Wouldn't it be nice ... ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Wouldn't it be nice ...

... to be sitting round a campfire right now.

... to be camping on a moutaintop

... to be back in the silence of all that snow we had a few weeks back

(Add yours to the ultimate bushcraft wishing list!)

:lol:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Just off the harbour of Kodiak Alaska is a small island called Woody. I was only there a few times during my enlistment in the 70's. It is covered in Spruce trees, with a thick carpet of mosses, soft grasses and other native plants. There was a small church facility and an abandoned naval communication station. You could walk the perimeter in an easy hour on a well worn footpath. On the far side to seaward the trail vanished with a short, 6' drop to an eroding beach. There was a naturally eroded freestanding arch with 3 Spruces growing on the top and a half buried, massive net float from a Russian trawler. I sat there one day and saw whales pass by in migration down to my home in California. An American Bald Eagle flew in and perched in the tree. At sunset, I watched my first display of the Northern Lights. We returned at night in company with fishing boats returning from days at sea, thankfull both for a good catch and just being alive, it being just about the most dangerous profession in the USA. We gathered in a restaurant that seemed to suck in the very fog from outside as huge platters of steaming King Crab and massive steaks were consumed with fresh baked sourdough bread and massive mugs of hot buttered rums. I actually walked the considerable distance back to base, convinced a huge Kodiak bear was behind every tree and palming the butt of my Puukko while stopping every 10 minutes to scent mark my passing with a rum enriched stream of urine. I crawled into my bunk, with the famous portrait of jack London in his leather sailor's jacket smiling down.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Just outside the town of Wainwright in Alberta Canada is a range of mountain's which are Alpine in shape and feel (its were the canadians trained for Korea). Here I saw my first ever wild wolf, beaver, moose and Bear - all magical moments which left me feeling humbled and blessed much like the first european to explore American must have felt.

It has a deep chocolate brown river dissecting its plateau, vast stretches of woodland in its valleys and nobody around for mile and bliss filled miles.

Thats where I wish I could be. Alone, left in peace, free of all the modern worlds stress and strain.

Could happily see out my days there. Only visited there a few times whilst in the army and I didn't really appreciate what I had at the time. Just as youth is wasted on the young such experiences are wasted on the blind!

Oh well ........ one day...............

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
My german is almost as bad as my english :lol: , but there is a german word, Weltsmersch <sp> which means a deep heartfelt longing for a place we haven't even been to. I get that, everytime i travel past uncounted places I cannot visit in this lifetime alone. :-(

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just spent the weekend staying in Tipi's in South Wales.....Fantastic time!!

Did a couple of friction fire demo's, make a load of nettle soup and hawthorn salad for the very dubious looking group (until they tasted it!!). and generally had a great time. Here's a pic of me praying to the great spirits.....

images.php

The spirits being Vodka and Southern Comfort :-D

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Twelve years ago, the older Scouts in our Troop decided it would be nice to canoe between Fish Lake and the Ottowa River in Ontario. Tough, tough route! But one night in early June was spent on an island so covered with blooming orchids that the problem was finding tent sites. All these years later, when I encounter those who were there, they always mention that night on that island. Magic.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
To be sitting under the shade of a large tree of the banks of the orange river, Namibia, drinking ice cold water and eating biltong! Enjoying the relief of taking off your rucksack.

Happy days.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Back in 1997, in mid June up in Oban on the west coast of Scotland. I'd been backpacking around for the previous 6 days with a kiwi mate (Matt, who I didn't know 7 days previously). We looked on the map and discovered a runined castle about a mile to the north of the town and went to investigate; and once there we also found a path down to the sea and some really great rocks. Now I don't consider myself on holiday unless I have a chance to scramble over some rocks of some sort...

We nipped back into town to get some beer and steaks, and the sauntered along with our cameras, because we estimated that it would be a great place to watch the sun go down. We wern't dissapointed - it was spectacular.

I remember just sitting on the rocks, with golden light fading from the sky from the sun setting over the islands; and us both saying "it doesn't matter how good the pictures come out, they'll never be as good as the remembering being right here, right now" - and we were right.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Being on top of Helvellyn in the early ours of the morning as the haze is beginning to clear, with a small fire heating a morning brew..... Heres to next year when I'm hopefully moving to the lakes...

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
"Heres to next year when I'm hopefully moving to the lakes..."

We share a dream! Now to make it a reality :-D :-D

Dave - just got back from 4 days around Ambleside :-D

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
if we are talking about the place i most wish to be

There is a desert in southern Saudi Arabia where a grew up called Rub Al-Khali that borders the U.A.E, Oman and Yemen. It is a sand sea larger than France and there is nothing there, it is one of the most desolate places on earth and in my opinion one of the most beautiful

sitting on the top of a dune here with nothing but a featureless rolling sand sea all the way out to a 360 degree horizon where the white sand meets a crystal blue cloudless sky, deafened by complete silence. it is the most humbling experience that as has been said many times before, its no wonder that so many of the worlds religions started here

Rub Al-Khali roughly translates into "The place where there is nothing"

there is literally nothing, you can close your eyes turn around and when you open them you are utterly disorientated every direction looks the same and there are no features to concentrate on and no sound but the wind, the effect is utterly surreal

sitting in silence you can watch the wind blown sand snake up to dunes and roll off the peaks and the sun sets/ sun rise are like no where else on earth not to mention the perfectly clear nights sky with more stars than you could ever imagine possible

this is a picture of the edge of Rub Al-Khali in the united Arab emirates

UAE%20desert.JPG

if we are talking amazing moments:

this one was good
veiw.JPG

and this was pretty amazing
P1010017.jpg

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
"Heres to next year when I'm hopefully moving to the lakes..."

We share a dream! Now to make it a reality

Dave - just got back from 4 days around Ambleside

Yup if things go as planned, I'll be moving up there next year to start a PGCE in teaching for a year... then as a teacher it'll be 6 weeks holiday each summer in my favourite part of the county :-D

Fantastic Pics Stu, where do you host yours to link them to this site?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
mine would have to be when i was meant to be doing the D of E but one lad couldn't come i added his share of the tent to my pack we went off with no pressure to do the full route. while wondering how to pass the evening some girls asked if we wanted to play cards. a very good weekend with no pressure just mates and rather nice grub and me making whistles from yarrow. the girls though we were mad doing it when we didn't have to but a good time was had by all.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
For a couple of hours me and my girlfriend mad camp down there and then had this valley are by ourself except a herd of reindeers that stopped by. The river that runs in the background has such clean water that you can drink it directly. A really beatiful place, with lots of good memories, but at the same time I love all the small places I have here at home just a couple of minutes away...

Link to the picture

Mar 2, 2004
wouldnt it be nice to make enough money in a day to last a week so you could go off and ramble in the woods and forrests?
yes it would , lol and it is.
so off to the woods then it is to chop chop chop with my new axe.its soooo salubrious :-D
hey pebble is that the shimna in newcastle then?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE