Woodland patio set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Great job! Those chunky benches look like they could take the weight of a small elephant, or perhaps, more likely, several fat people.

66jj99

Dec 22, 2011
Bristol
Cheers everybody.

I'd like to gauge desire for a three-legged stool making class at the Moot. Do people think that would go down well?

We'll go through tool and timber selection, greenwood construction and fundamental carving techniques.

Hopefully enough fun to encourage our next generation of bodgers!

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
Cheers everybody.

I'd like to gauge desire for a three-legged stool making class at the Moot. Do people think that would go down well?

We'll go through tool and timber selection, greenwood construction and fundamental carving techniques.

Hopefully enough fun to encourage our next generation of bodgers!
Hi there 66jj99,

Have a chat with Tony, unless you already have done.
I know one was run a few years back by Wayne, and I think there was a good few takers.

Ian

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Brilliant, I’ve made a few legged items myself and it’s most satisfying.
I do need a larger auger for the leg sockets though....what size do you use or recommend?

66jj99

Dec 22, 2011
Bristol
Sure, happy to Sir.

These are done with a 1,1/4 inch bit. Probably about the biggest easily findable size for a brace.

The traditional option is to pre-make legs and season them so they get clamped in when the seat drys.

For spontaneous conctructions I drill nice and deep (about 3 inches if the material will allow it).

If you can taper the tennon slightly but leave a little space in the end of that mortice when it's tapped in, then as things dry the leg can slip deeper into it's home. Does that makes sense?

-If the seat needs to be much less chunky then it's a good time to think about drilling right through the piece and securing the tennon with a hardwood wedge. -A nice progession if you've not yet tried it.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
All makes great sense thank you, I have some radially split pieces of yew I have been planning to make seats from, and you’ve encouraged me to get my act together!
Thanks again

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE