Zippo Hand Warmer.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone got a Zippo Hand Warmer ;-

http://www.heinnie.com/t4zbag103950...s/Zippo/Zippo-Hand-Warmer/p-484-621-714-4633/

Does it work as advertised?

"The Zippo Hand Warmer is a perfect accessory to combat the chill, no matter what your outdoor activity.

It uses premium lighter fluid to produce more than ten times the heat as traditional models and lasts for up to 24 hours. Plus, it comes with a one-year guarantee.

Sleek, compact design fits easily into pockets, gloves or pants without the bulk of other warmers.
No Flame. The platinum-catalyzed glass fiber burner offers quick and sure lighting. Produces a radiant heat without the flame.
Extra Warmth. Produces more than 10 times as much heat as most disposable warmers.
Economical. Constant warmth for up to 24 hours with just 0.4 oz of fuel.
Environmentally friendly. Reusable (except for the burner) and virtually pollution free. Low odor makes it ideal for hunters!
Convenient size. Thin profile makes the Hand Warmer easy to use and carry. "

Cheers.

gerryg

Jul 10, 2009
Ontario
I have two. One is great, the other not so much. For some reason one of them is hard to light especially with a butane lighter struggling in the cold. I ended up buying a box of 40 chemical hand warmers at costco as back up until i figure it out. I ordered a zippo lighter and i'm hoping it works better this year for lighting the handwarmer. But the one that works I love and wouldn't give up easily in spite of the other one that's flaky. YMMV

One point of note is that they fly off the shelves at my local MEC and are always on backorder.

gerry

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
OK Lads , thanks for the feedback, sounds like its a good bit of kit.

Next question, where the Cheapest place for a Brit to pick one up.?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have a Jon-e handwarmer from the US - this is also a catalysed liquid fuel system. They are very good at staying warm for over 6-7 hours.

They work on liquid lighter fuel - you pour it into the top and onto a kind of 'rock wool' in the body of the lighter. Then, you put the small metal cap on which has a catalyst gauze. You light the gauze and it heats with a small flame for about a minute. Then, you blow the flame out, put the larger metal cap on and put in in the cloth pouch. The heat can be increased by letting more air into the pouch.

I would warn you though, that you will smell of lighter fuel! This is, however, a small price to pay for a highly novel and efficient system.

Do not use meths - recipe for disaster! You must use a naptha-based liquid lighter, like Zippo fuel - this is because the catalyst is specific to these types of fuel.

*** Just checked the Zippo site and - funnily enough - they're sold out. Try looking for 'Jon-e' too as these are pretty much the same. ***

Last edited:

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I got a peacock one on e-bay for about eight quid. It's hard to tell if they are lit or not, but once they are lit up they get really cosy and last for hours, however I'm one of these people who is super sensitive to fumes and dust and mines did give off a very faint odor that irritated by chest, no one else that had a shot was bothered though, so I'd say they are a totally kosher bit of kit.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The zippo ones have a little heat sensor on the side of the lid that you hold against the catalyst part to see if it's lit correctly.

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
Best be patient. Tried to buy one for a friend before Christmas. Ended up with a peacock but didn't feel as nice as my zippo. Heinnie Hayes (£19.95 inc p&p) but excellent service and may indicate when they expect delivery.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have a peacock and a Zippo. The peacock runs hotter than the Zippo but both are excellent.

I also use meths in mine as fuel as it smells nicer! It does work well in them, as does panel wipe/Coleman white gas.

just don't buy those cheap Chinese copies of the Peacocks on the bay, complete with the same design in holes as the originals. When they work they are fine but they don't work for long!

I know about the cheap Chinese ones as I have one that I can't get to light any more. Anyone want it for the cost of postage? You might get it to work!

Gareth

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
When and why are they supposed to be used? I don't get the idea behind a hand warmer. If you're on the move your body heat plus gloves does the trick. If you're static, gloves and pockets should also be sufficient. And if you're planning on staying somewhere for a longer period then obviously you'll have a nice fire and a cup of tea to warm you up.

I bet I'm just being stupid, but I really don't get when and how are they supposed to be used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE