Zip-lock Food Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
HI can anyone point me in the right direction for zip lock bags to carry rice flower exec cant seem to fined them around here.

Cheers

MAL

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
If you can't find them locally, there are a range of sealable bags available online here.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I use Tesco's own brand which come in a variety of sizes. They're actually re-sealable bags (the ones you have to 'pinch' shut) not zip-closing but I find them better. They close with an inter-locking seal which is airtight whereas zip-closing bags, in my experience, aren't airtight and tend to leak a bit. Zip-locks are less likely to burst though and are easier to seal, especially with cold hands.

You can get A4 size zip-closing wallets designed for paperwork from stationers and office suppliers. They're very hard wearing but I don't know if they'd be suitable for food. :confused:

I have found that zip lock bags give up the ghost after a while. It is impossible to keep the zip lock bit flat in a rucksack and eventually the things just open. I would recomend getting your flower / rice whatever and pouring it into a thin plastic bag which you can tie up securely enough. To be extra safe you could then put this into a zip lock.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A different, more sturdy option that's still lightweight is to use plastic bottles (the sort you buy water or soft drinks in). Cut the top off one to use as a funnel. They're remarkably rucksack-proof. :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
gregorach said:
A different, more sturdy option that's still lightweight is to use plastic bottles (the sort you buy water or soft drinks in). Cut the top off one to use as a funnel. They're remarkably rucksack-proof. :)

Good idea... easy to measure things out too I would expect...

The only downside is the look of them, I think that some of the zip lock bag ideas are to put that in a little leather pouch so look and feel nice.

Has anyone thought or tried anything in wood of bark at all? (or is this something for another thread - I don't want to hijack).

Cheers,

Joe

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Given the choice between nice-looking kit or flour / rice all over the inside of your pack, I know which I'd choose... ;)

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Just watched an episode of bushcraft and I saw ray was using some sort of bag in side a leather pouch, that would do nicely so any ideas on were to get the leather pouches im sure iv seen a thread on here before but cant fined it.

MAL

Prickly Pear

Mar 28, 2006
Canterbury, Kent
depends what your budget is like ;) . For nice looking reindeer leather bags, try:

DICK

Misc Items > Reindeer Leather

Small and Large pouches availiable. P&P to UK looks to only be 9 Euros. I've not used this place though.

Reactions: -Switch-

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Prickly Pear said:
depends what your budget is like ;) . For nice looking reindeer leather bags, try:

DICK

Misc Items > Reindeer Leather

Small and Large pouches availiable. P&P to UK looks to only be 9 Euros. I've not used this place though.

Now they're nice looking little bags... I may order a few bits from them at the end of the month and have a look...

Good find!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE