Zippo hand warmer 12 hour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Hi
I have just purchased as above and have tried to get it started
I purchased some lighter fuel and have filled the hand warmer with the correct amount
I have noticed that some on youtube seem to have the burner filled to the top with material[catalist]?
Others seem to have a very thin layer, so has mine aprox 1-2 mm thick
is this the problem?
I have seen a set of three small pads of material for replacement on Ebay
Has any one tried them ,only a few pounds not £5-£7 for a replacement burner
Thanks
Mick

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Make sure both the catalyst and cotton wadding TOUCH when pressed together. Use a tooth pick or needle to tease the cotton up if it's to low.

They work by the platinum within the the catalyst reacting with the fuel vapour. I use the same one you have.

Basically if you have lit the catalyst on fire and burned the platinum away the thing won't work. At all.

Second. The fuel has to begin to vaporise for it to work. Hold a lighter under the fuel section for 5sec or so each side. Get the fuel warm. Once u feel it warm to touch, out a flame to the catalyst. It won't and shouldn't ignite. After 5-10 sec it should glow amber when you blow on it.

They will go out if a) fuel stops vaporising (gets to cold)b) lack of oxygen (in pocket with no ventilation) or c) fuel runs out :D

They are great once you get used to them.

My last night shift they both burned away for 13 hours

Jan 9, 2017
London
Love this thing. When I was in Poland in winter it saved my bottom. It was -20C!! Very useful just dont like the smell of petrol

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I use "the heat company" gloves with a 6hr zippo hand warmer in each heat pouch instead
Of the chemical single use sachets.

Best cold weather gloves ever. And have mini central heating. And run on white gas which my stove uses too. (I run them on panel wipe).

Expensive setup but works great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE