Yucca Leaf Fiber Bow Drill String

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I tried using another proven material for making a bow drill string, yucca leaf fibers. I've seen these leaves used with no more processing than just twisting a couple of whole leaves together a few times. I decided to rip the leaves into smaller fibers and make a two strand twisted cord, thinking that this would probably increase my chance of success. The time I spent processing and making this cord was less than 1 hour!

I used three yucca leaves. Here's what they looked like before I processed them:
f0yyw2.jpg

2liud4x.jpg

I folded the leaves along their length to put lengthwise cracks in them, then I spun them between my palms to further loosen the fibers. Then I pulled them apart into smaller pieces. Here's what the smaller pieces looked like:
o8t0ll.jpg

3021mbm.jpg

Then I took the groups of strands and twisted them into a cord. After twisting the cord, I stored it in a small zip lock bag for about an hour until I had the opportunity to go into my back yard and test it:
2l89mz6.jpg

29zoeno.jpg

5al4px.jpg

2zrnuiv.jpg

The cord was a bit thicker than my previous cords and it felt much stronger. It was also green, so it stretched a slight bit. But since I only tied one end, I was able to relatively quickly adjust the tension and continue bowing.

2wmghmt.jpg

And here's the video of the cord being used to make fire:

[video=youtube;D6JoHurUuB8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6JoHurUuB8[/video]

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks for that.

I have loads of dried yucca leaves waiting for me to do just what you did.

I like the technique of only tying one end too; good information.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE