"Zebra Billy Can"!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
OK >>>>>> I maybe just saying some thing thats been said on the forum yet I d'not remember seeing it & if so I'm sorry(got a :( pounding head ack)
.... .. Yesterday I got a 10cm zebra with a nice little dish in side, I was going to get a 14cm only I noticed that it had lid retainers on it , which on farther investigation turn out to be plastic!.
Which on my gaz stove would be no problem yet over an open Fire may need more of a watchful eye to stop them getting melted...I just thought you should be aware there are more than one sort!.

makes me wonder if this is going to be a permanent change?.

This was from weymouth, if any one is intrested their contact info: weymouth@stockpots.co.uk .........ring their Weymouth shop on 01305 839433 and ask to speak to Mrs Clarke.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I got two the other day a 10cm and a 14cm ,was wondering what to do.
Do I take them off and not have any or do I take them off and make some nice brass ones
what where they like before?

James

jdlenton said:
Do I take them off and not have any or do I take them off and make some nice brass ones

James
JD they look like this http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/Shop2005.htm (they seem to have changed there stock last
time i looked, some good kit thou) under cooking equip. ..........took me an hour to find but here you go dude.the weymouth ones much cheaper and p&p is below £2..sorry pic is not better.

The 10cm. size seems right for one person cooking lobscouse
or what ever Le CordonBleu to my eye @ 2 meal a day approx..

you girls/guys out there are lucky to have got the larger size from what I see...

I got mine after you posted this and the stockpots price was cheaper than shown in your table;) so maybe they have gone down!

Diameter (cm)........10.............12...........14........ ....16
Height (cm).............11.8..........14...........16.5.. .......18.8
Weight (kg).............0.450........0.550......0.750.... ....0.950
Liter.........................0.7............1.4.. ........2.0............3.0

Price (£) @
Stockpots................9.95..........12.45...... ..15.95........19.50
Woodlore .................X..............19.99.........X... ............15.00
Bearclaw .................X..............19.99.........23.5 0........X
Woodland Org. .......16.99 .......17.99........18.99.........X
Survival school........14.99........16.99........19.95..... ...21.95

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Strange , thats where i got my 14 cm zebra from .
It does have the plastic clips , but they snap off easily !!!
Pumbaa

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
might purchase one one day but for the moment to stifle my curiosity.... what are the clips for? - esp as it seems you don't need them anyway!?

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
The clips are used to hold the lid on when the handle is upright . I think they are used as lunch tins (or something similar) in china (or wherever they are made).
Pumbaa

nooky

Nomad
Oct 26, 2005
Watton, Norfolk
I ordered the 10 cm and 14 cm billys yesterday. Stockpots in weymouth still have the 10, 12 and 14 cm billys but have run out of the 16 cm billys but should have some more after christmas if anyone is interested. :)
Andrew.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I think I heard that the Zebras are made in Thailand, but people here in China do use mess tins and billies for their lunch, so you can get them in every grocery store for next to nothing. I got a billy can for 70p that seems reasonable quality, except where the handle is attached to the pot with dodgy welds. If it holds up well I could start looking into shipping a few over to the UK.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
jdlenton said:

James
Hi, I've just bought some zebra billy cans and having just found this forum my question has been partially answered, as to whether or not the plastic would melt. They dont appear to be entirely essential to the cans function? What did you eventually do with the plastic retaining clips? Any info would be appreciated....thanks

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
the plastic clip is a new feature on the pots. One that is absolutely useless to the bushcrafter. Handy for the kitchen but fires kill the plastic double qiuck.

the is no need to retain the clips as their only function is to hold the lid tight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE