Woodland Ways Weekender

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
For my birthday last year I received a voucher for a weekend long Woodland Ways Bushcraft course. I've just landed home from a weekend down in Derbyshire attending the course so I thought i'd share a few words/pics which will hopefully interest a few of you.

Before getting in to the pics etc I'd just like to say that I had a fantastic weekend. The instructors were great, very knowledgable and always on hand to answer any questions etc. You could really see that they're passionate about what they do and this really helped make the weekend as good as it was.

The course I attended ran from Fri eve to mid day Sun, the web site describes the course as 'An ideal starting course for the beginner and for those who wish to try their hand at something different. It is also relevant for those who have an outline understanding of the concept and techniques of Bushcraft & Survival but wish to practice their techniques' and i'd say this is a spot on description.

Wanting to miss the Friday rush hour traffic I arrived down there early andhad a rather ropey sandwich in a nearby pub before heading to the woodland venue.

After some quick introductions etc we took a short wander up to the woods. The fire was already going and the kettle boiling so we all had a brew whilst sat listening to the introductions etc, these included being given a Bahco and a Mora and the necessary info to go with them as well and what to expect from the weekend. After this we were all given a tarp and some instructions re how/where to set them up and off we went to set up for the night.

My bed for the first night:

IMG_1235_zps492511d4.jpg

After we'd set up our tarps it was time to prepare some tea, Pigeon was on the menu for the first night. One of our instructors took us through how to prep them etc, I have to admit I sat this and the Rabbit prep session out, it was really interesting to see it done but it's just really not my thing... I know!

IMG_1205_zpsa8155972.jpg

IMG_1213_zps41ca60a1.jpg

IMG_1222_zpsc2d97040.jpg

Anyway... with that all done it was back to the fire and on went our tea...

IMG_1225_zps67a22399.jpg

It's the first time I've eaten pigeon and I have to admit it wasn't too bad, I think the other stuff in there with it (esp the ginger) helped a lot but the flavour was pretty good. After this we were left to it for the evening so we all sat around the fire chatting and getting to know each other a little before retiring for the evening.

IMG_1188_zps77e73c3d.jpg

I slept pretty well the first night, I think the four days in the Lakes beforehand probably helped (trip report to follow!) as I was pretty tired but the tarp kept me dry and I was was plenty warm in my ME bag.

I wasn't the first to rise on the Saturday so by the time I made it to the parachute the fire was already going once more and the kettle rather conveniently just boiled :)

IMG_1243_zpsb6725333.jpg

After some breakfast we were given a bit of a talk about shelter building before being set free in the woods to make our own to use that night if we wanted. After taking a while to find the right spot and the three main supports I cracked on and this is what I came up with:

IMG_1264_zpsf6368974.jpg

IMG_1268_zps74fcd7c4.jpg

After the shelters were up it was on to lunch, Trout to be exact.

IMG_1270_zpsfe54dfcf.jpg

Again we were taken through how to prep them etc and these were cooked over the fire, very tasty they were too.

IMG_1286_zps268e0709.jpg

After lunch we had a bit of a bimble through the woods and a foraging related talk/show/tell.

IMG_1305_zps7fb32d16.jpg

This was followed by a great after noon session all about fire, starting with the very basics and going through the many different methods of how to get one going before being allowed a good play with everything ourselves.

Untitled-2_zps601b66d2.jpg

After this it was on to our evening meal, rabbit. I've not eaten rabbit before and have to admit I wasn't a big fan. The meat seemed a little tough and wasn't particularly flavoursome for me, but again it was great to see how to prepare and cook them from scratch.

IMG_1328_zps4c489522.jpg

On the Saturday night we had a good long talk re sharps, inc the different types, styles, grinds, as well as a look through plenty of different knives the instructors had brought with them. I'm conscious this write up is starting to get a bit long winded so i'll try keep it short from here on in...

I had another good nights sleep, this time in my shelter but woke early, the rain had stopped so I decided to get up straight away and head over to themain camp. Being first up I got the fire going again and the kettleon and I even got to see a little bit of a sunrise :)

IMG_1340_zpsc5c5f822.jpg

Damper bread for breakfast which was very nice.

IMG_1345_zps5429428c.jpg

This was followed by a really good session re trapping. Martin took this one and you could clearly see it was something he loved and had great experience/practice of.

IMG_1354_zpsd3d36682.jpg

IMG_1355_zps71d37e3d.jpg

This pretty much concluded the weekend. The weather was crap all weekend but I managed to stay pretty much dry, in a way I think the rain kind of added to the weekend... or is that just one of those things people say when they've been somewhere and it's rained the whole time?!

I've probably missed quite a lot out but all in all it was a cracking weekend and i'd highly recommend Woodland Ways to anyone, the instructors were great and made time for everyone on the course. They do all kinds of courses for all different abilities and you can just tell the instructors love what they do. We had Martin and Matt as our instructors, I think Matt is on a kind of apprentice type scheme with Woodland Ways but you'd never know he wasn't one of their full time instructors.

I guess I should probably leave it a that as this is already far longer than I intended it to be, plus I need to get some sleep as I'm heading out for a couple more nights under the Trailstar tomorrow. Apologies if this has ended up a bit pic/word heavy, I'm still going through the photo's and to be honest could have added plenty more!

Hope this has been of some interest!

Matt

A few more:

IMG_1244_zps4f4864da.jpg

IMG_1335_zpse63eafbc.jpg

IMG_1233_zpsa99ac8e2.jpg

IMG_1344_zpsd4d215eb.jpg

IMG_1357_zps4137b89b.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very good :D sounds that you had a really good weekend, despite the weather.
Thank you for the photos and the report :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Great post many thanks for sharing and for my part this kind of thing never gets boring or long winded so you don't have to worry about that. I am going for the two year Woodland ways course starting 2014 so will no doubt be posting some similar stuff then. Glad you enjoyed it despite the rain.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Many thanks for all the replies, glad the above wasn't too waffley for you all!

Great post many thanks for sharing and for my part this kind of thing never gets boring or long winded so you don't have to worry about that. I am going for the two year Woodland ways course starting 2014 so will no doubt be posting some similar stuff then. Glad you enjoyed it despite the rain.

2 years?!

Looks good Matt! Excellent bivvy bag in the first shot and happy 50th for last year :)

Yes yes, thanks for lending me your bivy! my sleeping bag might not have survived without it. 50?! Cheeky git ;-)

Great write up. My Wife got me the same weekend for my birthday so I'm hoping to go this year at some point.

Cheers :)

I'm sure you'll have a great time, which venue are you going to head to?

Matt

A couple more pics:

IMG_1302_zpsc9626d5e.jpg

IMG_1300_zps67e3ab01.jpg

IMG_1230_zps2d30a651.jpg

IMG_1290_zpsbdf4528c.jpg

Last edited:

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
17 weekend courses plus 3x1 day courses... Blimey!

What's the plan for after you've completed it?

Matt

Appologies to OP for brief thread hijack.

Well the plan is to escape from a stressfull job eventually or at least to gain knowledge in a field I find I am at home in. I have been carefully paying attention to the Bushcraft Instructor thread and appreciate that I may not immediatly fall into an alternative career but at least I will have something I love to have a damn good go at. My boy is developing business ideas during his Uni business degree and one of his mates has just come out of the RM commandos and they have a view of starting up a training company which I will possibly be looking to work with.

Fingers crossed.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
No worries for the hijack, i asked!

That sounds like a great plan, i'm sure you'll enjoy the Woodland Ways courses and best of luck with everything, hope it all works out for you :)

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE