Wounded In Ration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Just back from dentist after having a filling replaced and a quick heads up for anybody with a Polish MRE or similar. The "Panzer Cracker" biscuit/hardtack is as tough as claimed! Should come with instructions to soak well overnight then strike repeatedly with a rifle butt before attempting to consume.:aarghh:

I was lucky in that the afflicted back molar was already dead beforehand so dodged the whole exposed nerve and spitting blood thing. However it still took two days before a dentist would see me so it got me thinking if I should now include a temporary dental filler in my home medical kit?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ouch!

Yep, temporary dental filler and oil of cloves is always in my FAK just in case. Waiting times around here can be weeks unless you're prepared to sit all day hoping for a slot between appointments.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Do not waste your money. If you chip a tooth, and it does not hurt, you will be fine for a few days. For the temp filling to stay, you really need to dry the tooth well, which you can not do yourself easily.
Also you can push the material into a gum pocket - abscess.
Plus, if you leave food in the 'hole' it can damage the nerve.

Plus 2 , when we remove those patient inserted temps, it usually smells horribly. Not so nice to work on, to be frank.

If you fracture a tooth and the pulp gets exposed, it is better to leave exposed so it can bleed/drain. Obturating this ( wet, possibly with food) can cause a quick necrosis, internal abscess and huge pain.

If the fracture goes deep and the fragment is still attached to the bone or gum, if you try to put a temp there, you can in fact push it into the bone. Not the best thing to do.

Yes, it hurts if you touch an exposed nerve. Chew on the other side.

Reactions: MrEd

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We've had this discussion before Janne - needs must :)

I do agree though, the cavity must be clean, disinfected, and dry - but, if you're in the middle of nowhere it's better than nothing.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes we had :) !
I see tourists doing this weekly. They come here, go to a restaurant and eat food they normally do not. Conch fritters ( possible shell pieces) Lobster ( shell pieces), Curried Goat, Chicken and Pork Jerk ( bone splinters) and similar.
They usually call about 4 days later with either bad pain from an inflamed nerve, or bad pain from a nice juicy abscess.

It is excellent to use Oil of Cloves if you can get the tooth dry and the nerve is inflamed. Us pro's use that still....

Maybe a good idea to practice this at home? Getting an area in the moth dry?
Not a crazy idea, we practice doing other 1st Aid moments.
Splint ourselves, stopping bleeding, bandaging,

At least hope you guys do that?

An own inserted temp fill is good if the tooth has razor sharp edges. Those can be impossible to smooth off yourselves in the field.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
1: My glasses have gold rims.
2: I have a face mask on, so the poor souls do not see my grin.
3: I have a larger watch, 46mm in diameter, so I scratch the left side of the patients face (badly) when ( not if) they flinch from the pain I cause them.
4: No tie, do not want to give the victim - sorry, 'patient' - the opportunity to strangle me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE