petrochemicals

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No, they won't.

That's it. It's not rocket science, it's social science. It's respect and regard for other people.

We reckon it's safe for pubs and non essential shops to open, for folks to visit outwith their own area, now. Now that we have dropped the infections so low.

Your state and country isn't at that point, yet. I hope it does get there because right now Americans are seen as disease spreaders, part of the problem, not part of the solution.

The UK does not have a sterling record on this disease, but in most areas, especially Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the focus now is on tracing contacts and isolating until there's no further spread.

A9CFB73C-A088-4F4A-8866-CA7A0E548B05.jpeg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Nearly everyone from the US thinks their system is cheaper and better than any outside the US, and an awful lot outside thinks the US system is more expensive and less good than any other in the developed world.

Having read way more discussions than is good for me on Quora about US income, tax and medical vs the same in the UK and Europe, the only thing I can say conclusively is that such discussions are largely futile. The only people who can begin to unravel the complexities are those who have lived and worked for some time on both sides of the Atlantic, or regularly visit family on both sides. If all the experience isn't recent (last 5 years) it gets questioned hard with good justifications why things are different now. Even when all that is met, the situations vary so much US state to state that no general sweeping national statement will hold. Maybe there is truth out there, but no one will believe it.

I am not saying don't go down that rabbit hole, I am just saying that it isn't worth anyone's time doing so. ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Optimism vs pessimism.

World Optimism
(okay, not including Brazil)
This infection can be stopped or at least controlled using better hygiene, social distancing, local lock downs and wearing of masks. Areas can become virus free and kept that way using quarantine and contact tracing. If we do this long enough, the infection will die out.

World Pessimism (okay, not including Brazil)
This virus may not confer long lasting herd immunity. Therefore it may be possible for the same people to be infected multiple times. Without changes in social behaviour there will be multiple waves of infection and many hundreds of thousands of deaths. The after effects can be serious requiring long term or even life time treatment and care.

US Optimism
The infection data is a load of hype. The media are just trying to scare us. Alone of all the educated people of the world, we can see through these lies. We don't really have many infections here (and neither does anyone else). The concerns about long term health effects are over blown. There is no good reason to change anything about our lives or way of doing things.

US Pessimism
There is no stopping the virus. While the infection rate data today is all hype, one day it will be real because the infection will reach almost everyone on the planet, only then will herd immunity put an end to the pandemic. It is all inevitable.

What I don't get is how people in the US will know when to change from thinking all the infection data is hype to seeing their predictions of continued global infections are coming true.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaraR and Stew
Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Don't lose faith Chris, there are good Americans out there. I was speaking to one on Thursday (he was cute and used to be in the army). Brighy as a button and had a world view that is entirely reasonable.

Reactions: Winnet

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Nearly everyone from the US thinks their system is cheaper and better than any outside the US, and an awful lot outside thinks the US system is more expensive and less good than any other in the developed world.

Having read way more discussions than is good for me on Quora about US income, tax and medical vs the same in the UK and Europe, the only thing I can say conclusively is that such discussions are largely futile. The only people who can begin to unravel the complexities are those who have lived and worked for some time on both sides of the Atlantic, or regularly visit family on both sides. If all the experience isn't recent (last 5 years) it gets questioned hard with good justifications why things are different now. Even when all that is met, the situations vary so much US state to state that no general sweeping national statement will hold. Maybe there is truth out there, but no one will believe it.

I am not saying don't go down that rabbit hole, I am just saying that it isn't worth anyone's time doing so. ;)
It seems to me that once you've added up how much you pay in tax + health care "subscription" (be it tax or insurance)+ fees for municipality services like bin collections etc, it pretty much comes to a similar percentage of the income for a given family, regardless of whether it's through taxes or fees.

Reactions: TeeDee

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nearly everyone from the US thinks their system is cheaper and better than any outside the US, and an awful lot outside thinks the US system is more expensive and less good than any other in the developed world. .......
Not quite. We believe Our system is indeed more expensive. We just know we don’t pay for it in high taxes nor at the doctor’s office. The employer pays the vast bulk of our insurance and the insurance pays the bast bulk of our medical costs. We also realize that while our system is more expensive, we can afford it, and more importantly: you get what you pay for.
And again, I did indeed live in the AK for 4 years (albeit 31 years ago) I’ve experienced both your taxes and you medical system.

The single biggest problem with government provided medical care is more insidious than the things discussed so far though. Rather it’s the complete control it gives government. Time and again on one thread or another on this very forum somebody has made a comment that you do have private medicine and anybody wanting may use that instead if they prefer. However the truth is a bit different. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/4/27/17286168/alfie-evans-toddler-uk-explained This in and of itself is far too horrendous a warning against the evlis of even beginning to allow the governemtn to get its foot in the door of private decisions.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
I am suee that for every child who had a problem with the nhs you can find, i can find somebidy with insurance who was bankrupted by healthcare costs in the US, even though they had insurance. Here is my first, a cyclist who fell off his bike.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE