Berghaus Vulcan/Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I’ve been fortunate to be able to spend money on some high end backpacks. Whilst spring cleaning during lockdown I realised I hadn’t actually used them very much and thought about the money invested in them. In short I shifted them on and found it quite cathartic. I recognise that there will still be a place for a large pack though and I’ve been looking at the Berghaus Vulcan. I did consider the PLCE Bergen (had one before, does the job but not very refined) or the replacement Virtus system (I can’t find a review of it) Jasper at Strikeforce has.
I have a question regarding the sizing of the Vulcan; is the pack built with the thought of the user wearing webbing? By size 5’7” I should take a size two. With a pussers Bergen i should take a short back but in reality a long back is far more comfortable and the load lifting straps can be a real benefit. So should I get a size 2 or 3? I don’t intend to rush out and buy one just interested in case one crosses my path.

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Not designed for wearing with belt kit. I'm 5ft 5in and had the size 2 vulcan for years. Modified by RVOps..... bomb proof, uber comfortable, designed for hard-core mountain use, where belt kit does not apply......

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think about buying the Altas.
One size is recommended until 183, the larger starts with 183.

I am 184 cm tall and I ask myself if the larger one really fits. Do they count into theyr recommendations that some people have long legs?
My legs are relatively long. So perhaps the back is more like a 183 cm tall person.

Not so easy to decide without trying both...

I thought about going several hundreds of kilometres to try both or just to buy a Savotta or Essl instead of it. Both made in Europe, the Atlas made in China, but obviously in a good build quality. It's used by the German army in special forces.

Currently I have another large rucksack, but I would like to have a green one...

:rolleyes::banghead::confused2:

(Fortunately I don't have the money in this Corona virus times..)

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Definitely don’t get the replacement Virtus system, can’t remember where I read it but poor design and troops find them to small for all their kit, most wanting the PLCE back. Sound like cheaply made scenario again.

The Vulcan; the pack size is built for a persons height definitely Without webbing. Originally made for the civilian market. Late 1980’.

Reactions: Erbswurst

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Definitely don’t get the replacement Virtus system, can’t remember where I read it but poor design and troops find them to small for all their kit, most wanting the PLCE back. Sound like cheaply made scenario again.

The Vulcan; the pack size is built for a persons height definitely Without webbing. Originally made for the civilian market. Late 1980’.

That's the thing there's nowhere I can find a reasonable review of it. They're on a Mk3 of a pretty new system, the short life of the earlier incarnations says a lot of Mk1&2.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have spoken to a fair few people who have the virtus system for work reasons, They pretty much hate the whole system except the helmet, which I have. That has been a good bit of kit for a change. They say the pack is especially bad, it does fall to pieces and gets holes it in very easily, most have gone back to the afghan daysack which is based off the Karrimor Predator 45, but is a bit more rugged. They have gone back to it for many reasons, the main being it it works and is rugged enough for use.

Reactions: SCOMAN

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Cheers Tinks. I'm looking at a Berghaus Crusader rather than a Vulcan. I want the floating lid. Not so I can add extra bulk but so I can use the lid as a haversack.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The karrimor predator 80-130 ha a free floating lid and will also take a few pouches on the belt, the cheapest I have seen it, is HERE, may be another idea for you.

I have had and got, Crusader, Vulcan, ROC and PLCE and other large (60+ litre) bergens and have been happy with them all but they have their place in various kits and for various jobs. Some canvas and some cordura or equivalent. The predator range form Karrimor are also good (they did go a bit ropey, (90's but to get they government contracts they improved quality and ruggedness)

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Cheers Tinks. I'm looking at a Berghaus Crusader rather than a Vulcan. I want the floating lid. Not so I can add extra bulk but so I can use the lid as a haversack.

The crusader is my favourite but can not find anywhere that sells them anymore think they were discontinued by berghaus. I liked the old mk1 without the bottom zip compartment.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The berghaus roc was the first Bergen I bought used for a good many hillwalks never bettered. The crusader mk1 was the Bergen for my week long trips also superb. Both long gone and irreplaceable.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
The crusader is my favourite but can not find anywhere that sells them anymore think they were discontinued by berghaus. I liked the old mk1 without the bottom zip compartment.

A quick search finds crusaders mark 3 still for sale on the Web. There is even at least three different models . I have the one without front opening but haven't uses it that much.

Berghaus also makes Spartan again but I can only find ones with front opening and those weight to much for my taste.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I just want to thank everyone for their advice. I went the cheap option and bought a new PLCE Bergen. I don't plan to do any long walks with it, it'll just be a load lifter.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Would you please give us a link to the seller? I usually just find used ones.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I got it on eBay I searched Ebay for MTP Bergen selecting unissued and new. Throw in long or short according to your want.

Reactions: Chomp and Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Aha! Thank you!

Do you know who produces them where?

I was very surprised when I understood that the German army currently uses Berghaus rucksacks which seem to be made in China.

They usually buy other stuff in Germany and Austria, but the Rucksacks in China.
I don't really understand the idea behind that.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
@MikeLA

You don't find the crusader?

Thanks tempting very

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Somehow I find even more offers if surching the internet.
Perhaps you need to write something German into, like "Berghaus Militärrucksack" , "Militärausrüstung", "Berghaus Rucksack mit Seitentaschen ".

Because the German Army currently uses the Munro and Atlas the brand is relatively popular in Germany.

But I gave you the links to the sellers I trust without any doubt.

ASMC is very long in the market and runs the homepage in German, French and English, Recon Company Salzgitter is the german main importer for Snugpak so far I understood right and obviously sells a lot to police and soldiers.

I bought all my Snugpak stuff from Recon Company Salzgitter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE