Folding knife with saw blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
Long time no post. Sorry... :rolleyes:
I'm partial to a bit of stick making and usually carry an Opinel saw and an old Schrade Old Timer but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reasonable option available of something combined? The Swiss army type have a neat little saw but I just wonder if there's something the size of a Buck 110 with a beefier saw blade anywhere? I've had a scout around but haven't found anything yet. Thanks.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Puma make a few variations

Puma game warden is close to a Buck in style but I think its bigger?

there's also the PLAINSMAN 971 that's closer to the buck in size IIRC

Last edited:
Reactions: Lemoneyewash
Jul 10, 2008
Australia
New - one of the 111cm size SAKs from Victorinox

Used - a GAK : the knife that the German Army used to issue to the troops before they went to the Victorinox lockknife eg

They were available in disposals stores a few years ago, can probably find one on eBay. They are based on the 111cm Victorinox Safari and are a slipjoint so probably UK-legal.

Reactions: Lemoneyewash

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
The GAKs are great knives I'm lucky enough to have found a Victorinox one but Miltec ones seem to be the most available now

There is of course the Mauser version, not got one myself as they fetch big prices these days

fbe2bf2d92719e4c6e0e0f4f3d4a332f.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
The GAKs are great knives I'm lucky enough to have found a Victorinox one but Miltec ones seem to be the most available now

There is of course the Mauser version, not got one myself as they fetch big prices these days

I had a Mauser and sold the bloomin' thing.
Eejit...

Reactions: swotty

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
My edc is a victorinox alox farmer, cut and whittled many a stick with it.
And UK legal. Perhaps smaller than you were thinking but does the job.
PREPER........ :)

Reactions: WULF and Laurentius

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
My edc is a victorinox alox farmer, cut and whittled many a stick with it.
And UK legal. Perhaps smaller than you were thinking but does the job.
PREPER........ :)
Yep, got an Alox Harvester which is great and the saw is great for thin sticks, I just want something a bit beefier.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I don't think you'll get a better saw on a folder than a SAK - I'd just size up as has been suggested

plenty of Victorinox options out there

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though

I still have a Mauser almost pristine but still had a little use.

If you after something bigger than the SAK Huntsman, try the Outrider a larger SAK with lockable blade and a larger saw.

Here is a Link at a good price too

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
victorinox from the ranger series have the longest saw blade. When I bought my outrider I looked on the then wenger ranger series but thought they where to long and heavy. As I find my outrider to long to carry and that the extra saw bladelenght does give that much advantage over a shorter victorinox Im still not much wiser. If I want a saw for little jobs and/or some cuts that is done very infrekvent I think my choice is something like my Hiker or farmer. If there is a plan to cut wood but I still want to keep the weight down a folding saw from huskvarna and some of my other foldingknifes or a fixed one is better för me. The "problem" with victorinox is that the saw is so great even in the shorter models that I just can justify the extra weight with a larger if its just the saw and knife that is the main tools I want.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I had a Puma with a saw once .... like this: Handles better than a 110. There's a bunch of old German folding hunters with saws on them

KLC10120.jpg

Reactions: Sieddy

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Another SAK knife is the locksmith, it is a liner lock straight blade one handed opening larger sak with saw, 3 sided file, lockable large blade, locking large screwdriver/bottle opener, can opener/smaller screwdriver, phillips screwdriver(instead of the corkscrew), reamer, toothpick and tweezers. I believe it now the only one handed opening locking blade which is all straight blade with no serrations.

Here are two links for the knives:
https://www.armysales.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1433

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I was chuffed to bits when Victorinox brought out the new Alox Farmer SX scissors and saw in a knife that is still not too fat, it is the best EDC UK legal knife ever in my opinion. Saw apart what I like about the knife blade is that it is the chunkiest of SAK blades. Other than that, in the same leather pouch I carry my Farmer I have two pieces of hacksaw blade with a small leather grip holding them together, the one is handy for sawing off nuts and bolts, the other is a good firestriker for my ferro rod.

Reactions: slasha9

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Got one 30 years ago.

Great knife - had it retro fitted with wooden scales. Unfortunately these cracked (Joy's if living in a damp cottage for yeats then moving)

Refitted plastic from one of the miltec copies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE