Yummy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
10991207_10155268705965191_8379035015270946446_n.jpg

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Sorry needs to leap to defense of ockra here one of my favorite vegtables- whether used in a whole range of south Asian dishes e.g. curried lamb with okra or my own prawn gumbo

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds like something Shrek would have in the cupboard.

Yeah it does doesn't it.

are we talking about the north american Opossum here or the australian (NZintroduced) common brushtail possum?! the latter one is a pest but tastes GREAT in a stew or roasted.... . now my mouth starts to water....

Probably the NA one. I expect the label's a gag or novelty thing but the possum is indeed edible here too.

Sorry needs to leap to defense of ockra here one of my favorite vegtables- whether used in a whole range of south Asian dishes e.g. curried lamb with okra or my own prawn gumbo

Fantastic in gumbo (technically "gumbo" is a Swahili word meaning okra) Also great stewed with tomatoes; or sliced, dredged in cornmeal and fried. But NEVER! NEVER! Never eat okra unless it's still young and tender. Otherwise it's like eating a piece of rope.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've been served okra several times in several very different places. I wanted to learn what so many people
rave about the texture and the taste. I didn't get it.

Once. Just once, I had Bird's Nest Soup. To enjoy something horked up by some tubercular, cliff-nesting swallow,
was worst than snot. I can't cough hard enough to duplicate that.

At the very least, I recognize what goes into poutine.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
are we talking about the north american Opossum here or the australian (NZintroduced) common brushtail possum?! the latter one is a pest but tastes GREAT in a stew or roasted.... . now my mouth starts to water....

Got to leap to the defence of the australian possum. Native animal that doesn't damage anything. The only time it is a 'pest' is when people have poorly sealed roof spaces, it gets in and runs around keeping you awake at night.

Got to leap to the defence of the australian possum. Native animal that doesn't damage anything. The only time it is a 'pest' is when people have poorly sealed roof spaces, it gets in and runs around keeping you awake at night.

i had enough trouble with them on THE kangaroo island and in tasmania

in OZ they're native (and protected) in NZ they're introduced and a big problem- which is why possum killing is national sport #3 in NZ... .(you can buy possum traps all over the country)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've been served okra several times in several very different places. I wanted to learn what so many people
rave about the texture and the taste. I didn't get it.

Once. Just once, I had Bird's Nest Soup. To enjoy something horked up by some tubercular, cliff-nesting swallow,
was worst than snot. I can't cough hard enough to duplicate that.

At the very least, I recognize what goes into poutine.

If you think about it, the same could be said about oatmeal. But I like that too. And oysters. And liver. And hog brains with eggs. Etc. etc. etc.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Reminds me of a friend of mine who ate the content of a tin he found in his parents cellar. He later got to know it was a souvenir from the far east; he didn't feel so well when he realized what had been in it...

Last edited:
What sort of trouble?

they're notorious for raiding camps/backpacks/tents on hiking trails- the ""highlight"" for me was a possum-infested campsite near port arthur where they kicked my pot with the leftover noodles from the fire when i was away for one minute--- i actually slept with my knobkerrie at hand in case they get too close to my swag...; another time i had one walking over my lseeping bag @ nite- i lifted my legs and sent it flying! on THE kangaroo island a possum chewed a large hole in my sock on the clothes line overnight and bit someone else in the toes begging for food..... shall i go on?!

in NZ they classified as a pest as they eat the eggs/chicks of ground-dwelling birds (kiwis etc.), spread diseases, knock out the tips of young trees etc. ....(and can raid gardens, too!)
the ""department of conversation""(that's is NOT a typing mistake!) thinks 1080 poison is the solution but that is a rather controversial subject.

personally i trapped and shot them (airgun):AR15firinbefore butchering them and chucking them in the pot....

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Oh good grief.
I grew up on a farm in Australia.
No farmer thinks of the possums as pests. An irritation sometimes.
So you left food unattended in a campsite and the possums went fossicking in it? That's not a surprise, if you did it in the UK you'd get rats or other animals in it. Don't leave food unattended. It's a good general rule to follow when camping.

Possums are about as unaggressive as wild animals get. I've caught them, to relocate them, when I was a kid. They'd stay in an ordinary cardboard box without trying to scratch their way out.

Frankly, your attitude to wild animals appalls me. Your very first post on this forum was seeking advice for spearing pigs, because you'd heard some outside at night. You seem to be under the impression that if they come close to you they are a threat and should be killed. A possum walked over you sleeping bag - was it one of the vampire possums that drains your body of blood?
Leave alone, don't tempt them by leaving food around, you won't get problems.

Oh good grief.
I grew up on a farm in Australia.
No farmer thinks of the possums as pests. An irritation sometimes.
So you left food unattended in a campsite and the possums went fossicking in it? That's not a surprise, if you did it in the UK you'd get rats or other animals in it. Don't leave food unattended. It's a good general rule to follow when camping.

Possums are about as unaggressive as wild animals get. I've caught them, to relocate them, when I was a kid. They'd stay in an ordinary cardboard box without trying to scratch their way out.

Frankly, your attitude to wild animals appalls me. Your very first post on this forum was seeking advice for spearing pigs, because you'd heard some outside at night. You seem to be under the impression that if they come close to you they are a threat and should be killed. A possum walked over you sleeping bag - was it one of the vampire possums that drains your body of blood?
Leave alone, don't tempt them by leaving food around, you won't get problems.

i think there is a misunderstanding here...
#1: my first post was in 2008- the thread about pigs was much later! i also thought i had made clear that i was looking for a means of defence rather them going after them!
#2: the only time i left food unattended in ""possum territory"" was the incident with the pot kicked of the fire when i was literally one minute away (+the whole campsite was ""possum paradise"")-- if i'm out bushwalking as soon as i make camp i take my food out of my backpack and hang it from a thin rope on a tree out of possum reach
#3: ""catch and relocate"" if you do'nt relocate far enough it will just wait on your door for your return... . otherwise a new possum might take over the vacant territory...

#4 i have hunted and killed animals in the past- YES! and given the opprtunity to do so legally i will go hunting in the future again! HOWEVER i do NOT enjoy killing animals- i consider taking a life a serious thing and ALWAYS make sure it is a quick and clean kill! + my principle is (reinforced during 2month spent with aborigines) ""you kill it- you eat it!""

and more often i just enjoy watching animals without any intentions to hunt them (in more then one occasion i was as close as maybe 4m from WILD animals who were unaware of my presence)....

:rant:finished...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE