Zebra Cook Pot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Santa brought me a Zebra 16cm cook pot.

It is one solid lump of a pot, nearly as solid as my Bakelite handled pan. It has a very sturdy handle that locks the lid in place when the handle is up, the locks are made of plastic so time will tell how they will last over an open fire although it would not be a problem if they were to melt and fall off. There is a separate stainless steel pot that sits in the top of the pan which can be used as a separate bowl or you can put your water in the pan and stick your baked beans in the bowl and put the bowl in the pan, put the lid on and hang over the fire, I no time you will have boiling water and piping hot beans and the best bit is that the beans will not burn onto the base of the pot.

loop_hdauto.gif

This pot was bought from http://www.culinox.co.uk and normally cost £16.99 for the 16 cm one but at the moment they have a special offer where which ever size you buy you pay only £9.99 + P&P and mine was delivered to the door the next day, a great service.

They also do the rest of the products in the line including the kettle.

billyteapot.jpg

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Santa brought me a 14cm one, they are very good I like the the extra dish it could be used as a pan or plate

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Addy,

+1 rep point coming your way - been thinking about a Zebra - you talked me into one at that price (reckon I'll get the kettle too)

Thanks mate (Hampshire people are always the best of course)!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got a 10cm :D - now we only need a 12cm ;)
A piccie below, compared (for scale) with a Crusader mug & canteen (bought from Woodlore with a 10% discount of 1 GBP on my course :lmao: ). The dish is a bit small to use as a plate (you can make a nice size omelet in it though) - but the billy itself is good for one man use.

Photo-0001.jpg

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Yep, looks like it ended around mid-day today. Just before I went to the site.

Grr.

Still though...there are still a few £ cheaper than most of the bushcraft trading posts.

Dec 30, 2005
South Wales
I've got the 10cm Zebra pot and have been very impressed with it as a one man light weight outfit. I've just ordered a 16cm version from woodlore with some vouchers from santa... I'm hoping my MSR kettle will fit inside it nicely reading for a trip to Norway.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ooh.. i havent seen the kettel before looks great as most times my zebra gets used for boiling water only (im not advanced enough to do stews and most everything else gets fryed in a mess tin!) and this would be a welcome edition to my kit!

trauma

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Midlands, UK
www.razortooth.co.uk
anyone actually leave those white plastic lid retainers on while cooking on a fire? - one report i read said they were fireproof and designed for hammer, but i took them off - white plastic and campfire just didn't mix in my mind......

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
trauma said:
anyone actually leave those white plastic lid retainers on while cooking on a fire? - one report i read said they were fireproof and designed for hammer, but i took them off - white plastic and campfire just didn't mix in my mind......

mine dont have any plastic parts..? which do you have where are these plastic bits/what do they do?

trauma

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Midlands, UK
www.razortooth.co.uk
They are on the hinges to the handle, note the 2 little holes on each side?

zebra.jpg

when the handle is upright they grab the lid and hold it on - at first i thought they were just packaging / transporting, but it looks like they may have real purpose after all. I'll go cooking this weekend and let you know :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Removed the white clips from my billy (carefully with a screwdriver - so they can be added again ...). Let us know how it works :D If it works I'll put mine back on - would be great: stops the lid from floating trough my sack :eek: (though I now carry it in a small ditty / stuff bag - which is quite a drama to use ...

nooky

Nomad
Oct 26, 2005
Watton, Norfolk
I forgot to take the plastic clips off of mine when I started to cook with it, It had turned a yellowy brown colour and seemed to start to melt when I realised my mistake so I quickly flipped them off the pot to be on the safe side. They did go on and off the pot quite easily so you could leave them on for transport and then remove before cooking and then put them back on when finished ready to transport again(so long as you do remember to remove them- mental note). :)
Andrew.

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
About the white plastic - yeah, it melts.

Drops of liquid plastic then work there way down the tin until you take it off the heat. There, they cool and stick to the pot, leaving a much deformed locking mechanism, at which point you're best off removing it all, otherwise it can jam and interfere, making it difficult to take the lid off.

That was the case with mine anyway. I was using a meths stove made from a coke can.

Was searching for a thread about cookpots just now as I need a new one. Could anyone recommend others? I've had a look at MSR and Snow peak but they seem quite expensive for a little pot.. £40-50. Ideally I'd like to keep it under £20 and I'm after one with a more compact (or folding) handle so it's easier to pack. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading,

Randall

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
The Tatonka pots ain't gonna do actually - they're not quite tall enough to store a Bushbuddy.

Man, I've just spent about three hours looking into different pots and haven't found what I'm after. I know what I want now but I don't think anybody makes them. If you know of one please help.

It must:

1. Fit a bushbuddy (11cm wide, 10 high)
2. Be stainless steel
3. Cheap-ish <£25
4. Be around 700-1000ml
5. Compactable (including the handle)

The zebra pots fit the first 4 but I'm yet to see anything that has all five of these things in the same pot :banghead:

****** off, sorry,

Randall

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE