Zebra Billy's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can I suggest a good look at the Tatonka billies too? I've been using one for a while now having a few Zebras as well and I ahve to say I think the Tatonka is probably superior (better lid, locking arm etc.). Both are just fine though and if the Zebra floats your boat, so be it

Red

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Can I suggest a good look at the Tatonka billies too? I've been using one for a while now having a few Zebras as well and I ahve to say I think the Tatonka is probably superior (better lid, locking arm etc.). Both are just fine though and if the Zebra floats your boat, so be it

Red

Agreed:D The tatonkas are as good as the zebras and more easily obtainable

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'll throw my agreement in too. I've replaced my Zebra billies with Tatonka now.

I think the Zebra billy's the wrong shape for cooking. It's OK for boiling water and heating a rat pack, but a wider/shallower pan picks up heat better and spreads it more evenly.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I didn't get on with my Tatonka - I found the loose handle a pain, it rattles when packed and is to easy to lose IMHO.

I do agree that it is a better shape for general gooking tho.

Back to the original question - Woodlore is the only UK stockist that I could find recently (I bought a 16cm model). IIRC they have always priced all 3 sizes the same.

Simon

EDIT:
With the Zebra billy, I drill the "plate" to turn it into a rudimentary sieve. This is because my two main staple food items are rice and pasta. This has the added advantage that you can use it as a steamer too.

This simple mod makes life better for me, as I no longer lose half of my dinner in the grass, meaning camp site stays clean and I stay well fed!

leon-1

I didn't get on with my Tatonka - I found the loose handle a pain, it rattles when packed and is to easy to lose IMHO.

I do agree that it is a better shape for general gooking tho.

Yes, but the handle on the Tatonka Kettles lock and they are available in a number of different sizes. Because they have lower sides the thermal dissipation of heat through the upper reaches is less which makes them better to cook with than the Zebra and due to their greater diameter it makes them more stable when placed on the ground.

With the Zebra billy, I drill the "plate" to turn it into a rudimentary sieve. This is because my two main staple food items are rice and pasta. This has the added advantage that you can use it as a steamer too.

This simple mod makes life better for me, as I no longer lose half of my dinner in the grass, meaning camp site stays clean and I stay well fed!

Nice mod, but does everyone have the facility / tools to produce such a mod? You could just carry a small collander.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
How do you guys cope with 10cm pots? to me thats not much more than a mug!

My main pot is an old high sided enamel saucepan, 19cm x 19cm, handle cut off and replaced with a bail handle of an old galvanized bucket. Sure it could be lighter, but these zebras are hardly featherweights.

added to that, i use a 25cm frying pan, similar bail but this one tightens with wingnuts, for obvious reasons. and i got a trangia 25 kettle.

i know people like to pack light and small, but what kinda meal can you cook in a pot the size of a mug?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
How do you guys cope with 10cm pots? to me thats not much more than a mug!

My main pot is an old high sided enamel saucepan, 19cm x 19cm, handle cut off and replaced with a bail handle of an old galvanized bucket. Sure it could be lighter, but these zebras are hardly featherweights.

added to that, i use a 25cm frying pan, similar bail but this one tightens with wingnuts, for obvious reasons. and i got a trangia 25 kettle.

i know people like to pack light and small, but what kinda meal can you cook in a pot the size of a mug?
Cook from scratch? next to nothing, but boil in the bag meals it's more than big enough, and water left over for a brew;)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I have the Zebra and the Tatonka and depending on what I am cooking they both have an application - both as heavy as hell but hey if I am prepared to carry them who cares. Zebra definitely suspends better over the fire with less chance of tipping but the Tatonka is better straight on top of the embers for the reasons stated previously regarding stabilty and dissipation. I also have a Zebra kettle which is fantastic and lives on top of my log burner as my boiler of choice. I think the build quality of the Zebra is slightly better than the Tatonka but there is not much in it. It is interesting to see some people list the locking handle on the Tatonka as a positive as I must confess it does tend to get on my nerves a bit. The lid of the Tatonka can sometimes be a bit tricky to remove if you don't fit the wire handle unlike the zebra however what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabout as the Tatonka lid intentionally doubles as a very capable frying pan. In summary I like em both but for diversity I would opt for the Tatonka :)

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I'm not sure why everyone goes for Zebra's. I got a 12cm and really didn't rate it at all.

I use the Tracpac billy set. The 14cm is excellent. You don;t have to mod the handle so it suspends properly and the lid can double as a small frying pan. These handles fold away.

A 250 grm gas canister fits inside and so does a bushbuddy stove. You get 3 billy's. The smallest is the 14cm, the larger ones (if not being used) can be modded for hobo stoves and all at 14 quid (includes a carrying bag). Only disadvantage are they're aluminium but that makes them lighter. I've had mine 5 years and apart from a couple of dents which give it character, I've had no problems.

Pablo.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I'm not sure why everyone goes for Zebra's. I got a 12cm and really didn't rate it at all.

The reason I'm after a 10cm billy is not for the brand, its so that it fits inside my woolworths hobo stove (wayland rip off).

The diameter of that is 11 cm so a 10 cm diameter billy is ideal to fit inside and still leave airflow when its burning.

For real cooking though there will be a mini wok on top of the stove.

Maybe I should have titled my post "Wanted billy with a 10cm diameter" :rolleyes:

AC

In that case I'd check out Wilkinson's if you've got one nearby (otherwise any other retailer of household stuff.

I have made my own 10cm billy from a stainless steel coffee tin (and it was a fraction of the price of a Zebra).

sorry if this has already been suggested and I missed it.

PS. despite having made a small set-up in this size, my main hobo kit is based around a 14cm Zebra billy (which I already had) due to the slightly larger capacity making it more adaptable, hence the hobo stove has been made from a stainless steel biscuit barrel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE