World Map : Map Image

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is that map

• Too big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just right

• I have a better one i think: post below

• Total voters

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
ok looked at it again today... made a little progress...
I'm thinking of using this map.. it's a bit big.. though, does it need to be ?

I mean we're not going to be able to really use the "members within certain distance" feature on it..

At the moment we only really have 15 people outside the UK, most of them are in Europe (Sweden / Norway / France) , and that's very small on a world map..

Edit: from Jake's point
This will be the first map.. the existing UK map will stay as is.. with more detail.
People will click on the UK and it will jump to that UK specific map.

( sorry, i thought everyone followed what the deal was from the other thread )

Anyway, have a look and see what you think.
If you think you have a better map that will fit the style of the existing map then post it below ( don't worry about sepia colour, that can be changed )

http://www.mrbridger.co.uk/map/world1.gif

Cheers
Carlo

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
:biggthump Cool... I love maps of the world because most of them are from fairly old cartography and that makes the UK about the same size as France... brilliant

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Its a bit big for seeing where people from the UK live...But its a great idea for people worldwide :D

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
know what... only just noticed that ..
wow, nice bit of info mate

If everyone who in interested in the World Map, gets something on here, that woul dbe good... after the map image is decided then i'll go ahead and fiddle with it...
ONCE it has been chosen and lots of people start adding correct points to it, it will NOT be changed!

choose wisely ;)

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Squidders said:
When are you going to close the hot lines and go for it then?

Well going to leaee it up for a little while.. few days or so..
Want to get as many reasonable opinions as possible... but not going to leave it open for weeks and weeks.
When i start wanting to do something and start making progress, i want it done and finished as soon as possible. work better doing one nighters than a whole week sometimes. :(

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
are the points going to be the same size as they are on the uk map?

because if they are there isnt going to be much room for anyone other then TheViking in Denmark or Windchaser in Latvia..?

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
good point tomtom.... could make them a bit smaller i guess.. only thing is if they get too small then they'll be quite hard to click on... hmmm

Perhaps it should be a Europe map then?

or..... does it need to be.. a world map, which has a seperate zoomed one for europe, which then has a UK one ?
(I don't really want to have 3 versions in this though)

getting complicated again

Edit:
just found this one.. this is good way to do it... bit OTT though.. hmm!
http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?act=membermap

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
that what was suggested above.. its just that some countrys are so small on the map it would not be possible to plot more than one member there.. and BCUK is still gaining members daily.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
It's worth bearing in mind that in Internet Explorer the image will be resized by default. You will need to explain this to users on smaller resolutions than the map size that they will need to click the
resize.gif
button to see the image full size.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
good point Kath, I forgot to mention that.
but even with that i think tomtom is right about the Denmark / Size probs etc

Anyone check out that other member map link?
Good stuff that one! hard tho, it creates the whole map image on the fly (can;t do that) but the continent thing is quite good.. pain to implement tho

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE