Skrama

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have now got my Skrama. Impressed so far from the feel and balance of it. Not yet used it in anger.

The grip is ok but I'm thinking of giving it some textural gimping with a soldering iron as one does on hand gun grips - anyone tried this?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Funny you should say that, my 200 arrived yesterday. It feels great in the hand and now has the Varusteleka makers mark and a sharpened spine. I have some wood from a few trees and shrubs I have had to prune so it will get a quick test on them later. The shorter blade is very comfortable out the book and excellently balanced in the hand, you can comfortably move your hand in the various positions which you can with the big brother. It does the have the first 5 cm of the blade with the different grind for the finer work.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Funny you should say that, my 200 arrived yesterday. It feels great in the hand and now has the Varusteleka makers mark and a sharpened spine. I have some wood from a few trees and shrubs I have had to prune so it will get a quick test on them later. The shorter blade is very comfortable out the book and excellently balanced in the hand, you can comfortably move your hand in the various positions which you can with the big brother. It does the have the first 5 cm of the blade with the different grind for the finer work.

Pete, Is the 200 the only model you have? Just wondered if you had the 240 also.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have the 240, 200 and mini in the skrama range the pukkos I have the 110 and 140

I will post side by side photos soon of the lot of them

From what I can see the 240 and 200 have practically the same blade. Its only the handle size that offers an advantage of sorts. Do you think if you fitted a chunky lanyard to the 200 you could hold this and it give you the same amount of force generating potential as the 1 & 1/2 handle size of the 240?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Measured my knives.

Blade length.
-200 = 200mm
-240 = 230mm

Blade width.
-200 = 38mm
-240 = 45mm

Can you do a weight difference please? I know... I'm getting waaayyyyy analytical , put it down to Lockdown fever.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Can you do a weight difference please? I know... I'm getting waaayyyyy analytical , put it down to Lockdown fever.
Afraid I can´t. I have no scales and my hands are not precise enough. Logic say 200 must be lighter but how much I do not know.
Varusteleka say on their page: 200 = 370g / 240 = 520g.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Afraid I can´t. I have no scales and my hands are not precise enough. Logic say 200 must be lighter but how much I do not know.
Varusteleka say on their page: 200 = 370g / 240 = 520g.

If I could only let you have one - which would it be ?

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
My needs would be batoning fire wood. I have two saws to choose from: Bahco Laplander and Silky Big Boy. So there is no need to chop down trees. For chopping off small branches the model 200 is big enough. And for batoning max 10-15cm thick wood the model 200 is enough.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Teedee out of interest is the skrama to fulfil your needs of a matchete?

I'm thinking it may do so , I was considering a Golock for ruggedness then saw the Skrama support group waving the flag so thought I would take a punt. I will see how I get on with it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
There's no way I'd swap a skrama for a golock.
They are different tools to a degree, skrama being more knife like while the golock....well they don't call it a tree beater for nothing lol.
Little extra reach with a golock.

I'm sure quality varies but my golock is awful.
Needs a full regrind from new if you want it to cut and when doing mine the blade hardness varied so much I couldn't believe it.
From I'd guess low 50's hrc to sections hard enough that a file would skate over it.

I do like the golock shape but terribly made in my experience.
Is it svord that do a golock shaped chopper? Expensive though

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have you made any adjustments to the Skrama? If you were doing to include anything to go 'with it' on the sheath or lanyard what would you include??

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Have you made any adjustments to the Skrama? If you were doing to include anything to go 'with it' on the sheath or lanyard what would you include??

Not changed the skrama at all.
If I were going to the jungle again and taking it I'd add my usual rope belt and bycle inner tube to the sheath. Rope belt for preference, inner tube as tinder and to give you fighting chance if stitching rots on you

Other than that I guess the back is big enough for a DC4 or something if you're that way inclined

Reactions: TeeDee and Mowmow

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If I were going to the jungle again and taking it I'd add my usual rope belt and bycle inner tube to the sheath. Rope belt for preference, inner tube as tinder and to give you fighting chance if stitching rots on you

Other than that I guess the back is big enough for a DC4 or something if you're that way inclined

Inner tube is a Good shout as is Paracord Lanyard I think. I see they also sell a whetstone but I didn't get that as unsure of the quality.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Which Jungle did you got to and for how long may I ask?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE