yukky wabbit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Here's one for you all, my sister got a rabbit from the local butchers a couple of days ago, (i did offer her a couple of the ones i got last night, but she turned them down :( ), anyway tonight she made a nice rabbit casserole, only thing is, it tastes awful, (and yes she is a good cook before anyone says otherwise) the rabbit tastes and smells of fish - any ideas what could cause this?, im assuming it might have been a doe and a tad milky, but not having seen it prior to cooking i dont know:confused: , i also have a nagging thought that it could be the time of year, i seem to remember an old country gent i used to know, telling me years ago that rabbit is at it's best between September & November?.

She did say that when she was preparing the rabbit, she didn't smell anything that indicated it was off nor did she see anything on the meat that indicated it was off / had an infection etc.

Appreciate your comments/suggestions, and yep it had crossed my mind that she was trying to kill me off.

cheers

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Did she joint the rabbit? If she cooked it whole, she may have got a stray "Rabbit Raisin" stuck in the body cavity! Dunno why it would have tasted of fish though, unless it is some genetic experiment!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nope it was all jointed and clean before she popped it in the pot apparently

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
there is a very small gland down by the tail and if this overlooked can taint the meat big time i tend to over cut around this area too make sure its gone hope this helps

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That would explain it, forgot about that there gland, i'll ask her if the butcher took them out for her, if not i'll prepare the thing next time round

Cheers guys

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
there is a very small gland down by the tail and if this overlooked can taint the meat big time i tend to over cut around this area too make sure its gone hope this helps

Seconded- Usually a pair of glands: beige/light-brown coloured and raisin-sized. They smell strong and give the meat a very gamey, pungent taste (which my wife can't stand, but I find ok!) When you paunch the bunny you can usually take them out with the rectum if you have split the "H-bone".

Maver, I hope this doesn't put you or your sister off yummy-bunny. A quiet word with the butcher will probably be beneficial for all concerned.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Further to the request made earlier, here are the pics that show which scent glands on a rabbit to remove.
Note the grey yellow blobs either side of the tail bone, these are the scent glands that need to be removed in order that during cooking the musky scents are not released into your food.
post-6472-1176933402.jpg

Note the glands either side of the tailbone are removed. Your (wild) rabbit will taste MUCH nicer :!:
post-6472-1176933273.jpg

All the best.

Had the same discussion on my boards a while ago, the above was posted there.

LS

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice one guys... We have shot a load of bunnys here recently and rabbit stew is on the menu for tonight.. This thread has helped a lot...

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Seconded- Usually a pair of glands: beige/light-brown coloured and raisin-sized. They smell strong and give the meat a very gamey, pungent taste (which my wife can't stand, but I find ok!) When you paunch the bunny you can usually take them out with the rectum if you have split the "H-bone".

Maver, I hope this doesn't put you or your sister off yummy-bunny. A quiet word with the butcher will probably be beneficial for all concerned.

Nah it wont put me or my sister off rabbit, dunno why she went to the butcher anyway cos i was out shooting later in week and she could have had a load for free, in fact im just off out to bag a few more this evening:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE