Hultafors Overstrike Guard Wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
several years 2 firewood suppliers turned up next door and did a split while u wait type thing, for the pub.... they were, as del boy trotter would put it bladdy good innt, I watched them for a while, extremely fast and efficient workers. They had a splitting axe each, amazingly just old 6 or 7pound felling axes, with collars on them. I said what are they made from? layer of dense cell foam with wet formed leather around it, fastened with 2 or 3 cable ties
I'm impressed with the way the swedish makers form the steel collars to fit exact on some of their splitting axe handles, how is it done??

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
several years 2 firewood suppliers turned up next door and did a split while u wait type thing, for the pub.... they were, as del boy trotter would put it bladdy good innt, I watched them for a while, extremely fast and efficient workers. They had a splitting axe each, amazingly just old 6 or 7pound felling axes, with collars on them. I said what are they made from? layer of dense cell foam with wet formed leather around it, fastened with 2 or 3 cable ties
I'm impressed with the way the swedish makers form the steel collars to fit exact on some of their splitting axe handles, how is it done??

Good stuff. There’s nothing more annoying than tracing a split line across a log only to over-reach and snap a haft. Any working tool like that needs a cushion and a harder coating. I can how these boys were thinking.

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Just returning to the paracord overstrike option, does anyone know of any useful video footage on how best to do this? I have an axe that would benefit from such a guard but I would like to know how to do this as neatly as possible. I've already got my PVA adhesive and some water ready - now, I just need the 'how to' bit for the actual whipping...

Thank you, in advance, for any help or guidance you can offer!

Just returning to the paracord overstrike option, does anyone know of any useful video footage on how best to do this? I have an axe that would benefit from such a guard but I would like to know how to do this as neatly as possible. I've already got my PVA adhesive and some water ready - now, I just need the 'how to' bit for the actual whipping...

Thank you, in advance, for any help or guidance you can offer!
Look for any video that shows you how to accomplish 'common whipping' as the principle is the same no matter what you wrap it around. I would also recommend a piece of inner tube at the bottom though that also aids in stopping it slipping. The pva works well but a hard knock will inevitable push the strands apart. A tight strip of inner tube seems to stop that from happening.

I'm out for a couple hours now and I have my Hultafors which is (currently) naked, hence this post, at mo but if you havent had any better suggestions by time I get home I'll throw up a pic of my other axe which does have the paracord guard on it.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The picture would be brilliant and I will certainly look up 'common whipping' to find out how to do that. My only hope is that I don't get referred to a string of S&M sites!

Here you go. Hope they help.

In the last one you can see where the paracord has clearly saved the haft from what would have been a considerable dink!

Also, if I recall I tested the idea of using pva without the water and you can see the result. Where as if you add water it does produce a clear glaze. If you can find it in the May Photo Comp you'll see the handle of one of my sticks on my entry and that has the pva/water mix appplied.

e3619b2cd9fd4199eab09ea3312384bb.jpg
c15d462078103d18f12175911a25c1e8.jpg
8c58471e10fdb410127375d9b2a7527a.jpg
2b98d1b54955f6c5bcc6cca957fcd66a.jpg
ee5eb09995277bbe59e093bbf31b0de5.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
Here are a couple of results from ebay, actually found them by mistake when I searched for "leather bushcraft sheath"
Definetly more satisfying and enjoyable to make your own.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
There’s a gent on Etsy goes by the name of petko leathers, I have Just got one of his sheaths for my kansbol and one for my 106, and il be ordering a mask and collar for my hb 006 (as soon as the wife’s forgot the last lot) hes got excellent leather and great service, tracking info with packages etc, can’t recommend him highly enough, etsy can be unreliable at times but I’ve found this chap solid, hope this is useful - all the best to all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE