You Winding Me Up?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Great idea, but not very portable, much smaller battery powerd units are available, good if you are base camping though.

Rob

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
I've got one of these - a Freeplay Ranger. Great little radio! Wind up, charge before you go from the mains, and charge from solar if we ever get any sun:rolleyes:

ranger.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I now use an Eton FR140 wind up. Excellent reception, AM / FM & SW. Torch built in (wish it wasnt but it does work). Wind up, solar and re-chargeable vis a USB or mains adaptor. Stunning little radio, great for garden use etc.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I see them often on building sites and the ones I have so far seen have been a wind-up alright:(

I have a little battery powered radio (with no extra crap on it like a clock, digital display or alarm that causes them to to need to be using energy all the time) and it lasts for ages and ages with a set of batteries, on the other hand the wind-up radios I have seen run for about 20 mins (if they are lucky) then need a good winding. I honestly have not seen a good one yet.

Can you tell I'm pretty unimpressed by windup radios?

Oh and don't get me started on DAB battery munchers, fine if you plug em into the mains but not really much cop when they are on battery power.

dunno about radios but those wind up lanterns are a waste of time we let one go flat onceand after 40mins of frantic winding in relays between 4 of us we got 5 mins of bright ish light then it was to dim to do anyhting by

normally they are charged in the car or mains and you playat winding them before the main charge gets used to feel good about not having to use batteries :D :rolleyes:
these are using a few LEDs so i guess a radio would use more power

if you have one let it go flat and see how far winding power alone gets you :eek:

ATB

Duncan

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I've had a freeplay one for nearly ten years.
In that time it has been carried around, been dropped, got left out in the rain, been droppped some more :rolleyes: dislodged its spring (another fall from a couple of metres up onto a solid floor) and been generally abused.

It still works, although I can't wind it up properly anymore (I wonder why? :rolleyes: )
A couple of minutes winding lasts for over half an hour and if there is a bit of sunshine it hardly needs wound up at all cause the solar cell seems to work well.

In fact once I went away for the weekend and it was a miserable day when I left. The weekend was glorious sunshine:cool: and I got back on Sunday eve, to find my radio (sitting on the kitchen window sill) on at full blast playing very dodgy music. Appartently it had been going all weekend :D

(Make sure you don't get a digital one though as they use 10x as much power!, Think of that when you pay your energy bills after digital switch over!)

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
i dont like them personally just because they seem a bit fragile and cheap and extra weight but im sure you could get a good one for a price

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Had one bought for Xmas 3 years ago and used it twice. It's under the stairs, wrapped in plastic with the other stuff that gets used when we have power cuts (happen at least once a year round by me).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE