Yorkshire meetup ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It has been brought up in the past but nothing`s really developed since so maybe we should put our heads together and get something sorted.

As Spamel mentioned on an earlier thread today, there seems to be an ever growing number of members from the Leeds and Sheffield area so it`s about time we got ourselves organised. Obviously the meet will be open for anyone who wants to make the trip and not just for those from round here.

I suppose a good place to start would be to firstly gauge your interest on this thread, then suggest any spots we could use for regular meetups (don`t give away exact locations though) and we`ll take it from there.

I`ll start us off then ...

My current permission would be ideal offering 40 acres of mainly pine and mixed broadleaf woodland. There are some nice birch, mature beech, oak and sycamore to name a few. There is running water on site, a stockpile of firewood and ample car parking.

I have asked the owners there views on a possible group meet and they are supposed to be getting back to me. I think one of their main gripes was insurance and liability etc but surely there are ways around that. I`ve not pushed them for a decision yet as I wouldn`t want to jepordise what I`ve already got. My initial thoughts were though that they took it quite well and seemed interested in what we get up to.

I think I`m having a night out here Saturday 2nd Feb if anyone wants to join me round the fire.

PM for details.

Rich

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
I tried to set up a meet, and failed, totally my fault as I couldn't commit the time to setting it up, but always willing to tag along and now I have a cheaper to run car I may be able to get to more of them lol.

as for location, can't really suggest anywhere,where I tend to go you can only get 1 or 2(max 3) people to camp so I'm not much use there either lol

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was looking at Silverwood, but cannot find out who it belongs to. besides, it is open to the public so dog crap is the order of the day, and necky kids that could do with a thick ear!

I would really like to find a decent place though, it's just finding somewhere. We really do need to sort something out. Can't have them lot across the county border having two good places and we haven't even got one! :rolleyes:

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
I'm up for some local mini-meets/meets - unfortunately, being wet-behind-the-ears at this sort of thing, I don't know anywhere well enough to organise anything, yet..
Happy to help where I can though...

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Our weekend commitment tends to be quite high with running courses, Robin going out to events, and stuff the kids do, but if we're free we'll come out at least for a day visit. We usually travel with some carving wood and a few spare tools ... :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
From the website this looks like a promising site. Anyone got any good Scout connections to pave the way?

It looks like there's canoeing potential nearby too...

Rat

Okay so you`ve guessed where my permission is then ... :rolleyes:

I`ve got a good relationship with the scout group and landowner of the rest of the estate, like I said previously I`ve asked them about a group meet and they`re getting back to me.

I`ve usually gone up there solo but once or twice a couple of mates have tagged along and we`ve never had any hassle. I can probably sneak a few in (6 - 8 `ish) but any large number would risk me losing my permission at this moment in time until I`ve had confirmation.

PM if you`re up for it

Rich

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Rich, get permission first. Although it sounds like a tempting offer, I wouldn't want you to lose your permission altogether. How about saying that we could do a bit of clearing up for them whilst on site?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah you`re probably right. It took me long enough to find a perm to start with so it would be daft to ruin it. I might just drop the scout group a quick email though to see how things are progressing

Don`t PM me anyone, you`re not coming

Get off my land !

Rich

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just dropped the scout group a quick email to see how things are going.

I didn`t realise but it`s just over a month since I last spoke with them. Hopefully I should get an answer for us over the next couple of days.

Rich

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Just dropped the scout group a quick email to see how things are going.

I didn`t realise but it`s just over a month since I last spoke with them. Hopefully I should get an answer for us over the next couple of days.

Rich

Splendid. Good show.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Just like to register my interest if I may?

Gotta keep the wests numbers up so those unruly southerners don't cause too much hoolabaloo! (you know who you are *cough* spam *cough* ratty *cough*)

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Just like to register my interest if I may?

Gotta keep the wests numbers up so those unruly southerners don't cause too much hoolabaloo! (you know who you are *cough* spam *cough* ratty *cough*)

There's only two sorts of people in t'world:

1) Them that's from South Yorkshire; and
2) Them that wishes they were from South Yorkshire.

You could always move over the border Scruff - you'd be eligible as an honourary Southie in about 10 years...

Rrrrrrrrat!

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
There's only two sorts of people in t'world:

1) Them that's from South Yorkshire; and
2) Them that wishes they were from South Yorkshire.

You could always move over the border Scruff - you'd be eligible as an honourary Southie in about 10 years...

Rrrrrrrrat!

*ahem*

Just to remind everyone that North Yorkshire is the heart of the county - everywhere else is kinda peripheral... :D

(p.s. I'm an honourary Northie - been here nearly 11 years now ;))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE