Rustic Stool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Today I finished making this rustic stool.

Rustic stool by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Rustic stool 2 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The legs are ash - these I turned on the pole lathe some time ago, when I had some straight grained logs, with a view to making a stool one day. I was hoping to get a larger hardwood log, that I could split a suitable sized slab from, to make the stool top. But I never seemed to find that log, so instead I made a softwood top, by gluing up some 38x63mm CLS timber.
I used my bandsaw to rough out the 10 inch circular shape, but all the finishing was done with hand tools. Because the legs were already turned, and I envisaged a thinner hardwood top, the round tenons were not long enough to come through the stool top to be wedged. So I drilled blind holes, and fox wedged the legs into them. It's had a couple of coats of Danish oil, and will probably take a couple more.

Not exactly fine furniture, but good enough to raise my bum a little off the floor when sitting outside and whittling.
Thanks for looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE