I'm not a Pheasant Plucker…

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
WARNING ANIMAL BUTCHERY !!

Pheasant with Boulangere Potato's Cooked in Chicken Stock . Side dish of Pearl Barley with Dandelion leaves and Cannellini Beans & Carrots.

Minted Pea's in a Jelly and Blackberry Fruit also in a Kirsch enhanced Jelly.

Stuffing Fritter of Apricots , Pheasant Heart and crushed Almond.

Gravy is an Apple and Wholegrain mustard reduction with a heavy hand of Apple Jack Daniels.

( I know Pheasant is out of season , Someone brought this too me after seeing it hit by a Car )

p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpgp5.jpgp6.jpgp7.jpgp8.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Now I like a bit of pheasant; that looks delicious. My favorite recipe is pheasant curry - well it is an Asian bird! However, the big advantage of a curry is that you skin the bird instead of plucking it; my spaniel does not like me plucking pheasant in the kitchen :)

I have come to the conclusion that you are taking the pi** and you really are a chef!

Reactions: TeeDee

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I like a bit of pheasant too. We had the breasts of ours in a pot pie, and ate the legs separately. The legs seem to have a bonus selection of tendons, which are pretty difficult to get out prior to cooking, so I took a leaf out of Scott Rea’s YouTube videos. Poach the legs in chicken stock for 20-30 mins, and then you can pull the tendons out easily before any other cooking of the meat.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Now I like a bit of pheasant; that looks delicious. My favorite recipe is pheasant curry - well it is an Asian bird! However, the big advantage of a curry is that you skin the bird instead of plucking it; my spaniel does not like me plucking pheasant in the kitchen :)

I have come to the conclusion that you are taking the pi** and you really are a chef!

Pheasant Curry isn't something I've ever thought of ! interesting.

I agree plucking pheasant is a tedious activity - even with the little tricks and knacks that can make it easier it can still be painful at points.
I'd imagine the Spaniel objects somewhat to the cascade of ever downy feathers littering the area. :)

Nope. Still not a chef. :0

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like a bit of pheasant too. We had the breasts of ours in a pot pie, and ate the legs separately. The legs seem to have a bonus selection of tendons, which are pretty difficult to get out prior to cooking, so I took a leaf out of Scott Rea’s YouTube videos. Poach the legs in chicken stock for 20-30 mins, and then you can pull the tendons out easily before any other cooking of the meat.

Good Tip

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you're not a chef you're being a little cruel to us majority who can't cook as well or nice as you. Looking at those photographs make me JEALOUS of your skills. It looks so well cooked and the variety of foodstuffs and techniques involved. Well you've combined a good mixture of foods there.

I really wished I could eat my screen when I saw that photograph.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you're not a chef you're being a little cruel to us majority who can't cook as well or nice as you. Looking at those photographs make me JEALOUS of your skills. It looks so well cooked and the variety of foodstuffs and techniques involved. Well you've combined a good mixture of foods there.

I really wished I could eat my screen when I saw that photograph.

Hi. I know mostly that's a compliment. Even slightly tongue in cheek "If you're not a chef you're being a little cruel to us majority who can't cook as well or nice as you." - I kinda feel bad about that.. To explain all that I'm trying to do is showcase how we can take stuff from NATURE and incorporate it with a bit of tweaking into something more that Nettle Soup in a mess can.... It can be made into decent looking food.

I guess maybe I'm a little bit sensitive that some may think this is Showboating to some extent - I would prefer to think its not - all these posts I've taken from the UK WILD LARDER FACEBOOK page and I just cross post them.

As for cooking skills - debatable if i have any , its all relative I think like most skills - Mr Ramsay would Berate me. The only thing I do know is Cooking Skills like any other skills get better with the more practice and passion you commit to it. I had to learn to cook from a young age so maybe I have a headstart but its just a series of techniques you add to each time you cook. Get a bit better and rinse and repeat.

I hope I make myself clear(er) :)

PS - I'm pretty sure I could talk you through cooking the above dish over the phone - its honestly not difficult.

Reactions: Dogoak

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I didn't mean offence it just made me incredibly hungry it looked so nice.

It's a good example of including foraged foods into your diet. It might be easy to cook but it's the ideas you've put together that isn't easy for everyone. It's the talent of chefs to put foodstuffs together especially foodstuffs not normally put together. Techniques can be learnt, taste pallettes and creativity with food is not easy to learn I reckon.

My post was 100% meant to be a compliment, it's just my written mannerisms that doesn't always make my meanings clear.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I didn't mean offence it just made me incredibly hungry it looked so nice.

It's a good example of including foraged foods into your diet. It might be easy to cook but it's the ideas you've put together that isn't easy for everyone. It's the talent of chefs to put foodstuffs together especially foodstuffs not normally put together. Techniques can be learnt, taste pallettes and creativity with food is not easy to learn I reckon.

My post was 100% meant to be a compliment, it's just my written mannerisms that doesn't always make my meanings clear.

No Harm , No Foul , I just wanted to address it.

As for putting flavours together - ok , I know get what you are saying , and to be honest I don't always get it right. I just have a bit of a thinky and go for it and sometimes it works , and sometimes it doesn't - but at the end of the day it IS only Food. We get a chance each day to have another go if we wish.

I know I get some giggles ( not here )when I dumped a tin of Rice Pudding into my Nettle Soup dish but it totally worked ! and the thinking behind it was fairly sound.

The Carrot & Sweet Pepper on the Surf & Turf dish i thought was going to work and in the end it just didn't hit the spot. So Now I know that flavouring combo isn't a winner.

I do appreciate the compliment and I know I keep on reiteratting that I'm NOT a Chef for good reason - that is because we don't need to be a Chef to Cook something new and exciting , we just need to be brave enough and give it a go !! :) Take care.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't mean to contradict you because casual sexism is everywhere but in this case with the anonymity provided by ambiguous user names it's quite possible to call someone in here a chef without knowing, for sure, that they're male or female. You can't be sexist if you don't know the sex of the person you're complimenting.

BTW I assume Teedee is male, if I think about it, because this site seems to be populated by a higher proportion of men; but the screen name makes me think of the name Deedee which has Irish Gaelic, Welsh and Latin origins.

Also, it seems the chef occupation is in the majority taken up by men. However dinner ladies is sexist but describes the gender of the majority of people cooking and serving dinners at schools. And don't get me talking about the gender gap between men and women in primary schools and early years education. Of course primary school head teachers are disproportionately male. Skip to Norway and early years education has a significant proportion who are name male such that it's considered normal. UK it's okay single figure percentages.

I of course am now rambling completely off topic. Sorry!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
And don't get me talking about the gender gap between men and women in primary schools and early years education. Of course primary school head teachers are disproportionately male. Skip to Norway and early years education has a significant proportion who are name male such that it's considered normal. UK it's okay single figure percentages.

I of course am now rambling completely off topic. Sorry!

Could you just elaborate on the Gender Gap aspect please?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Open question: - Why do people think there seems to be more successful famous Male Chefs than Female if its mostly believed Women do most of the cooking in our society?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's not necessarily successful chefs it's the unsuccessful ones too.

It's probably the truth that in the majority of families women do the majority of caring for children and part of that is providing food. Society isn't progressing towards equality in the UK fast enough. Partly cultural. We need to be more Scandinavian perhaps??!!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It's not necessarily successful chefs it's the unsuccessful ones too.

It's probably the truth that in the majority of families women do the majority of caring for children and part of that is providing food. Society isn't progressing towards equality in the UK fast enough. Partly cultural. We need to be more Scandinavian perhaps??!!

But is it not true from the evidence I've seen Dr Jordan Petersen present that even when Equal Opportunities are present ( in Scandinavian ) culture , Equal Outcomes are NOT the eventual outcome. (?) People , sexes , make different choices about Life decisions and balance.

Even when encouragement is there for support of interest in STEM fields amongst Scandinavian teenagers the choices made are not equal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE