Entry Level Machetes - Other Makes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm Needing a Machete for bush clearance.
I don't really want to be spending serious money so I was looking at the entry level price range.

This sort of thing :- https://www.heinnie.com/tramontina-machete-28652

Now I've had a few Tramontina's in the past and although they are good for the money I find the steel just a little too thin.

So any recommendations for similar priced ( or a bit more ) machetes that are a bit more bush clearance with a little more heft to the metal.
I have no intention of spending £100 - If I can't find another suggestion I will probably settle for a Golok.

( Yes - I already have a Billhook , and yes they ARE great, but I'm looking for a Machete )

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Martindale golok?
Skrama? Its not really a machete but its 4mm thick high carbon steel, tough as nails.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To be honest, the thinness is part of a machete’s basic point. If you need something sturdier are you sure a machete is the tool you really want? That said, most of the military surplus ones here are a bit thicker.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
To be honest, the thinness is part of a machete’s basic point. If you need something sturdier are you sure a machete is the tool you really want? That said, most of the military surplus ones here are a bit thicker.

I do understand that , and as you've pointed out yes the Military style ones do tend to be a little thicker and chunkier.
The Tram Machetes are perfect for swinging through a TRUE jungle all day and night for clearing trail as they are lightweight enough to allow that and the foliage is ( tends to be ) also of a light structure.

Just need something with a little more Heft for this environment and Yes , I'm completely sure its the tool I want - Thanks.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got a Martindale, and it's been sound. The handle was a brute though, thankfully a friend re-shaped it for me.

I also have a parana (sp ?) that's too damned heavy for me to use for long. Again, the handle was crude thing and not fit to be used all day.

Nettles, brambles, bracken, rushes and long grass, they're pretty useful. Neither was expensive.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
..and is a damned awkward thing to pack in a rucksack
There is that but think about the advantages, dress in black and paint the scythe black too, very few people want to come close. Automatic distancing. :D

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
While a machete has more style, a scythe with a short sturdy blade is somewhat more practical and keeps you away from the prickly parts. ;)

Makes you wonder why you don't see more scythe ( or sickle ) use in the South Americas then. :)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Makes you wonder why you don't see more scythe ( or sickle ) use in the South Americas then. :)

A machete is a great tool if you are cutting sugar cane etc. (machetes in some parts of the Caribbean are called Gilpins after the brand exported there, I guess that the original users didn’t get much choice in the tools they used) but as others have said, if you want to save your back and knuckles from thorns a long handled slasher is a far better tool for bramble and gorse bashing in the UK but obviously won’t fit in a rucksack but is easier to justify as a tool rather than looking like a weapon.

Good choice of styles here.

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/slashers.htm

Reactions: Laurentius

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At home I mostly use a sickle. I often take it with me when out and about too, but it's small, neat, just the job for howking down branches, or pulling out brambles for basketry, but it's not a slashing too, it doesn't do quite so well at the bracken, long grass, etc.,
I do have a heuk (small scythe type hand tool) but it really does not pack well, it doesn't carry well, and it really is best kept for the garden and outside fence line.

The machete is light, neat and awfully useful....well, once you true up and reshape the handle to remove hot spots and the like.... and it packs very tidily in a bag or rucksack.

Each to their own.

Reactions: Nomad64

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don’t get me wrong, I love machetes. If you’re sure it’s what you want/need I’ll stick with my earlier comment about a military surplus one. I think that’ll beat tick your two requirements of thicker and inexpensive.

Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Martindale one is the British Army one.

Reactions: santaman2000

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Each to their own.

Exactly. It often amuses me when someone asks for a recommendation and gets loads of replies saying "you don't want to use that..."

I use a scythe, machete, slasher, secateurs, shears, billhook, chainsaw, mower etc depending on what I'm cutting. A scythe isn't much use if I'm cutting brambles at head height for example.

As for a machete, after buying a rubbish 'army surplus' one that slpit in half I bought a 14" Tramontina and often use it to cut back brambles or to trim twigs of branches etc. For £8 it has served me well.

Reactions: TeeDee and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE