Zippo emergency fire starter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

Just read about these on BCUSA not sure if they are available in the UK yet but they look like a good idea.

16a3b9ae07d0a63def3e4202e2f6a8e8.image.550x550.jpg

Zippos quality is usually pretty good, could be an alternative to the Spark-Lite type fire starters.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Guys at zippo have noticed this ever growing survival & bushcraft scene it seems.
Ill be interested to get one on my hands to play with it.
rayon fibre,aint it the same as many tampons are made from?

pwb

Guys at zippo have noticed this ever growing survival & bushcraft scene it seems.
Ill be interested to get one on my hands to play with it.
rayon fibre,aint it the same as many tampons are made from?

Not sure about the fibre. Imagine it'll be something like the spark-lite tinder quick tabs.

I'm wondering if the case is brass like their lighters or more likely plastic.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
or you could just use a normal Zippo lighter :dunno:

in the back of my zippo i have enough flints to last me years, the wadding is soaked in lighter fluid and can be picked out as a fire lighter
The wick is very long lasting.
it can be refilled with alcohol/petrol etc.

I don't see the need for a new product which does pretty much the same thing. but half the fuel store is made of single use wax sticks.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester

in the back of my zippo i have enough flints to last me years, the wadding is soaked in lighter fluid and can be picked out as a fire lighter

I don't see the need for a new product which does pretty much the same thing. but half the fuel store is made of single use wax sticks.

Im with you on this mate. Looks like they have just rearanged the normal lighter contents and rebranded. There is nothing there that you could not make up youself from bits and bobs, but why bother of youve got a lighter and a backup "light my fire"

pwb

I suppose it's designed more for use as an emergency item and not regular use, kind of carry and forget along the lines of the Spark-lite kit and of about the same size I think.

The problem I find with Zippo lighters is that they do dry out rather too quickly to be reliable, did think about gas inserts etc as well.

Perhaps they should consider adding an O-ring to the lighter design too, might help reduce the fuel evaporation :).

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
would the ever lasting match @ £5.49 on the bay not be a good buy and cost a lot less than zippo?

They're a great piece of kit. I've worn Two out (I knew the the first one was on its last legs when it nearly set fire to a customer's tie while I was showing it off a couple of years ago -- the bit of magnesium wire came unglued and landed in his lap:)). I'm literally just ordering a few more from here:

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19144

which is cheaper than on eBay.

But this is what makes me ask the question. The fuel in these things lasts a lot longer than in the Zippo. I've tried wrapping it with hose and tape and it doesn't seem to help much. Eventually I just decided to carry a little container of fuel around, but I'd rather not have to.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Zippo used to do a plastic capsule of fluid, you just cut the tip off and refill. They were great for survival kits, I still have a few and they never evaporate as they are sealed. I have had one burst in a pocket, not very nice and taught me to carry them inside a hard case!
Does anyone know if you can still get these?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE