Delete this for the love of god. Lesson learnt, don't ask.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well I'm sure that most people who ask for advice tend to take it... after all why ask if you are not going to listen?
Nobody has been rude... just pointedly honest.
Ignore at your peril.
We are all frustrated with the way things are believe me.... you are not alone there, but you will be giving bushcraft a bad name and nobody wants that. It could even lead to it be comming illegal. Do you want that?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
/edit, you know what, my business is my business.

Peace.

I'm sorry that you're suffering from terminal lung cancer but that does not give you the right to think you're above the law and flout it.

You''re wrong saying it isn't illegal what you intend to do, if you are caught you will be turned back if you cross the border into Scotland.

Show some respect for the people who are obeying the lockdown laws and find somewhere in England where you can go loose yourself and find some peace

Reactions: richy3333

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
/edit, you know what, my business is my business.

Peace.

Well, actually, no it's not. What you are proposing to do will potentially affect a lot of people - may even kill someone, so it's our business. You chose to advertise you were going to do something stupid (not a word I use often or lightly) so accept the criticism like a grown-up.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well this has been thoroughly unpleasant but probably hardened my resolve even more to be honest.

I can't respond to each of your comments individually but It's illegal to camp anywhere in Essex.
It's not illegal to do what I've planned, just ill advised by a community of quite aggressive people.

Thanks to the odd couple that were polite.

You have been a member here for long enough to know that that isn't a fair assessment of this community. Just because you don't post doesn't mean you can't read. I read a lot more than I post on a lot of forums, and get a feel for the places as a result.

There have been a number of threads on here in recent weeks about the response to the pandemic, both people's personal choices and general disbelief at the choices of large numbers of people reported in the news. You haven't posted in three years, so no one really knows you from Adam, and you describe doing the very thing that has been enraging the members who live in Scotland, Wales, and the North East and South West of the country.

When you throw a rock and it hits a bee hive, you can't blame the bees for getting mad.

Maybe if you had led with your condition and the steps you were taking you might, maybe, have had a more friendly response, but you chose to post like this was just a jolly jaunt you were taking because you fancied it. Not that I think it would have change the advice to stay away, but might have softened the delivery.

Regards

Chris

Reactions: MrEd

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
To be honest, this community is saved by the kindness of the private messages.
The one complaining about not following advice; I asked for kit advice.
The one that decided to read both versions of my message and use my condition as a trivial note can go to hell, I'll see you there.
Chris, I shouldn't have to lead with my condition. If you can happily compare your community to a 'bee hive' I'd question the community not the person who stumbled upon it.

I've been around since 2014. Now I remember why I don't post much at all.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well this has been thoroughly unpleasant but probably hardened my resolve even more to be honest.

I can't respond to each of your comments individually but It's illegal to camp anywhere in Essex.
It's not illegal to do what I've planned, just ill advised by a community of quite aggressive people.

Thanks to the odd couple that were polite.

Scottish Government advice, today.

• People should continue to stay in their local area as much as possible and should not travel more than around five miles for leisure or recreation

There has to be someplace closer to home that you can go than you travelling the length of the England to get to Scotland.

Reactions: Woody girl

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
On the topic of insulation during summer trips:
Under quilts are definitely needed this time of year too, unless it's going to be up towards 20*C at night, I'd bring it. If you sleep warm, a blanket might be better than a (warm) sleeping bag, but it can still get cold in summer. If you only have a winter sleeping bag and sleep warm, perhaps two blankets might be lighter? I just bring my winter sleeping bag and use it as a duvet if it's warm.
For the same reason, bring a jacket and a warm layer. Annoying if you hit a heat wave, yes, but it can get plenty cold if you have rain/wind/humid weather or are at higher elevations. If weight is an issue, try it out at home ahead of time during some not-so-nice weather at the same time of year.

Reactions: TroubledTalent

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Please stay out of Wales and the same plea to anyone from out of Wales
I too need woods time to maintain mental health - I do it locally, and am home by evening to stay within the rules.
I have to do all the shopping etc to protect my "vulnerable" wife - and hate it! It does my mental health no good.
I do not need to stumble over anyone visiting - against the rules - in the woods. It adds to my stress!
"Stay home, protect the NHS, Save lives" is better than "Be a jerk, flout the rules, Spread the virus"
Do not act like a self centered government official - please!

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
You probably should have become an MP?MSP
Scottish Government advice, today.

• People should continue to stay in their local area as much as possible and should not travel more than around five miles for leisure or recreation

There has to be someplace closer to home that you can go than you travelling the length of the England to get to Scotland.
some of the parts you may have missed

Further changes to lockdown restrictions in Scotland have been announced today (Thursday, 18 June) by First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.

Those shielding are now able to go outdoors for exercise from today. From tomorrow (Friday, 19 June) those shielding can take part in non-contact outdoor activities and can meet one other household, in groups of no more than eight outdoors. Physical distancing and strict hygiene measures must still be followed, even if you live with those people.

It doesn't actually list all the the non-contact activities, but it does mention Golf, Fishing, etc,

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I am of course hoping that you're planning your trip in preparation for when the restrictions are eventually lifted and wish you a really nice trip then.

But if you are going while they are still in place, then it's illegal and I can't see how it would come as a suprise to you that people would point that out to you when you go advertising it on a forum.

Reactions: Toddy

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I am literally going to make contact with not a single soul. I have meticulously planned my routes to be as over cautions as possible. I have an advanced medical kit that I wouldn't usually take.

I might not get a chance again, so I'm going. If the police stop me I'll plead my case to them. The Police up north are incredibly reasonable people in my experience.
I was born in Scotland, I invested money in the Yes campaign. I came up on the day of the announcement to celebrate and it was like someone had died.
I just want to sit at a campfire alone, legally and in silence.

Thank you to the people that gave the advice I asked.

I'd like this thread to just be deleted please. This has been quite an upset.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just a small point. If you have lung cancer... should you not be shielding instead of going out on jaunts?
I have a friend suffering from a terminal condition. This may well be his last few months on this earth but he is staying home and not going out at all. No visitors apart from fully kitted care givers.
It is breaking my heart to know that instead of making memories for his children and grandchildren he is isolated at home with no chance of meeting them or even giving them a hug .
It breaks my heart so I can't imagine how it feels for him.
Everyone is suffering with this in some way. You cannot acknowledge that and are just being plain rude to those trying to help you with pertinent advice.
If you won't listen and just come back with nasty words to those who are only trying to help with common sense advice perhaps you ..as has been said... need to take a good look at yourself.
A positive mental attitude is what gets you through hard times. Not shooting the messenger.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Huge thank you to the private messages;

"Further changes to lockdown restrictions in Scotland have been announced today (Thursday, 18 June) by First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.

Those shielding are now able to go outdoors for exercise from today. From tomorrow (Friday, 19 June) those shielding can take part in non-contact outdoor activities and can meet one other household, in groups of no more than eight outdoors. Physical distancing and strict hygiene measures must still be followed, even if you live with those people."
Yes, but " People should continue to stay in their local area as much as possible and should not travel more than around five miles for leisure or recreation "

Reactions: Chainsaw and Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Only your enthusiasm - don't come into Wales or go up to Scotland. Visiting areas away from your home is considered selfish as it potentially puts an unnecessary strain on limited resources in rural areas.

You may, of course, justify it to yourself.
Why do people just say Wales and Scotland? Don't go to any areas that's not close to home. Do not just limit Scotland and Wales like they're the only populations and services to be saved.

Sorry if that's argumentative. It's just that every area of the UK has its own levels of risk. Exposure of high infection to low or different strains can be problematic across areas of the whole of UK, norn iron and the Republic too.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I wish to wade on on whether you should come up to Scotland with some advice based on a colleagues experience. He's grown up in and lived in a village his whole life. He is pillar within the community organising the games, fishing competitions etc and a genuine good guy. He moved his family to a nearby city renting a house to make it easier to do his job but kept his house in the village returning to it at the weekend and every opportunity they could. He and his family moved out of the city and back to the village he'd grown up in. They were challenged for about two weeks about their decision to move back.

So my advice; expect to be challenged irrespective of who owns what land. Do not expect people to be sympathetic to you 'wanting to get away from it all'. To offer some perspective you may well be a 'carrier' but showing no symptoms. If you do get sick you will be a burden on a health system that is considerably smaller in scale from where you're from and you don't pay into. Areas that have had no cases, Islay for example, do not want anyone coming in without them having a firm plan of their living, interaction and departure. Emergency services, some of which rely on volunteers, do not want to waste their time looking for someone who got into trouble that has the potential to hazard them not from the task but from C19. Bear in mind they have to buy their own PPE to protect you and them during a rescue. No volunteer emergency service is flush with cash at any time. I seen a recent post from a mountain rescue team in Wales essentially telling people to stay away.

I recognise you asked for advice on kit and got a lot of unwanted feedback on whether you should travel at all. If you did not expect that in these times I regard you as naive. I'm not trying to be insulting but that's the most pleasant way I could put that. Your viewpoint might be that I'm not going to be interacting with anyone. Any hard surface you touch could pass the virus on to you that you then distribute as you make your way north and on to your Nans gate.

On your kit; if you're coming to Scotland at any time of the year and considering not bringing an insulative layer, windproof and waterproof outer shell, top and bottom, with you, best you stay at home.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's critical for my mental health that I take some time out yearly and this is what I do.
The entire point is isolation from every human possible.
I understand your concern but I'm even taking jerry cans of fuel so I don't have to stop anywhere.
I leave my car on a bit of land that my nan owns and I take off into the highlands.
(Just to note, my nan doesn't live there)

Sorry if that's offensive.
I understand going out for mental health in reasons but is there no possibility of meeting your mental health needs locally?

The other point people might be answer for me is whether it's legal to carry Jerry cans full of fuel? I thought there was a limit which doesn't get you that far.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
From the Government web site:

1.1 What can I do that I couldn’t do before?

As before, you cannot:
  • stay away from your home or your support bubble household overnight - including holidays - except for in a limited set of circumstances, such as for work purposes
1.7 Are there restrictions on how far I can travel for my exercise or outdoor activity?

No. You can travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance, as long as you can return the same night and do not put others at risk because of services you may need in the time you are away. You should continue to avoid using public transport and should cycle, walk or drive wherever possible.

If visiting other parts of the UK – Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – you must adhere to the laws and guidance of the devolved administrations at all times.

1.10 Are day trips and holidays ok? Can people stay in second homes?

Day trips to outdoor open space are permitted as long as you can return the same night.

You are not permitted to stay overnight away from the place where you or your support bubble are living - for a holiday or similar purpose - in the UK or overseas.

Reactions: Toddy and SaraR

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I understand going out for mental health in reasons but is there no possibility of meeting your mental health needs locally?

The other point people might be answer for me is whether it's legal to carry Jerry cans full of fuel? I thought there was a limit which doesn't get you that far.
I was a professional Horticulturalist and Landscaper, I have a bunch of City and guilds licenses for different things, the PA1 covers safe transport of hazardous liquids, so I have a large Chemical Safe in the back of my ford ranger.
Have checked through the rules and requirements and I am allowed 400L* which is about 5 tanks. I can get there in 1 and a half.

/edit, sorry forgot to respond to your other question; I wish they could be met locally but It's against the law and the Police in Essex are a cancer of their own.

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I was going to say, when i was doing International freight, to the middle East I used to carry 1500 litres in the belly tank on the trailer, as well as 800 litres in the motors tanks, quite legally, as long as the tanks or cans meet the proper criteria,

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE