Zip Repair Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 7, 2017
York
Hi everyone.

I'm wanting to use my old Vango Ultralite 1100m sleeping bag for wild camping. The zipper has broken. I've been thinking of using the fixnzip repair system but at £12 for 1 it seems pricey. Can anyone recommend any other products before I go for this option?

Thanks

Henry

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Could you just replace the entire zip with a new one ? I ask because cheapo cheap sleeping bags cost six quid….and you end up with an underblanket and a new zip if you're up for all the unpicking :)

M
p.s. I tell a lie, they're £6.99 in Argos at the moment.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've thought about using a normal zip puller, just pulling it apart slightly with some pliers and the closing is slowly and gently again with a pair of pliers over the zip teeth?

middlewolf

Feb 12, 2017
Portland, OR
Before replacing the zipper, is it because it opens up while still zipped? If it is, go to YouTube and view the videos on repairing it by simply squeezing the slider slightly to narrow the openings where the teeth slide through. Youi'll get the picture. It works for me in most of the one's I;ve had do it.

middlewolf

Feb 12, 2017
Portland, OR
If it is a case that the zipper open up after being zipped closed, look on The Tube for zipper repair videos. It shows how to carefully squeeze the openings in the slider to stop this. Has worked for me every time if the zipper just opening where closed is the issue. Only good for metal sliders.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE