Trip Report March Wild camp: Bread making and fire lighting practice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all,

Thought I'd share a link to a video that I made during last weekends woodland wild camp. I packed in my little 1litre dutchy and baked a nice loaf of bread. I also had a bit of fun practicing feathersticks and enjoyed some success.

This was also my first camp out in a new Dutch army hooped bivi and I think it's my new favourite bivi bag!! Great bit of kit.
As always, let me know what you think of the video, I've still much to learn

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, you can be my legs. The bread is serious bushcraft. We're told to stay in and call for groceries.
A bit early, too, with 1-4' snow on the ground!

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks, you can be my legs. The bread is serious bushcraft. We're told to stay in and call for groceries.
A bit early, too, with 1-4' snow on the ground!
Thanks glad you enjoyed it and I hope your doing ok across the pond. The madness of coronavirus has really kicked in over here this week and the government have really stepped up their response. We're not on lockdown by any means but everyone is taking responsibility to self isolate. Hopefully we don't need to do this for too long and we can re-commence our lives!
Take care

• Wow
Reactions: Robson Valley

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Hi all,

Thought I'd share a link to a video that I made during last weekends woodland wild camp. I packed in my little 1litre dutchy and baked a nice loaf of bread. I also had a bit of fun practicing feathersticks and enjoyed some success.

This was also my first camp out in a new Dutch army hooped bivi and I think it's my new favourite bivi bag!! Great bit of kit.
As always, let me know what you think of the video, I've still much to learn

Just seen this, nice video.

What’s your thoughts on the hooped bivi? I have been thinking of getting in but am a bit put off by stories of poor zips etc.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Just seen this, nice video.

What’s your thoughts on the hooped bivi? I have been thinking of getting in but am a bit put off by stories of poor zips etc.
Hi thanks for watching and sorry for the slow response, I've not been on this forum for a little while.

I'm really enjoying the bivvy. But, due to the lockdown I've only been able to use it a couple of times. However, it's becoming a firm favourite for a multitude of reasons.

The good points:
It seems to breath really well, I love how much space there is inside the bivvy and have found that I can comfortably store much of my kit in their with me - the head end really is quite spacious and you can easily store your bergan up above your head. The mosi net came in really handy on my last trip (check out my latest vid on youtube!). And I've also found that it has plenty of space inside for me and my thick exped sleeping mat.

The downsides:
It is definitely not the lightest or most compact bivvy on the market (it weighs approx. 1.6kg and packs down a little smaller than a loaf of bread). Personally, I feel as though that's a compromise worth making in return for having the durable and breathable Gore-Tex fabric. Coupled with a small tarp/poncho it still makes for a light and versatile shelter system and I have plans to use this set-up on some long distance hikes.

The only other point to note is indeed the zips, they're not ykk on the Spanish FECSA models and these appear to be the most popular versions that appear on the market. When I was getting this bivvy, I shared your concerns about the zips and was very aware of their relative fragility. Happily, I was able to get my hands on a brand new bivvy. and that option is really what swung it for me as I can be assured that it's never been subject to any abuse! Although it is the FECSA version, I've found it to be absolutely fine. Key points to note are that you should avoid pegging out the bivvy so that it's too taught as that obviously puts a lot of strain on the zips. I also tend not to use the zip at the head end and seal myself in (unless I need to use the bug net) as I'm usually under the cover of a tarp.

Finally, I've seen that some folk have been able to repair/modify their bivvies by installing a new ykk zipper. If my zipper ever fails then I shall be taking my bivvy to my nearest seamstress and seeing if they can make the alteration.

You can still source the better Carinthia version, they pop up from time to time on Ebay. There's a German military surplus store that seems to sell them occasionally but I can't quite remember what they were called.

All in all, I'm delighted with it and am of the opinion that it was probably the better option when compared to the Snugpak Stratosphere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE