Your favourite thread of all time?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Idly curious and unable to get out despite the lovely weather, I started to look at statistics. I joined in 2006 when as far as I could make out the BushcraftUK had been going about three years. The numbers of threads and posts are staggering and i have no idea how many posts i have read in that time. It got me to pondering about which has been my favourite thread if i could pick only one amongst so many of interest.

If pushed, I'd go for the monthly photo competition. It is always of interest and reminds me of why I love the natural world.

What would you pick as your favourite thread and why?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
There are so many superb threads on peoples trips, how to guides, and interesting crafts. But I have to say the thread that always sticks out to me is the Fear of the Dark thread with peoples scare stories, not to mention pistachio man :happy:

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Best grind thread is good, its one of those fantastically aimless threads, and is a bit like when your a bit drunk with mates and try to find consensus on best car or most beautiful woman your never going to and it never mattered! but my fav would be peoples skill on show whatever that may be, it a snap shot and a quickly fading moment of countless hours of developed skill, there applaudable and inspiring.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Threads where the artisan members show the knives made by them.

The funniest must be where members discuss the little wagons and similar they use to lug their overly plentyful and heavy equipment from the carpark.
Had they posted videos, they would have been better than Mr Bean!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There was a thread on BB a few years ago. A guy told a survival tale .. a plane came down in Kenya, I think, and he had a BRKT Canadian knife with him. The thread went on for days of him relating the elaborate turns of the time it took till he was rescued .. before everyone clicked he was having us on :) Sadly, I think he got banned. Then there was another guy who faked a photo to make it look like a Woodlore was a fake .. Pourquoi? Un mystere! :lol: I think it was Stew here who saw through it in the end. And, there was another one who posted a photo of some biltong drying and claimed it was a webcam of biltong drying. Laughed like a drain, I did.

The best threads there were the ones that started with some moderately sane remark or query and gradually declined into the wonderful, sharp and bizarre humour that characterized the place. You couldn't say the thread was about anything, really. All gone now, of course.

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
For me its the thread on "when in trouble... make a cup of tea". Real advice that works even in my boring life.

Of course there are always the threads started by me......nagh never nope!

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I seem to remember another post along the lines of this one, and my reply then was the cup of tea post. I have always remembered that one, mainly for the bit in it paraphrased as, 'it's positively normal to have an emergency brew kit if you happen to be english'

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There was a thread on BB a few years ago. A guy told a survival tale .. a plane came down in Kenya, I think, and he had a BRKT Canadian knife with him. The thread went on for days of him relating the elaborate turns of the time it took till he was rescued .. before everyone clicked he was having us on :) Sadly, I think he got banned. Then there was another guy who faked a photo to make it look like a Woodlore was a fake .. Pourquoi? Un mystere! :lol: I think it was Stew here who saw through it in the end. And, there was another one who posted a photo of some biltong drying and claimed it was a webcam of biltong drying. Laughed like a drain, I did.

The best threads there were the ones that started with some moderately sane remark or query and gradually declined into the wonderful, sharp and bizarre humour that characterized the place. You couldn't say the thread was about anything, really. All gone now, of course.

Oh, the plane survivor story was epic. My favourite thread of all time actually ran backstage at BB and involved a hugely elaborate, but ultimately harmless, con. We did some serious sleuthing and found ourselves involved with a certain well known survival bloke and a sad fella who’d got rather carried away in his fantasy world.

On here, I like the pics threads, monthly comps. Some of the photos are awe inspiring.

What did you buy today? Was the postie good to you? type threads are always good too.

I have to say I enjoyed the recent coat expert troll a great deal, and agree with John about the entertaining wibble of the grind thread.

Reactions: Billy-o

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tombear's Vintage tool collections. The postings never lose their freshness. Always expect the unexpected.
He's never reluctant to explain his restoration techniques to us all.
His artisanal skills aren't too shabby, either for turnings and leather work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE