The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You are right...I hadn't realised that was a difference, but it was! There were parents and children, mostly a little older, but not always, and there were couples ambling around. Two to four weeks back couples were a rare sight.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I wash hands before I leave the house with antibac soap.
I wear a mask.
I antibac my hands before entering the shop.
I keep my distance,and wait patiently for the person in front to move on.
I have a list of what I need.
I stick to the list.
I antibac my hands on leaving.
It annoys the heck out of me to see everyone ignoring the rules.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yep they were turning away the second or third person at the door a few weeks ago now it's whole families in there.
Our morrisons even scrapped the queuing system for a few days until people complained

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I must admit I'm guilty of picking up products and putting them back, I need to check the allergens for my wife, but hands get cleaned on the way in and after handling products, no face touching through.

What does frustrate me is the families going in, I've seen multiple adults and kids going in when they're just after one small trolley load of shopping, it should still be one house, one person, one trolley.

100% agreed my other half has fallen out with me when it comes to shopping as I will refuse to go in with her. As a bit of a disclaimer though she is a social person and is struggling mentally with the lack of social life, not that it makes it acceptable you understand.

Patience is what's needed for social distancing.

I actually prefer the queuing system for the supermarket than previous free for all!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I wash hands before I leave the house with antibac soak.

you know its a virus right ;)

seriously though even the most stringent of us will slip up but I don't think it's helps that the government has basically made the whole thing up on the fly and people have just had enough.

when the government announced every single person in a hospital needs to wear a surgical mask it was a) probably 2 months too late, b) didn't check with NHS Supply chain they had enough stock c) warn NHS England who are basically in charge

They also didn't take into account my patients that need to lip-read what I say, that many patients do not have the cognitive function to understand nor those who will just refuse - am I expected to turn a patient away? Never mind the ethics what about legal protection if that person then dies? Odd decision since at the height of infection it was a free-for-all

The whole thing has really been a delay game anyway, we will sooner or later get it or a mutation of it - its a cold virus after all and we all get colds

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Our local co op just doesn't seem to care at all. Trolleys are returned to the rank with no cleaning. As are baskets.
Staff push past and make little effort to distance themselves.
It's only a small local store. It wouldn't hurt to provide and insist on antibac at the door, or to insist on masks like some stores have.
They don't stop families bringing kids in. Little ones are running around touching stuff and putting it back when mom says no.
I'm seriously thinking of starting to get deliveries now instead of shopping for myself despite all my precautions.
I can't be responsible for others thoughtless or selfish behavior, I'm more worried now than I was in the beginning.
We had our first local case after lockdown eased. I've barely been out or communicated with anyone localy so I have no idea what's happening and those few that I have spoken to had no idea there had even been a case..
I've also seen a local care worker from day one going into someone's home a few doors away and they have NEVER worn any PPE or cleaned their hands or worn gloves on entering or leaving!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Folks round here are masked in the supermarkets and shops. There are still queues out side, and follow the arrows inside.
They give folks at least 2m distance when out walking too.

I am very deaf. I struggle to hear people anyway, but without lipreading it's a nightmare.
I haven't been out in months. My husband shops for the few items we don't get delivered and my neighbours talk to me online, on the phone, from a good distance over the fence but where I can see their faces. People seem somewhat resigned to this lasting a little bit longer. Both my husband and Son2 walk for their daily exercise. I just garden :)

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've been on my own since two weeks before lockdown became official.
Very little contact with anyone localy, and that mostly just passing the time of day at a distance.
Everything I had planned for the year is cancelled so I will not be meeting any of my more far flung friends for at least a year. It's pretty heartbreaking as since I lost my son and partner I've relied on these things to keep me mentally and physicaly healthy.
I am finding that I'm be comming very grouchy when people don't stick to the rules.
I could ignore them too and say that meeting people is far more important but I have found that the time I've had to myself without others around has been quite beneficial in many ways.
I'm now happy with my own company, sleep better, eat better,and even if I've had a trapped nerve since Friday which has made life a bit of a struggle the last few days, I have found an unknown reserve of strength to be able to deal with it, where as in the past I would have called on a friend for help.
It hasn't been easy at all when even making a cup of tea or going to the loo is a major pain fest!
Perhaps I've become resigned, but I havnt given up yet!
Like others I can't wait for more freedom but I'm not going to take unessasary risks.
I've learned to be happy with what I have rather than yearning for things I can't.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Bloomin eck woody girl. Keep strong and keep your chin up! I always find in times of loneliness that nature is a great friend. Probably the best one a human can get. Shame that so many people choose to ignore it!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Bloomin eck woody girl. Keep strong and keep your chin up! I always find in times of loneliness that nature is a great friend. Probably the best one a human can get. Shame that so many people choose to ignore it!

I'm fine... mostly! Taking things very gently and just not fussing about stuff that isn't getting done.
I do feel somewhat lonely but it's bearable.
Before lockdown I bought some mindfulness coluring books on fairies and angels. Saved them for such a time as this. So I'm having a great time running out of felt tips colouring pens!
I have been using my imagination and have many blue haired fairies and pink
And purple mushrooms.
They are on my bedroom walls when finished, so I'm surrounded by angels, purple mushrooms, and blue haired fairies! :) :)
Help I've lost the plot and gone ga ga! :) :)

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I think everyone is losing the plot to some degree. I'm pretty sure I'm more unhinged than what I was before lockdown! Aren't the best people the most unhinged though? That's what I tell myself :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've sewn since I was three years old. Seriously, my Aunt sat me down on my Granny's footstool, put a tiny silver thimble on me (it was one meant for the Christmas Dumpling :) ) and showed me how to make stitches through a piece of gingham. I'd already watched my Mum, my Granny and my Aunts sewing though, so it wasn't unfamiliar, iimmc ?

I've made a dozen little quilts for Linus Project and three full sized ones, since lock down kicked off.
I am slowly but surely getting through my UFO (unfinished objects) pile too :)
I've run out of places to stash the Kilner jars of canned produce, and they're now stacked in boxes. It's not to British Red's standard of organisation, but the food's good :) and I'm not colouring, but I am watercolouring :) (have you tried watercolour pencils, Woody girl ? I'm painting, but the pencils might be very good for the books)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm not colouring, but I am watercolouring :) (have you tried watercolour pencils, Woody girl ? I'm painting, but the pencils might be very good for the books)

Ooooh, I love my watercolour pencils; you probably already know, but if you apply a light spray over your colouring you can create a pointillism effect. I used to have an excellent video tutorial by Faber-Castell for Albrecht Durer pencils - alas on VHS. I wonder if it's on YouTube :)

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oh these last two pages have got me riled.

*** are parents supposed to do with their kid(s) when they're the child minder in order to allow the other half to work. The other half might be a key worker but they're school won't take the kids because one parent is a furloughed worker. That happens and it's common. Even if the other isn't a key worker but is still working. They're helping keep the economy ticking over so they're still key workers IMHO.

From day one our local Tescos, Booths and Aldi let parents with kids through often not treating the kids as part of the number in matching those coming out. A very sensible attitude unlike those of anyone complaining about parents with the kids they're supposed to look after.

So hands up who thinks it's right to make primary school age or pre school age stand alone outside shops and supermarkets while the adult goes in to shop? It happened on day one of lockdown at our town's Boots chemist because of a right jobsworth assistant. An 8 year old was outside being talked to by a cantankerous old man moaning about everything and giving her grief for being there. He had back cancer apparently which was the only reason I didn't tell him to back off and STFU!I should have done and regret it. Turns out the mother was only there getting her elderly and vulnerable neighbour's medication. That was why it was taking so long.

Anyway the only issue you could reasonably have with a single adult taking kids into supermarkets with them is if the kids are running riot. Kids from even early primary school age can understand it's strange times and better behaviour is needed. However I understand how unruly bored kids stuck at home day in day out can get even with the best of parenting techniques.

One last point I make is observational based on local activity here. Every easing of restrictions that get announced, not even in use, results in a corresponding ignoring of the restrictions that still apply. Every relaxation means social distancing goes out and all the worst behaviour comes in. That's behaviour that would have not even been acceptable before this pandemic started! Lockdown and the easing of it has created a society that its worse than it ever was before IME.

Don't believe me? Well IMHO the attitude towards parents with kids in supermarkets is symptomatic of a lack of understanding towards others and a lack of care for others.

I lied! It wasn't my last point / rant. I have another. It's mask or face covering wearing. Cover your mouth and nose, once on leave it alone until back at home or in car. Do not fiddle with it or remove it to talk on your phone or especially at the checkout. Also don't treat mask wearing as enough and ignore social distancing whether you're the one wearing a mask or the other person is. Mask wearing is a little bit of extra protection for others around you. It's not very effective and is a last little bit extra. Social distancing and sanitizing/ washing your hands, not touching your face and not playing around with food to find the ones with the extra day on the BBE date which you'll never hit anyway.

Sorry but this pandemic started with a two weeks or so honeymoon of very community minded attitudes and behaviours. Certainly after the first talk of or announcement of easing that ended among most of society. Indeed first nice weather weekend probably did for it too. Put bluntly I see it in some posts on here too.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Not wishing or intending to be pedantic or argumentative in any way but people such as you describe can get grocery deliveries and order on the Internet. So realy there isn't much of an excuse to trail kids around a store.
If I had been the mother you described I would not have left the child outside alone but either made sure some other person I knew was looking after her outside or told my neighbour that I could not get the meds and why and made arrangements for someone else to fetch them.
Most pharmacy have a delivery system for vunerable people so that possibility should have been explored as soon as lockdown started. I get my meds delivered even though I have a surgery with pharmacy 200 yards away.
There is no reason why whole families have to go shopping together even if one is working. There must be a time when the other partner is at home and able to mind the kids while the other shops if delivery isn't possible.
There is always a solution to a problem. You just have to look for it rather than dig your heels in and say it's not possible.
Having been a single mum during the week with partner only home at weekends for nearly sixteen years . We could always make it work. Why should it be different now?.
For full time single mum's it might be different. But they could still get deliveries. Or maybe a neighbour could help out.
There have been many covid shopping help schemes for those that find it difficult.
I can ring our local one and just ask them to get me some milk if I need to, or they will do a full shop. So you see its not that hard.

Reactions: Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I really dont know what to say to all this.

Im trying to keep mellow.

On the plus side the feathers are doing really well.

Do you think I should take up flying? With the dry weather AP should be a priority.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Not wishing or intending to be pedantic or argumentative in any way but people such as you describe can get grocery deliveries and order on the Internet. So realy there isn't much of an excuse to trail kids around a store.
If I had been the mother you described I would not have left the child outside alone but either made sure some other person I knew was looking after her outside or told my neighbour that I could not get the meds and why and made arrangements for someone else to fetch them.
Most pharmacy have a delivery system for vunerable people so that possibility should have been explored as soon as lockdown started. I get my meds delivered even though I have a surgery with pharmacy 200 yards away.
There is no reason why whole families have to go shopping together even if one is working. There must be a time when the other partner is at home and able to mind the kids while the other shops if delivery isn't possible.
There is always a solution to a problem. You just have to look for it rather than dig your heels in and say it's not possible.
Having been a single mum during the week with partner only home at weekends for nearly sixteen years . We could always make it work. Why should it be different now?.
For full time single mum's it might be different. But they could still get deliveries. Or maybe a neighbour could help out.
There have been many covid shopping help schemes for those that find it difficult.
I can ring our local one and just ask them to get me some milk if I need to, or they will do a full shop. So you see its not that hard.

Absolute rubbish. I can tell you for a fact that we can’t get deliveries and we used to get them week in week out. You say that you don’t go out yet know what everyone is doing. You say that you don’t order online but know how it’s working for everyone else.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I didn't say I never go out. Just that when I do I take every precaution and witness others flouting the rules.
I see how deliveries work for my neighbours as I live in a cul de sac.
I also have our local covid newsletter delivered which gives info.
And I do listen to the news on the radio.
So if that's rubbish then so be it.
Like I said I don't want to argue the toss .
But where there is a will there is a way.
Sounds like you are stressed out.
You are not alone. Take care.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I wash hands before I leave the house with antibac soap.
I wear a mask.
I antibac my hands before entering the shop.
I keep my distance,and wait patiently for the person in front to move on.
I have a list of what I need.
I stick to the list.
I antibac my hands on leaving.
It annoys the heck out of me to see everyone ignoring the rules.

But you keep saying you don’t go out into shops and ring someone to bring you milk. Your meds are delivered from 200yds away from a surgery/pharmacy (where rules tend to be observed). But then you say you do go to the shops. And you repeatedly say you cannot internet shop when almost anyone can. I don’t get it either, sorry. If you’re going to be vocal, you can’t just pass off a comment with “You sound stressed”, it’s patronising and rude. Particularly for Stew as he has had the disease. I’ve known the guy a long time, and he’s a lot more level headed than you come across as at times.

This is not a dig, I appreciate what you’re saying and generally agree. But the times I’ve read of you knowing the disease is coming, locking down early, prepping weeks before, telling people off in shops etc. Your personal circumstances make you vulnerable, I understand your fears, but not why or how many times you post about it. There are many of us who are just getting on with it, being sensible, and avoiding any shops that aren’t toeing the line. Apart from a word to the Sainsbury’s manager about a brainstorming staff session in the cafe area where they were sat 4 to a table, I’ll just walk away. I might well be heard offering a few choice words under my breath, but I’m not going to pull people up for anything.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE