World Scout Jamboree 2007

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Over the past few days I've been based on a Woodland Trust site, where scouts from the jamboree were bused out to us, to learn a variety of practical skills.

P1030781.jpg

The first was charcoal burning

Charcoalburning.jpg

and after learning to make charcoal, each scout drew a charcoal picture

P1030779.jpg

P1030780.jpg

They were also given the opportunity to try "bodging" and used both shaving horses and pole lathes. A significant number of scouts were able to make rounders bats.

P1030783.jpg

This bow-lathe proved very popular (especially with me;) ) and it's something I now intend to make myself.

P1030773.jpg

I taught firelighting without matches or lighter

P1030954.jpg

The condom method proved to be the most popular

P1030902.jpg

and some basic shelter building

P1030777.jpg

During the course of the 5 days we taught over 500 scouts from all over the world and I can honestly say that it was a pleasure and privilege to work with them all.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Looks like you had a fantastic time mate though we could have done with your help at the Moot as well. Missed competing with you to see how many students we each could help with getting a coal. Maybe next time mate?

Looks like I am being drafted into helping a local Scout group in October with teaching them the bowdrill.

Have to try and make one of these pole lathes though.

Cheers

George

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Brilliant Kevin. Nice pics.

George only escaped from bow drill teaching to help me with atlatl throwing. He was a busy lad!

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
My son was at the Jamboree,after the main Jamboree finished the Cornish contingent travelled over to Sweden for a further week.He arrives back at 3am tomorrow morning,so when hes in a fit state to talk a bit I'll show him this and see if he had a go.

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
He did'nt get to have a go with you but I did see one of the Cornish boys with a nicely carved spoon.Nice job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE