Zen and the art of hammocking.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Following on from some of the info I posted in the “Delamere Forest Camp ” thread, I have had a few random thoughts about sleeping in a hammock.

I’ve done a bit of this now over the years and there are a few bits I have had to work out to get really comfortable.

Firstly there is the issue of insulation under the hammock which, as I explained in the above thread, I think the Underblanket is by far my current favourite solution.

The other big bugbear, which I am still working on, is gravity…

In a nutshell, the problem is this. A hammock hangs so that it is lower in the middle than at the ends. This means, almost inevitably, that your centre of gravity is going to end up at the bottom of this curve.

In my case that means my feet often end up higher than my head, which tends to lead to a bit of a headache when I wake up.

At least I think that is the cause. :1244:

The problem has always been how to prevent a slippery surfaced sleeping bag sliding down a slippery hammock?

So far I have tried tying one end of the hammock a bit higher, attaching a sleeping mat to the hammock sling and placing a woollen blanket between the hammock and the bag. All so far to no positive effect.

It has been suggested that I should sling the hammock more loosely and sleep diagonally, which, for some reason, I just can’t get on with.

My current solution is the use of a pillow sufficiently deep that it raises my head at least level with my feet, which does work fairly well. I tend to use a stuff sack full of clothes, which fits the bill.

A trick which I intend to experiment with on my next trip is a roll of “non slip matting” which is a slightly tacky web of rubber that is quite light. I found it recently in a caravan accessory shop. I am wondering if this placed underneath the bag will reduce the slide factor and thus keep my head a little higher.

I'll let you know if it works.

I suppose I was wondering If anyone else has little tricks for getting comfortable in a hammock that might be worth sharing.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Wayland said:
A trick which I intend to experiment with on my next trip is a roll of “non slip matting” which is a slightly tacky web of rubber that is quite light.

I know exactly the stuff you mean, I have a small roll at home - what an awesome idea.

I find the same problem with a hammock - the DD hammock I use currently is too short to sleep in diagonally.

I have tried slinging it with the head higher than the feet as well, but found that I just end up sliding down the hammock and effectively resting weight on my feet - it also forces my (quite sizeable) feet into the 'thin end' of the hammock. This is the biggest problem I find.

Your idea is a goodun, but I'm also wondering if using something to spread the hammock at the foot end might be the answer...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Even though i have a cheap string-vest of a hammock, and am investing (no pun intended) in one of MagiK's latest group buys, I still consider myself a ground-dweller for many of the reasons you state wayland. But I intend to persist.

My point is this, are we using hammoks because it's the latest trend, wereas they are not necessarily the best solution???

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I know what you mean Wayland,
Had much the same experience first time out. Second time I put a roll of foam under the sleeping bag which sorted out the slippage - though at an inch thick by 2 feet by six, is hardly easy to transport! I have yet to try with the normal camping type foam mats, the kids have had them most times, but I've read that they can get sweaty. Barring the underblanket solution (of keeping warm as opposed to slipping) I had thought of combining the Garlington Insulator idea with the non-slip webbing to overcome both cold and slip. Though it will depend on whether the insulator mat has sufficient "grip" on the hammock material.

ABT

Ogri the trog

PS, Keep at it Stovie :headbang:

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Good question Stovie.

I didn't start sleeping in a hammock until about 3 years ago (possibly less).

Until than, and when forced to due to camp site, I have always slept in either a tent, a bivvy bag or under a tarp.

I know I have said before but I do sleep better in a hammock, simple as that really. I never wake with aches and pains caused by rolling off my mat and having roots or stones digging in me. I don't have to worry about finding a flat place to pitch or worry if the heavy rain is going to wash me away. Lastly it's great waking up and perring out of my bag and being in the woods. A hammock lets me feel closer to the environment, a tent is more like a shell that sheilds you from nature.

Down side is that there is little privicy, no where to hid when have a proper wash or changing - not that I'm shy I just don't want to scare the natives :D

So horses for courses. Ground dwelling has it's uses as does a hammock.

I'll never be without a tent and it's nice to have the option.

david

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
British Red said:
OT

Counting in weeks now stovie? Well done mate!

Red

Thanks Red and Ogri....Hanging in there :)

David, you are right about horses for courses. I have not slept in a tent for some time but tend to use tarp and bivvy. Though lately i am becoming more inclined to investing in a thrmarest as I'm not as immune to roots and stones as I once was :( . But who knows, if I get the hang of this hammock thing...

That said, I do like my tipi....hopefully get it finished tomorrow....

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
dommyracer said:
I have tried slinging it with the head higher than the feet as well, but found that I just end up sliding down the hammock and effectively resting weight on my feet - it also forces my (quite sizeable) feet into the 'thin end' of the hammock. This is the biggest problem I find.

Wrong way round - you want the foot end a little higher than the head end, as your center of gravity is closer to your head than your feet.

You will end up with your center of gravity at the lowest point of the hammock - there's no point trying to fight it. Gravity will always win.

For proper comfort, there's really no alternative to getting on the diagonal. It doesn't need to be very diagonal, but you do need to be across the centre line.

stovie said:
My point is this, are we using hammoks because it's the latest trend, wereas they are not necessarily the best solution???

There's that "best" word again... While I'm never going to do anything silly like get rid of my tent, I really can't see it getting used very much in future. I've been a big fan of hammocks for years - it just never occurred to me to use 'em for camping before. I must've spent literally months in a hammock when I was in Australia... Once you get the hang of it, they're great!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
For proper comfort, there's really no alternative to getting on the diagonal. It doesn't need to be very diagonal, but you do need to be across the centre line.

Aye, I've figured this much. Which is why I can't wait to get my group buy hammocks so I have more room to do it.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I can manage in a DD - although I'm also waiting for a MagiKelly hammock for that extra space. ;) I'm just shy of 6', so I imagine it would be tricky if you're any taller than that. Although if you curl up a bit on your side it might work...

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
As said previously Diagonal is by far the most comfortable for me.

I find hammocks to be more comfy than normal beds as in I hardly fidget in a hammock but I do in my bed at home.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Ah yes .... but do you fidget less in a hammock than your bed because you are consiously aware that there is more liklihood of rolling out of your hammock if you make any sudden moves :lmao:

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I manage in a DD. I keep the hammock pretty taught with as little droop as possible. I actually sleep on my side so my hips seem to fit into the droop. Turning over can be a bit of a mission though :D

I also use a thermarest which reduces slippage (doesn't irradicate it completly) and helps insulation (also great for ground dwelling).

Pablo

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
gregorach said:
You will end up with your center of gravity at the lowest point of the hammock - there's no point trying to fight it. Gravity will always win.
So....

move your centre of gravity and problem solved. - put something heavy at your foot end?

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
I'm with Pablo on tying my DD as taught as I can and lying straight. Sure it sags a bit but no so much as to make any significant blood rush to the head.

I've been using hammocks for a couple of years. I agree with Moduser about being "closer to the environment". Also, you can sling a hammock pretty much anywhere where there are places to tie them without being concerned about the typography of the ground.

I've experienced "slipping" down the hammock in the past only because I've secured one end higher than the other.
TIP:
(1) sling your hammock in day light before you're had a beer!
(2) make sure your secure your hammock to "live" trees (I'll tell you the story some time :eek: )

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Mr_Rimps said:
I'm with Pablo on tying my DD as taught as I can and lying straight. Sure it sags a bit but no so much as to make any significant blood rush to the head.

I've been using hammocks for a couple of years. I agree with Moduser about being "closer to the environment". Also, you can sling a hammock pretty much anywhere where there are places to tie them without being concerned about the typography of the ground.

I've experienced "slipping" down the hammock in the past only because I've secured one end higher than the other.
TIP:
(1) sling your hammock in day light before you're had a beer!
(2) make sure your secure your hammock to "live" trees (I'll tell you the story some time :eek: )
go on tell us now :p

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Can anyone help me, i'm looking at getting a cheap hammock... just to take out and try out... see how i feel in them, i saw this one:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/index.asp - the jungle hammock

with the proper insulated sleep bag and liner, is this a viable option for the UK wilderness?

P.S sorry for typing this in the middle of this thread, just thought you guys would be in the mood already :D

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
peds8045 said:
Ah yes .... but do you fidget less in a hammock than your bed because you are consiously aware that there is more liklihood of rolling out of your hammock if you make any sudden moves :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: Probably that and the wife is'nt there :lmao:

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
woodmunky said:
Can anyone help me, i'm looking at getting a cheap hammock... just to take out and try out... see how i feel in them, i saw this one:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/index.asp - the jungle hammock

with the proper insulated sleep bag and liner, is this a viable option for the UK wilderness?

P.S sorry for typing this in the middle of this thread, just thought you guys would be in the mood already :D

I've never seen one of those before, but at that price doesn't matter if its not up to it.

The group bye ones are superb, can deffo recomend them.

The DD hammock over on evilbay are quite good but for some a little short.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE