woodland work party

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
My Charcoal man is coming to do a bit of work for me later this month and while he is here, we thought it might be good to get some people together and get some stuff done :)

'Black' Alex has a charcoal making course at my place on saturday 29th May, so the week before is when anybody who wants can come and help out.

I've got a bunch of things to do during the week, mostly manual labour I'm afraid but I'm sure it'll be fun and who knows some may even find it educational! Here is a selection of what we'll be up to:

- running a charcoal burn (7 foot kiln) in preparation for the course (so there is one to be emptied on saturday).
- gathering and cutting firewood
- clearing up deadwood in the camping area
- setting up my shiny new parachutes
- rebuilding shave horses and other woodworking tools
- building a new compost toilet
If anybody happens to have chainsawing skills of the tree climbing variety then I have a couple of projects there too

there are other things that we may have on the cards, depending on the time and cash i have before the week (things that require materials bringing in).

We'll be staying out in the woods I expect, so helpers can camp with us if they like. You are welcome for a day, two days, the whole week if you like! :D Like I say, there is loads to do and many hands makes light work. At least this time, unlike my workshop building weekend, muppets aren't running the show! :BlueTeamE

so if you have some time free between the 24th and 30th of may, let me know and I can send you directions :) As long as we stay away from the course that is being run on the weekend, then we may as well use that time as well ;)

cheers folks

Then we can have a little drinky social on saturday night?

Last edited:

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
I finish nights on the morning of tues 25th. So after a sleep I could manage a day or two, wife dependant though! She's the one that will have to look after the dog and they don't get on!

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
The dog's known as DLD. Daddies Little Darling/Devil, she's a working dog, kennelled, doesn't even come near the house, but they hate each other.
I think they're vying to be the Alpha bitch:cool:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
if you weren't in dartmoor i'd happily head over, unfortunatly i'm a few hundred miles away :D
charcoal burning is fun :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
if you weren't in dartmoor i'd happily head over, unfortunatly i'm a few hundred miles away :D
charcoal burning is fun :D

I was thinking the same, sounds like it could be a good crack but you're so far away Dave.

Hope you get a good turn out

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Glad some of you are able to come along :)

The list of things to do is very flexible depending on what skills folk have and what the weather is doing :eek:

If, nearer the time, people can say on here which day(s) they are able to make, then I can organise some jobs for the days with the most help ;)

Also, I've just edited my original post with extra time :) Basically i figure that as long as we stay away from Alex's course on the saturday, then we may as well use the time. Hopefully some folk will be more able to make the saturday ;)

Then we can have a little drinky social on saturday night?

Will be great to see you all again goodjob

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Sorry Dave out of the country else would have come down to see you and Al and chip in
Hope you have a good and productive weekend

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I've got a mate wants to come along and help out if it's alright? Outdoors type, level-headed, knows his way around a knife and gun, and is a good bloke. I can vouch for him.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Matt, your mate is welcome to join us but there won't be any need for his gun ;)

Steve, come and join the fun! Though will will need to borrow a billhook (I have several) as yours won't be done by then I'm afraid (I'm just starting my orders from march last year!)

And those of you who live a long way away. Have you not heard of a holiday or weekend away? :D :p

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I would LOVE to come along and help. I've even tried posting in woodland owner groups to offer my labour and time to help in managing their woodlands. I a lot of hand tools and a little knowledge. I like to think I'm a hard worker and that I'd make a good labourer, even if only for a day or two before the effects of years at a desk start to slow me down.

BUT, it's my birthday on the 1st, so my family will want to be with me that weekend. As much as they would like to see me happy - if they knew about this they'd suggest I go (maybe they just want rid of me? ;) ) I think I ought to be with them that weekend.

But if you ever want a helper some other time, please PM me and I'll try free myself. Typically weekends only.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE