You’re no Ray Mears!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

I believe that the best way to learn bushcraft is to surround yourself with accomplished people who willingly and graciously share their knowledge.

But sociologists tell us it is human nature to compare ourselves with others in our peer group. So if we surround ourselves with experienced bushcrafters, our own skills may appear poor by comparison.

It is easy to become discouraged when learning bushcraft skills, especially when you are starting out. In recent months, I saw two people starting to learn bushcraft fall into the trap of comparing their skills to more experienced peers. Is this purely an American phenomenon?

When I carved my first wood spoon, I got very lucky. Without trying I created the WORLD’S UGLIEST hand-carved wood spoon:

bcfrm_FirstSpoon.jpg

Pictures don’t do it justice. It is ungainly, bulging, too thick in some places and too thin in others. At the time, I consigned it to my “Drawer of Bushcraft Mistakes No One Will Ever See.” :)

Now I love it and still use it as a serving spoon to this day. But it took several years to stop being embarrassed by my (many) mistakes.

Here is a link to my tips for beginning bushcrafters who might be insecure about their skills. The text is too long to be included in this post.

Link - You’re no Ray Mears, and Here’s Why!

Is this a uniquely American phenomenon?

Were you self-conscious when you were just starting out? If so, how did you overcome it?

What advice would you give to the beginners who became discouraged?

Regards,

- Woodsorrel

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im not sure, Ive never wanted to be like RM; I find him rather dull. (like your toy wolves.)

I want to be the person to be brave enough to try anything. First time yo know your going to do a poor job; thats what learnings about.

If we were scared why would we want to go to school?

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the feedback.

Tengu, you make an interesting point. I believe people earnestly want to be good at what they do. They also want to appear competent to their peer group. When they feel inadequate, for any reason, it creates stress. In the extreme, they become discouraged and give it up entirely.

You mention school. Have you seen people at school worried about their grades? About doing well on exams? Do they feel badly when they do poorly?

These same dynamics are in play when people begin to learn bushcraft, animal tracking, or any new endeavor. You are very fortunate to understand that failing is a part of learning. It took me many years to learn that.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Why yes they do, but they then go on to college, to Uni, to lifelong learning...

Think how I felt when I started college; only adult in a class of 16 year olds. (who did not mind at all, bless them.)

I have AS, The whole world is scary to me...Im surrounded by adults who treat me as a child. (sometimes I `need` treating like a child...) But I have to get out and do scary things...Otherwise Id do nothing...And Ive spent too much of my life doing just that.

Bushcraft, well, to me its about coping, about being self sufficient and getting on in life; we can all aspire to that, even if we have no smallholding. So many people are helpless. Im not any more.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
This thread could get deep! Confidence is something gained with time n expeiance.for some it comes earlier in life than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread could get deep! Confidence is something gained with time n expeiance.for some it comes earlier in life than others.

Haha! Hopefully it won't get too deep. :)

Alreetmiowdmuka, I agree with what you are saying about confidence. A question is how much confidence is needed by those just starting out? And how should we give it to them?

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
A question is how much confidence is needed by those just starting out? And how should we give it to them?

- Woodsorrel

Often, quite a lot. Offering advice/instruction without being patronising or getting upset when the newbie doesn't catch on right away.

From experience with apprentice carpenters & joiners the ones who are interested, listen. They do better for it and are more pleasant to work with, however it is still necessary to keep an eye on them and wander over and ask "how's it going?" rather than "ain't that done yet!" Respecting another's attempts at something is a huge help in the confidence stakes and encourages them to keep at it.

Rob.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Some really good points made so far and a really good article for reading, thanks.
I can relate to this when teaching uni students. From 16-19, they are all still very much impressionable and constantly compare themselves against others in the group and their peers especially within sports. I've noticed that those who are low in confidence always lack self esteem and 'fail' tasks before starting in their heads. Strangely, if you have a group who are all equally low in confidence and esteem, there will always be a 'pecking' order which again makes the person who has the lowest become even worse! It's really hard to make changes to this and I've only found one 'cure' and that's age. As they become older they become better at recognising their ability but again, in comparison to peers or colleagues.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Woodsorrell,
I really like the idea of comparing yourself to where you were six months ago - not to someone with a lifetime's experience. Its about seeking progress, not perfection.

I like to tell folks that bushcraft is not like learning to be a plasterer or a cabinet maker or an electrician. If you can use a saw and a knife safely and master one or two basic techniques and a couple of knots then there are a thousand bushcraft 'things' you can do. The rest is just a bit of practise.

Really good piece thanks for sharing,

T

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A very thoughtful and well-written article - thank you!

I started bushcraft 'late' (i.e. as an adult) whilst looking for an alternative to climbing and mountaineering which were slowly doing me in physically and which didn't sit too well with my obligations as a dad. I was absolutely mesmerized from the word go. On my first bushcraft weekend, run by Woodlore, Ray did show up, chatted with us all and demonstrated a few skills. I was impressed by the ease with which he did all these things but have never wanted 'to be Ray' as it were; my sole ambition has always been to get better.

There are certain things in the unofficial bushcraft curriculum that I find easier than others - I don't know whether that's just slightly greater intuitive skill or interest - and I find I return to those skill sets when I need to boost morale or want to smile more broadly; I spend as much time as I can on the skills that are weaker or wanting in the hope that I will not become Ray Mears but just a better bushcrafter.

If people ask for help (I spend my working life as a teacher, my leisure life as a freelance bushcraft leader...), then I will give what assistance I can. If I don't know something or struggle to do something, I will always admit as much and try to find out/improve for the next time. That is what is so satisfying about this hobby: you really do spend any available time learning.

To my mind, it is better than that previous hobby of mine in the vertical world. There, your standing was defined by the grade at which you climbed: to get better, you climbed harder. I think I reached a sort of physical barrier beyond which I couldn't progress. Not that I really wanted to - I was having a huge amount of fun enjoying what I did. But bushcraft is more readily accessed, uses both physical and intellectual attributes and still can take me to the mountains that I love.

I've gone way off topic here but I do agree with the article wholeheartedly and​ I have still got my first spoon too...!

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Great article, thanks for posting.

Working with Scouts and Explorers, I find that lots of encouragement helps. Most kids see their mistakes only too easily, so I always focus on what they've done that works - even if it requires a bit of imagination :rolleyes:

One of my teachers used to use the two ticks and a wish system when marking our work: two features praised and one thing we needed to think about next time. That can be a helpful way forward when trying to develop another's skills. However, if they're under confident just stick to lots of encouragement.

My 2d worth.

All the best.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Tiley's points are very well made, I think. The mix of effort, thought and (always developing) skill makes bushcraft a very comfortable hobby. There's enough climbing of greasy poles in life without having to fret about success and achievement in your pastime too. I think newcomers to the hobby enjoy that aspect of it. I also find that slightly manic kiddiewinks calm down and settle to tasks round a campfire more easily than they do in other locations.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
One of my teachers used to use the two ticks and a wish system when marking our work: two features praised and one thing we needed to think about next time. That can be a helpful way forward when trying to develop another's skills. However, if they're under confident just stick to lots of encouragement.

Now that, I really like. I'll keep this in mind when they're wrestling with fire, feather sticks or (Gulp!) their first 'spoons'!

I'm learning a lot from these comments. I appreciate the thoughts of Fraxinus, janso, Tom Gold, DocG , and Tiley.

DocG, I am definitely going to try the "two ticks and a wish" approach! I like the idea of praising two items before commenting on the area that needs improvement. It avoids a trap common among managers in corporations when they give performance reviews. They often praise, critique, and praise again (to make the person feel better emotionally). This mistake is often termed, "kiss, kick, kiss" and ends up distracting the person from the area they need to improve.

What I like about "two ticks and a wish" is that the person is feeling good when they hear the critique. Also, the number of good things they hear outnumbers the bad when they hear the critique. I am certainly going to try it!

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE