wood for bow stave question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Someone on some forum had asked me about whether the roots from this plant were used for bow staves. I apologize as I do not remember who asked me that, and when I did a search of posts in various forums, I couldn't find it.

Here is a picture of the roots.

It is called Hala in Hawaii and is part of the pandanus family. Here is more information on it.

http://www2.bishopmuseum.org/ethnobotanydb/resultsdetailed.asp?search=hala

The fruit.

The plant.

I did not find mention of the roots or plants being used in bow construction, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be. Sorry it isn't much help. Please let me know if you had asked the question. I think it was "archer" or "thearcher" of the top of my head.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Hanzo,it was me that asked about it,thanks for remembering and doing a bit of research on the plant. I,ve seen Ray Mears using the Pandanus for food and various uses,a good allie to have when going walkabout,again thanks for taking the time mate and the photos.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Aloha Stuart to letting me know it was you. I could only remember a bow in the avatar. It was driving me nuts. I told myself the next time I went back, I would find out more and post. Not having taken any gingko or geritol, I couldn't remember where to post or to who. Thanks for solving my mystery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE