Ray Mears/Lars Falt book Out on the Land - Opinions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 10, 2008
Australia
If you have this book what's your opinion of it? Is it a practical bushcraft/survival book in the mode of Ray's Bushcraft or Essential Bushcraft books or more on the lines of his Northern Wilderness book - pretty pictures but not a lot of advice that you could put into practice if you crashlanded in the Canadian wilderness.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Defiantly worth getting in my opinion. Some of the info is regurgitated from his past books if I remember rightly but really worth a read. Its more like Rays book Bushcraft and a similar size. A great addition to any bookshelf. Maybe you could find it in a library to have a flick through before buying as I remember it being quite expensive.

Jul 10, 2008
Australia
Defiantly worth getting in my opinion. Some of the info is regurgitated from his past books if I remember rightly but really worth a read. Its more like Rays book Bushcraft and a similar size. A great addition to any bookshelf. Maybe you could find it in a library to have a flick through before buying as I remember it being quite expensive.
I'm in Oz and it isn't listed in any library in the country according to the Trove database. Since Ray doesn't have the public profile here that he does in the UK I doubt that I'll find it in any physical bookshop either. Hence my asking for opinions before spending my hard-earned $.

Re regurgitating content I guess some of that's inevitable if the book is going to be a standalone guide to Northern survival since the authors can't assume that everybody has read the previous books.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I think it's a good book, I have Ray's earlier books and would agree that there is some duplication but not so much that I feel that Out on the Land is just a remake if you get my drift. Ray seems to have changed his mind about the best way to go about some things, or perhaps this is Lars' influence showing through. It is a large format book, not the sort of thing one might take into the field, and is very nicely presented with many high quality photographs. Some are detailed documentation of a process and others more broadly illustrative. At first glance this might make it seem a bit of a coffee-table book but the devil is in the detail. There is plenty of information in there but it is not a manual either. I would emphasise that the focus is on the boreal, not much directly relevant to life in Australia.

Reactions: Man of Tanith

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE