Zippo handwarmer reg/small - Use in sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 16, 2016
I'm thinking of getting a Zippo handwarmer as I've read lots of good things about them.

Two questions:
1) I mainly hike and wild camp so space\weight is normally a consideration. What is the performance of the small unit like compared to the regular sized one, which 'you' recommend and why?

2) Has anyone used one in their sleeping bag as an impromptu bag warmer on a cold night and if so did it make much difference?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a hotwaterbottle - a stainless steel drinking water bottle filled with hot water and wrapped in a sock. The weight of the bottle is paid for by its multi uses....
I would not use a handwarmer in my bed although they are good for handwarming...

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I use a hotwaterbottle - a stainless steel drinking water bottle filled with hot water and wrapped in a sock. The weight of the bottle is paid for by its multi uses....
I would not use a handwarmer in my bed although they are good for handwarming...

I've used a hot water bottle like this and it works quite well. Not sure the hand warmer would be of any use. Had one years ago for golf but wouldn't have thought it much cop for a sleeping bag.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I've used one in the bag a few times. It certainly contributes to a cozy "feeling", but I'm not sure if it actually contributes significant heat. I suspect that compared to the thermal output of your body it's negligible.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland

Second that. Got a dented little 1lt Klean kanteen with a metal lid. Fill it with water and just sit it at the edge of the fire before bed (lid off ofc). Pop in a sock and makes a great difference on a cold night. Although with a good bag and sleep wear it's rarely NEEDED. Heat is nice tho!

The zippo hand warmers are good but I wouldn't use them like that. And as you said, you only wild camp / take what you need I presume. One more thing to carry.

Jan 16, 2016
I've been using the Sigg bottle and sock method for a while and generally speaking also like to take a thermos with me at night especially when its cold.

Though it's good, when hiking and wild camping for days on end heating water goes through my gas and it's normally in the morning when I'm cold rather than when I first hit the hay.

Just thought this might be an alternative.

Based on what I read about them here I guess it wouldn't be much use in a doss bag.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
2) Has anyone used one in their sleeping bag as an impromptu bag warmer on a cold night and if so did it make much difference?

Can you spot where the warm torso lay?

Mine's a no name job.

Lighter fluid (petrol) encourages you to not tuck your head into your sleeping bag ~ because it stinks to high heaven! :rofl: . The fumes have great potential for causing you great harm!

I'd have been warm enough in my bag anyway, but I was properly toasty warm ;)

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I have a similar handwarmer from optimus that I use occasionaly for this purpose.
It can't make up for a worthless sleeping bag, but there are nights when I've miscalculated the circumstances just a tiny bit and wake up shivering in the small hours. At those times it's less of a hassle to light up a handwarmer than most other options.
Some level of safety measures should be taken before going to sleep. Not a good idea to start playing with fire unprepared while half asleep.
I second the remark about smell too, although it varies between different fuels.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE