Woodcarving - First Attempt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jackal 211

Jan 10, 2010
Gloucester
spoon1.jpg

Hey folks, received a new crook knife from ben orford yesterday and had a go at making a small spoon. What do you guys reckon for a first attempt. Feedback, pointers greatfully received. Does anyone have any idea what wood this could be and also i've heard of people putting some kind of oil on them. Is this right and if so what type is best to use. What utensil should i attempt next?

Regards

Steve

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Awesome first attempt :D
Yeah, I soaked/submerged mine in a bread tin full of vegetable oil for 2 days to seal it.
Practice, practice, practice - get inspiration from here; more spoons, ladles, spatula's...did I say spoons?

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
very nice for a first go, much better than my first one :)

as for what wood it would be, its almost impossible to tell just by looking at that picture, many woods look alike. but with a bit more information i might be able to ID it. did you get the wood as premilled timber or as a log/branch? if its from a log/branch was it green (stil fresh enough to have "tree juice" in it) or seasoned (dried out with age)?

TJ

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Lovely, I find I tend to concentrate to much on one spot such as where the handle meets the bowl, did you make the bowl long on purpose or did it just emerge that way, I am currently trying to concentrate on round bowls on spoons, as for next try a bowl to eat from with the spoon, just finished a brekkie bowl and use it every day, sense of satisfaction!

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Really good Jackal. The next step is to try and get a curve into it or at least an angle between bowl and shaft.

For another challenge finish one without using sandpaper.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good work Steve.
Try making a spoon for tea, eating, serving ect and develop different handles shapes ect.
Spatula in our kitchen gets used each day, and Kuksas are nice to make.
Bowls and plates one day :)

Jackal 211

Jan 10, 2010
Gloucester
Thanks for the feedback guys. It wasn't my intention to make the bowl of the spoon long, just ended up that way. Bowl and Spatula next I think. Should i seal it with veggie oil as suggested or use something else if i'm gonna be eating with it? I think the wood came from a bag of logs bought from a garage a few years back that had been sat in the shed. Perhaps i'll never know what type of wood it is.

Steve

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi, very good first effort. You say you plan a spatula and bowl next. A spatula will be a good little project, but a bowl is a totally different affair. To make a bowl, the wood may be ten years old or more (to get the size), and the heart wood in the centre will be very hard indeed. You may find that your crook knife is totally ineffective for making a bowl, if you use the same technique as you did on the spoon.

I just finished a ladle this weekend, and to core out the bowl, I needed to burn the bowl out bit by bit with charred wood from the fire, then use the crook knife on the charred bowl section.

For little spoons like yours, I tend to use hazel or lime wood. Lime wood is preferable as it is easy to carve and contains natural antiseptics so needs no sealing which could leave a nasty taste to some foods.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
A spatula will be a good little project, but a bowl is a totally different affair. To make a bowl, the wood may be ten years old or more (to get the size), and the heart wood in the centre will be very hard indeed. You may find that your crook knife is totally ineffective for making a bowl, if you use the same technique as you did on the spoon.

im sorry but i have to disagree with you there, a bowl is easily accomplishable with a crook knife and you can use just about any wood to do it (although green is easier). here's a handy tutorial: http://www.bushcraft.ridgeonnet.com/dish tutorial.htm

best of luck with your bowl steve, i'd reccomend you try and hit up your local tree surgeon for some fresh birch or willow :)

TJ

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work! good luck with your next projects, as for oil flax seed oil is good to use, which is food safe linseed oil, not the stuff from the DIY stores.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
finished with a spoon knife and paper, the carving took about three days a couple of hours in each, with gaps between for drying once after removing the bark, after carving the bowl and after boiling in salt water then sanding, decent sized brekie bowl nice and simple,

IMGP1413.jpg

IMGP1414.jpg

IMGP1415.jpg

The wood came from a local RAF Base where the're clearing the fence line for better security, just have a poke your local to find the supplies,

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE