Woodland night visitor -What is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire

The quality suffers from uploading but it is still very obscure. at the start of the video there is a creature at the base of the tree. I estimate it's size to be about 35cm body length based on the tree dimensions. any ideas on what it is?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmmm… very hard to tell. That would be a typical size for a Stoat (30 to 40cm). A Polecat is 35 to 45 cm (white tips to the ears but rounded) and a Pinemarten (you wish :)) is nearer 46cm.

I'm having such poor results capturing the Mustelidae (well, the smaller ones) on my cameras that I'm considering trying some mammal traps.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Mmmm… very hard to tell. That would be a typical size for a Stoat (30 to 40cm). A Polecat is 35 to 45 cm (white tips to the ears but rounded) and a Pinemarten (you wish :)) is nearer 46cm.

I'm having such poor results capturing the Mustelidae (well, the smaller ones) on my cameras that I'm considering trying some mammal traps.
I am going to set the camera at ground level on the tree where it was filmed to try to capture a better video. The little devil was right on the egde of the i.r range.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It seems to have paler ears but not an obvious white front so perhaps a polecat or even pine martin. The IR light might be playing tricks on me though and perhaps it's just shiny fir and it's a cat.

Do you have otters about at all?

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
It seems to have paler ears but not an obvious white front so perhaps a polecat or even pine martin. The IR light might be playing tricks on me though and perhaps it's just shiny fir and it's a cat.

Do you have otters about at all?
No water for miles, nor any habitation so I don't think it's a cat. Hopefully I can get a better video soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE