Zippo help please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
My zippo seems to leak fuel, and I just can't figure out why.

It means I need to fully refill the whole thing with very light use after only about a week.

Does anyone know how I can prevent this or fix it?

Cheers,
Will

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
During warm weather a week is about all you'll get even if it's not used at all . You could put a seal around it ( piece if innertube eic ) that should prolong it's life slightly .
Cheers , Trev .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi ,
During warm weather a week is about all you'll get even if it's not used at all . You could put a seal around it ( piece if innertube eic ) that should prolong it's life slightly .
Cheers , Trev .

How do you do that Trev ? I tried it once and it made using the lighter a nightmare. Maybe the innner tube I used was too tight but it took about 10 mins to get the thing rolled back, light the cig and then rolled down again.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
I can only think the inner tube you used was too tight , also I used to open the zippo then roll it down . TBH I haven't used one outdoors for years ( ever since losing one that was a gift ) . I just carry a clipper type and one of those dealextreme mini blowtorch things .
Cheers , Trev .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could be right Trev, maybe I've hacked up a racing inner tube instead of a MTB. I'll give it another go sometime as I do like my zippos.

jimfbte

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2005
Hawaii, US
stuckinthewoods.info
You can always cheat and replace the innards with a Zippo butane insert (look up in google). They have both flint and piezo versions for about 10GBP in amazon and other shops.

Jim FBtE

=========
My zippo seems to leak fuel, and I just can't figure out why.

It means I need to fully refill the whole thing with very light use after only about a week.

Does anyone know how I can prevent this or fix it?

Cheers,
Will

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Its a Zippo. therefor it doesn't hold fuel. A week is pretty good for a zippo IME. I also have a peanut lighter that I didnt fill for over a year, It lit 1st time.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I do the rubber tyre seal too which works very well, a friend that first showed me also mentioned the rubber stops it slipping out of a pocket so easily which is good!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
You can always cheat and replace the innards with a Zippo butane insert (look up in google). They have both flint and piezo versions for about 10GBP in amazon and other shops.

Jim FBtE

=========

That's pretty cool, I just bought one of ebay - figured it'll give me an excuse to carry both my zippos at the same time :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE