youtube vid about split cane rod making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When I was little these were still commonplace but rapidly becoming outdated by glass fibre. They were given to kids to play with/use up, so we did.
Shame when I think on it now.
I always wondered how they'd made them from 'cane'

Thank you for the link :)

M

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I haven't had a banananana sandwich since my gran died :eek: She used to feed those to me all the time after school.

My dad had a few old split cane rods. I remember he tried to teach me to cast a fly with one when I was a kid but it was way too heavy for me. I wonder if he still has it?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Time well wasted. I really liked the music as it fit both the shop and the stream.

I saw the death of Fiberglas fly rods as graphite and graphite-boron rods came flooding in.
Building a rod should be on everybody's bucket list. Mine is a #9 Fiberglas for windy west coast rivers.
The 'glas blanks were on sale everywhere but the reel seats were not! Cost more than the blank!
It's a clumsy old pole by modern standards but it is mine. I built it. All dressed with Hardy reel and spools.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Beautiful rods. I own a couple, restored ones.
I have fished with them, just to try them out, but did not enjoy it, too afraid to break them.

I wish I knew how to make one!

My best rod is a Boron fibre rod. Cost me an arm and a leg in the early 80’s, but it has the nicest ‘feel’.

I also have a Boron fibre spinning rod, same age. Cost me the other arm and leg, but that one I do not use.

Prefer glass fibre for spinning and deep sea fishing rods.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't know if you can buy cane blanks. There's 6 radial pieces.
Glue then rolled up like the video. The rest is far easier than the meticulous shaping efforts.

Buy a rod blank. What ever your heart desires.
Reel seat, handle corks, line guide set, tip, hook keeper, threads and dope.
Curse for 2 weeks trying to find the spine of the blank to place the line guides.
Got them in a straight row? Really?

When you finally get out on the water, you can estimate that your home-grown rod is worth about 3X the cost of the parts.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No sweat. For a cane rod, your manual dexterity and some very nice hand tools, coupled with 50 years of experience ought to serve you well.

Buy a glas or graphite blank. Buy the parts. Build it. The guy in the next office to me built maybe a rod per month for his entire family.
Yeah, I got lucky.
Honestly, it's easier than fitting rings on a piston. Redline in First was 8,000. Just build it.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
What a craftsman! Angler paid a pretty penny for that rod, so much so that he couldn't afford waders.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE