Great Spotted Woodpecker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was up the woods again this morning at 7.30 AM - 12 hours after seeing the chick - still there, plaintively calling and all on his own in the nest. Momma came and gave him a feed, so he is not completely alone....
I will check on him later in the day :)
We have lots of Woodpeckers around here and here them in the woods opposite our house (that I do not have access to :( ) and this is where our visitors to the feeders come from. The nest I watch is about a third to a half mile away so I doubt that the chicks now visiting the feeders are the ones I saw in the nest.
Another nest I watch - less often as it is further away and not on such a nice walk :) - flew about 4 days ago about 12 hours after I saw the chicks being "encouraged" out of the nest by the parent bird.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's a GSW nest in a standing dead ash near my camp in the wood. The chicks were making so much noise yesterday I had to walk to a different part of the wood to eat my meal :) They are clearly not afraid of being predated; you could hear them from over 100m away! When the parent arrived to feed them she didn't like me standing at the bottom of the tree and started making a kind of 'clicking' noise I'd never heard before - and that was with a beak full of grubs.

Last edited:

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I'm really enjoying this thread. It's lovely to read these stories of nature unfolding. For better or worse.

I've had little clouds of sparrows landing in my garden this morning. They're usually bustling around the hedges at the front of the house. I noticed some chicks in the group today as well. Almost fully fledged but still being fed by parents.
They're pecking away on the ground where I've laid some new grass seed. I don't think they're eating that, but I can't make out what they're eating.
I just hope the local cats don't get them. Far less natural!

I'm glad to hear it's potential good news about your woodland John. Let's hope the new owners are friendly.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just been back up to the woods (after a morning walking other local woods) and the nest seems deserted.
But - I could hear a chick calling and eventually traced the calls to a tree by the road 100m away ... where I saw a very young juvenile sitting on a tree branch. A passing car scared him off but I could still hear cheeping deeper in the woods - well away from the nest tree....
I have never before seen or heard the juvies near the nest tree once they have flown - this is a most unusual year!

LukeR

May 9, 2020
Glasgow
Our local woodpeckers must be following this thread. One arrived on the bird feeder for the first time in several weeks. Could it be a new arrival?
I've had one on my peanut feeder every day for the last week after not having had one come down all winter. It could be a change in the availability of food, although that seems strange coming into spring..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE