The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
We have a local birch wood fen here, 15 mins from home it’s 86 hectares, Not big but enough to get lost for a couple hours we come every week sometimes 3 or 4 times no matter the weather, we don’t see a single soul, the last month it’s been cars lining all the narrow gravel roads bins overflowing with disposable bbqs and rubbish everywhere. Usually I walk around foraging etc il pick up the rare bottle/crisp packet that looks like it’s been there a while now it’s enough to make me feel like I don’t want to go back. Wood berry’s etc trampled, dog sh*te everywhere, and sunflower seeds like trails of breadcrumbs. And it’s just not possible to social distance there.

Reactions: Paul_B

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I know we don’t do politics here and for good reason, but I don’t buy the cunmings incident, I think it’s another distraction tactic, I think it’s been smoke and mirrors from the start, they locked us down to late gave us misinformation and now everyone else is easing so we can’t look weak by keeping our lockdown, they ran a pandemic scenario in 2016 and when they pressed the gov they refused to release the data, Built 8 huge hospitals that are standing empty, hopefully not for what’s next to come, - that’s all the political opinions you’ll hear from me, sorry lol :poke: :headbang:

Strangely there was an app based experiment conducted by the BBC called Contagion in 2018 to look at how a virus might turn into a pandemic that was based in Haslemere. The very place our actual patient zero was discovered to have been a spreader.

Reactions: Short_edc and SaraR

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
We're they panicking when they built those hospitals or do they know something they're not telling us? Makes you wonder. No wonder there are so many conspiracy theories and people ignoring lockdown rules. You just don't know what or who to believe anymore. Such a mess.

Reactions: Short_edc

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Or maybe getting ready for bj's theory of herd immunity that he's determined to push through dressed up any way he can...like easing lockdown for health and sanity reasons (aka financial gain and blow how many die... as long as we look as if we are doing something about the sick)
Have you seen the photos of the incident with the lemmings at durdle door in Dorset?
A contact tracers worst nightmare!

Reactions: Short_edc

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Have you seen the photos of the incident with the lemmings at durdle door in Dorset?

Blimey...just looked at the pictures, I'm seriously starting to think that there's a lot more stupid people out there than could have ever imagined!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: Woody girl

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
Or maybe getting ready for bj's theory of herd immunity that he's determined to push through dressed up any way he can...like easing lockdown for health and sanity reasons (aka financial gain and blow how many die... as long as we look as if we are doing something about the sick)
No I’ve got a media blackout going on, and i don’t own a t.v anymore so it’s easy to forget, I know that I’ve got more than my share of masks, sanitizer etc now that there available incase it’s like it was at the beginning, or they become compulsory! but I’m concerned about flu season, and if we haven’t had another peak by then I think that’ll do it, but Borris won’t be so keen to lock all of us down again, so it’ll be more like out of the frying pan into the fryer.

Reactions: Woody girl

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
About the only business that is booming is funeral directors.
I bet they're rubbing their hands in glee with this idea.
Over here anyone selling take away food is doing a booming business. On the other hand funerals have been prohibited to nothing more than 25 family members at a short graveside service (until a couple of weeks ago it was no more than 10 family members) That said, I lost an old childhood friend about 3 weeks ago and a reasonably larye crowd managed to assemble graveside without violating the size issues. They gathered in groups of 10 ——- many, many groups of 10 clustered around the cemetery. No, he didn’t die of the virus. He had a stroke.

Ride share businesses such as Uber are also doing really, really well. They‘re make pizza and other cooked food deliveries for restautants that don’t have their own delivery drivers. That and the uptick because people call them instead of using public transportation.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I thought all nightingale hospitals have been stood down because they're not needed. I believe some never were needed or used. So what does that say about the pandemic and the powers that be reaction to it? Anyone hear the word overreaction yet????

I've seen a published, peer reviewed research into virus spreading in schools compared to other sections of society. The research showed that they're no worse than other, similarly packed establishments such as offices or factories where people are similarly closely packed. Having seen colds and other bugs fly around at work despite most workers practically distance themselves at work anyway I can see it being true. Anyway, apparently that research has been backed up elsewhere. It's not the location but the proximity and habits.

Sorry but I firmly believe this lockdown has been handled to protect the minority and I believe the majority will be ok post lockdown. Keep protecting the vulnerable include identifying them properly. Lockdown and support for them then object phased return to business as close to normal for those people this virus isn't significantly harming.

As someone who believes it's an older virus than officially claimed, namely the UK had it December even November, I think there has been a very bad handling of the situation. Lockdown was right but I don't believe in the way it was. And without being political, and I think banging on about Boris makes it political, this handling of the pandemic would never have been handled much better by any political party of they had been in power. Part of the problem is the government scientists advising government have chosen the wrong model for this virus. With modelling, rubbish in means rubbish out.

Of course I'm probably not toeing the preppers natural tendency that I suspect is strong among members on this site.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
About the only business that is booming is funeral directors.
I bet they're rubbing their hands in glee with this idea.

That really is a disgraceful attitude to take to say they're happy to make money from this.

The ones I've spoken with or seen interviewed are horrified with it all because they see the pain and misery up close a death under the new rules cause and they hate it. They sure as hell aren't happy to be profiting from it.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I thought all nightingale hospitals have been stood down because they're not needed. I believe some never were needed or used. So what does that say about the pandemic and the powers that be reaction to it? Anyone hear the word overreaction yet????

I've seen a published, peer reviewed research into virus spreading in schools compared to other sections of society. The research showed that they're no worse than other, similarly packed establishments such as offices or factories where people are similarly closely packed. Having seen colds and other bugs fly around at work despite most workers practically distance themselves at work anyway I can see it being true. Anyway, apparently that research has been backed up elsewhere. It's not the location but the proximity and habits.

Sorry but I firmly believe this lockdown has been handled to protect the minority and I believe the majority will be ok post lockdown. Keep protecting the vulnerable include identifying them properly. Lockdown and support for them then object phased return to business as close to normal for those people this virus isn't significantly harming.

As someone who believes it's an older virus than officially claimed, namely the UK had it December even November, I think there has been a very bad handling of the situation. Lockdown was right but I don't believe in the way it was. And without being political, and I think banging on about Boris makes it political, this handling of the pandemic would never have been handled much better by any political party of they had been in power. Part of the problem is the government scientists advising government have chosen the wrong model for this virus. With modelling, rubbish in means rubbish out.

Of course I'm probably not toeing the preppers natural tendency that I suspect is strong among members on this site.
I thoroughly disagree.

I think that across the board, at almost all levels, too little was done too late and now we're throwing caution to the wind by opening up too quickly.

Most of my colleagues who work on medical microbiology and virology have been and continue to be very concerned. These are not people who are natural worriers or don't understand the impact on the economy etc, but very much the opposite, yet they are working flat out to make leaders at different levels take the virus serious enough and to help with planning safe and feasible ways of opening things back up.

I was very impressed by the nightingale hospitals but worried that they would result in this exact reaction. ICUs across the country were running very close to full capacity, but instead of applauding the initiative to ensure there was spare capacity, they get criticised. What if there had been a traffic accident involving a bus, a derailed train or a fire in an apartment block? Or just a fraction more idiots flouting the social distancing rules, thereby pushing up the number of people getting seriously ill with COVID-19...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I thoroughly disagree.

I was very impressed by the nightingale hospitals but worried that they would result in this exact reaction. ICUs across the country were running very close to full capacity

The Nightingale Hospitals were a broken consept from the start and were only there to look like we had addititonal capacity - 500 beds sounds great on paper its a shame they would have needed 2000+ ITU staff to run them at a minimum.

There was no staff to run them - if Barts, St thomas etc.wanted to send patients they were told they had to loose staff ...crazy idea from the start when major centeres with all the expertise would suffer.

What they should have done is use the capacity to look after the people who fell ill in the care homes (even those with mild symptoms) - rather than let them become breeding grounds

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......I've seen a published, peer reviewed research into virus spreading in schools compared to other sections of society. The research showed that they're no worse than other, similarly packed establishments such as offices or factories where people are similarly closely packed. Having seen colds and other bugs fly around at work despite most workers practically distance themselves at work anyway I can see it being true. Anyway, apparently that research has been backed up elsewhere. It's not the location but the proximity and habits........
Mostly true but it’s a little more complex. Location in the sense I believe you mean (a school bs a shop) is irrelevant in and of itself. However most sources I’ve seen do say that outdoor locations are much, much safer than indoors. Also the real problem at schools isn’t just the location, it’s children’s natural tendency to interact is more pronounced and more difficult to enforce distancing protocols.

Reactions: Dougster
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

The corona virus is a "novel" virus, meaning new strain. In history spanish flu, hong kong flu, china flu, russian flu where all novel viruses. Basically no one has had them before. First you get a mild extremley fast spreading virus, such as corona. Something to do with the mass simultaneous infection means that a mutation occours in the initial virus to a deadlier form as seen in the above pandemics.

Basically everyone is right, corona is not all that lethal considering spanish flu was killing 10,000 a day across the board, but this easing of the speed of infection may mean that the mutation does not occour.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
There's already two types isn't there? Would that be the mutated version and original? Or could the original be what everyone reckons they had last year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE