Your Bannock/Damper recipe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well I made my first damper a little while ago and it tasted lovely.
Everyone has their own personal favourite recipe so here's the place you share it!
In mine I had:

2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup milk
one egg
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of sugar
roughly 3-4 tablespoons butter.
a good handful of raisins

Sift the flour, pinch in the butter add everything else, knead it, lightly dust with flour and bake in the oven for about 20-30 mins. (you could of course do this in a pan on the fire, or even directly on the fire)

That is of course more of a sweet version but that's how I liked it.

Asa.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Asa
I shall look forward to trying this recipe out sans raisins. Thanks.

The other recipes for bannock have baking powder or similar in them and they give the bread a 'funny' taste to me*

Best regards
Alan

*probably me being a naff cook!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Humpback,
No problem, The raisins make a really nice addition. I want to add some more dried fruit next time I make it (or if my sweet tooth really gets the better of me some chocolate chips).

You would only need to add baking powder if you were using plain flour. If you were then you might've just added too much. You need about 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt per cup of plain flour.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
1 big handful of self-rasing flour
1 egg
1 small handful of mixed fruit and glace cherries
1 spoon of brown sugar

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Two cups S/R flour
One cup milk powder
Pinch of salt
Handful of raisins
Two tsp brown sugar
Honey to drizzle on top

All premixed in a ziploc bag ready to just add water and mix in the bag

Lovely job

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How much water, Shewie?

Just keep adding a little at a time and scruching the bag up to mix it. Probably about a cup full in the end though I reckon. You don't want the mix too wet otherwise it sticks to the inside of the bag and generally gets everywhere.
Put a bit of oil in the pan and then flop it out and spread it about.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
can you take the bannock mix pre mixed and then cook it later, or do you have to use it while the baking powder is still active??

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I think most people take it mixed (but with no liquids, egg and milk powder in the mi and then adding water when cooking) so as far as I know it should be fine but I'm no baker.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I think most people take it mixed (but with no liquids, egg and milk powder in the mi and then adding water when cooking) so as far as I know it should be fine but I'm no baker.

what do you guys mix it in though, can you afford to take one pan for the sole purpose of mixing as it gets everywhere??

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Can you cook it in a frying pan on a stove? I'm going for a walk later in the week and taking my trangia and I'd really like to make one to take with me. anything i should do (extra flour on the pan or something?) as I don't want to try it and get it wrong and waste food.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Your trangia with a frying pan will be fine Asa, just put a couple of tablespoons of oil in the pan and let it get hot first.

Take some piccies too ;)

You'll need to flip it over and do the other side as you're not placing it by a fire to toast the top.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
how would you go about doing bannock on the little military trangia models?
i take it you could make small batches in the lid?
or do you chaps just throw it in the main section to get a large oval bannock ;)

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
These are my standard mixes.

Standard Base:
2 cup plain flour
1 cup milk powder
1 tsp baking powder
Good pitch of salt.

Cheesy mod

add a couple of tbsp of cheese sauce granules

Sweet mod (more of a cakey texture and taste.

1 heaped tbsp powdered egg
unrefined sugar to taste (I literally test the mix)
chopped crystallised ginger (again to taste, and mood)
dried cranberries
extra sugar to sprinkle on top before baking.

Another tip to add flavor which works with both is to use toast water (basically soaking dry toast in water) instead of plain water. Toast water also makes a very refreshing drink (with or without sugar/lemon and especially as cold as you can get it) and was traditionally used as an invalid food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE