You Know You're A Bushcrafter When...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Just for fun, because none of us take ourselves or our activities too seriously...

You Know You're A Bushcrafter When...

You eat all your meals with the wonky spoon you bloody well made and are bloody well going to bloody use.

Over to you...

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When you eat your morning porridge with a spoon you made yourself
When all your felt hats hang on natural-grown wooden hooks
When your children get high quality sleeping bags for their birthdays
When you have more sleeping bags than tweed jackets
When it is possible to shave with your kitchen knives
When you light your woodstove without newspaper, prefering fuzz sticks and small pieces of birchbark.
When a power cut is no big deal; you have more headlamps than familly members (and you know you are a medieval reneactor when you have hundreds of candles, tens of candlesticks, and several firesteels but no bic lighers).

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
We're Bushcrafters?

Do any of us actually get out and "bushcraft"?

Or, do we spend most of our spare time on here? :)

Right I'm off for a bimble....

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
.... When you can't walk, drive etc past a skip without glancing in to see what might be useful.....
.... When you shake your head in disbelief when you see workmen chipping perfectly good carving wood / fuel, cordage material from having trimmed the trees along a roadside....
.... When you call in to work to say your snowed in, but spend the entire day outdoors building iglu's, snowholes, fires and so on...
.... When your clothes are mostly natural fibres with a permanent but feint smell of woodsmoke...

Bound to be loads more

Ogri the trog

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I like the woodsmoke one Ogri! :D My mum first caught on to me fire lighting years ago because of it and told me ( constantly ) to stop, I tried...I really did! but couldn't :( she now accepts it's just something I'm going to do regardless of what she says, but I think she was just worried I was going to set the whole woods on fire! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When your chin is hairy and your left arm is shaved...

Oi!!!:eek:
Not one hair on my chin :rolleyes: and Mother nature didn't provide enough to show if I try to shave an arm :rolleyes: :D

You know you're a bushcrafter when.......

your handbag has a laplander in it ;)
your pocket has a length of cordage (right now it's willowbark)
your dinner usually has something that was growing ten minutes ago :)
your friends don't comment on the eau de kipper anymore :eek:
your other half considers a request for another knife as a good idea to remember for a Christmas present :)
"That looks useful:approve: " is your usual reply to spotting something interesting.
O.D. is never out of fashion :D

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
You have fungi in your porch... just till you find out what it is
You fix things that arent broke, but could just do with...
A pie iron is not an alien object

Sam

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
When a power cut is no big deal; you have more headlamps than familly members
'Ti true.

Also when SWMBO had to go driving to work on a snow-day I was able to lay my hands on water bottles, stove, bowl, tin cup, lighter, noodles, torch, survival blanket from my ready-to-bimble kit almost at arm's length!

I too drive past skips thinking that's a nice piece of wood/metal/container etc. And what's more I'm not too embarassed about knocking on a door and saying "Excuse me but I just happened to notice in your skip..."

How about you know when your a bushcrafter when:

- You just feel most at ease sitting and moving quietly through the woods.
or
- You walk past a hedge thinking "Could eat that, could eat that, nettles for cordage, brambles for autumn, hazel for staves, etc".

Cheers,
Steve

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
When all your clothes are green
When you can't go out without taking a brew kit
When you can start a fire just by staring at it. Oops sorry, day dreaming again:lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You know you're a bushcrafter when you can't resist checking out the stainless steel kitchen accessories when you go to a home store with the mrs.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
When you have just spent most of the weekend dressed in green with a knife, axe or laplander in your hand, had bannock for lunch and smell of woodsmoke.

PREPER.... :)

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
When you don't mind sleeping in a 15 year old ex army sleeping bag that has been stored in the the back of a scout hut and that some stinkin soiled soldier has been farting in.

No offence intended.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE