Your most sentimental piece of kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
It doesnt have to be big, it doesnt have to be exspensive; which piece of kit means the most to you??

For me personally there are many to chose from, the clipper was my first decent knife etc. But there are two small bits that mean the most to me, the first is my G4GHB firesteel (Cheers Graham!) because I had wanted a good one for ages and Graham made me the biggest, best one I've ever handled for half the price!

My second is one made by G4GHB again (cheers again graham!! :rolleyes: ) and it's a hipflask wrapped in leather with my wilderbeast insignia (the flame in the corner!!) sewed into it. Just reminds me of BCUK everytime I use it, and the friends on here!! Plus the stuff inside (Laproigh or whisky mac) makes me feel pretty good too!!!

so go on, show us yours!!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
It doesnt have to be big, it doesnt have to be exspensive; which piece of kit means the most to you??

For me personally there are many to chose from, the clipper was my first decent knife etc. But there are two small bits that mean the most to me, the first is my G4GHB firesteel (Cheers Graham!) because I had wanted a good one for ages and Graham made me the biggest, best one I've ever handled for half the price!

My second is one made by G4GHB again (cheers again graham!! :rolleyes: ) and it's a hipflask wrapped in leather with my wilderbeast insignia (the flame in the corner!!) sewed into it. Just reminds me of BCUK everytime I use it, and the friends on here!! Plus the stuff inside (Laproigh or whisky mac) makes me feel pretty good too!!!

so go on, show us yours!!

mostly memories to be fair!.............. but love my indian mediecen bag.... holds my memories close to my heart.. contains a little item from each member of my family.............. a spoon it took about 12years to carve but each time i took the time to add to it i can remember.......... happy(er) times

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have a leather pouch that my wife bought me for my traditional strike a light steel, she just bought me a larger version which I've to find a use for. The other thing she bought me is my little wooden match safe, which may have originally been a snuff box. It has a silver lucky shamrock in the lid, holds two dozen matches or so and is possibly the most beautiful pieces of my bushcraft kit. It was also my wooden wedding anniversary gift!

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Great thread. My most sentimental bit of kit that still goes with me everywhere is an old knife, fork and spoon. They are full sized, extremely lightweight aluminum and battered to hell. The fit together with a great little locking mechanism-a type of lever on the side to hold them together.
I picked the set up when I was about 12 (I'm now 44) at a second hand flea market in Quebec-they were old and battered when I got them-for about 10 cents.
Now I generally don't even bother with the fork and knife, I just take the spoon.
The best part is that the spoon has the lever mechanism and it makes a great hook to keep the spoon from falling in the pot/bowl/bag when cooking and eating.

FarPoint

All those who wander are not lost-JRR Tolkien.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Hmm... Probably my Victorinox spartan swiss army knife. I got it years ago as a christmas present from my parents and they also had my name ingraved on the large blade. I loved that thing and swiss army knives were always really cool to me and so to actually have one was awesome, even after I sliced open my finger with it, that was just like getting to know it.;)

If I had of hung around my grandfather more, he might have given me something that would be special to me because he was really into camping and seems like the type of guy who might do that... Still is into it but actually going and doing that stuff is behind him. A real shame, would've liked to go with him when he went to alaska.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
my kangeroo leather austrailian bush hat that me grandad gave me the money to buy when i was eleven and then died when i was tweleve. I didnt get the hat till i was seventeen and used the exact money he gave me cos i keot it in my copper collection jar till i went to buy it. and so every time i wear it i think of him and that is why its quite sentimental.
drew

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Good thread. For me it has to be my little camp kettle. It was part of the family camping kit, then went all over the world with me whilst in the forces, and now travels with me most of the time when I'm solo or with a companion. It only boils enough water for two, but has loads of memories associated with it.

I'm also rather attached to a tarp I got from Abbe Osram (Sp?). I always wonder what tales it could tell me if it could talk.

Dec 16, 2007
I did have an old '44 metal mug that I had from when I was in the army in the late 80's in the end it fell to bits so was replaced with a crusader which is great.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
for me it is a 1963 Randall 1-6 that I got new and has been around the world with me.
And my Rolex Sub also a 1963 mod also had it since new. still wear it
every day

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'm very fickle with my kit. A cherished piece one week goes out of favour the next when I think of a better option.
The two things I would never be without though (for the last 10 years anyway) are my Peruvian chullo with a thinsulate lining I stitched into it. Toastie so only when it's cold.

and a Cambodian krama neckscarf which is my dishcloth/towel.

Interestingly, they were both acquired shortly after stressful experiences with dodgy border officials and perhaps remind me of more adventurous times!

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
My most sentimental bit of kit is a sheath Knife I saved up for and cost the Ten shillings and six pence (52 and half pence) in 1966. Carried it all through my army years, small as I was only 8 years old when I got it, but still excellent for skinning rabbits and the blade isn't so wide with all the sharpening, love it to bits though.

D:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like the feel of this thread,
I have a three pronged sliding extendable toasting fork that was one of my great, great grandfathers apprentice pieces when he trained as a blacksmith. Just over a foot long, it slides smoothly out to two feet, so meaning that that roasty fire doesn't melt my eyes as I cook that sausgae or make the morning toast. Must say that I forgot to take it last year and my mate Scotty made a pretty wonderfull copy of the lightmyfire granpa fork in about five mins with a piece of fencing wire. It stays in my fire bag now and is growing in sentiment as it means I can have two sausages at once.:lol:
Goatboy.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
My Stuart Mitchell custom in O1. Made to my own design and it's been with me on some of the most memorable trips. I have a couple more by Stu to the same pattern in RWL-34, and a new one on it's way in carbon fibre. This one has character though and I'll never be without it.

DSC02009.jpg

7Mar2009-BunkersHillWood44.jpg

21JULY200817.jpg

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
While I don`t have sentimental thoughts about kit in general, it could all be replaced, I kind of like my self made kuksa, and my Brusletto Storhallingen knife.
The kuksa has been with me on every trip since 1997 when I made it, and the knife I got from a friend about 20 years ago. It is also a discontinued model.

Tor

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
for me it`s my Leatherman PST(personal survival tool) the model with the clipped blade, my wife bought it for me just before I went to Iraq, it has never been off my belt ever since it`s been around the world with me, it all ways reminds me to call home and tell her I love her:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE