wolves in the mendips.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
we went away, chillaxin' in the woods, just a puppy and me. a hammock and tarp camp, a small fire and a billy can.

this 'ere be the spaniador puppy.
05092009190.jpg

the puppy dozing in the hammock lazily gazing at the fire.
05092009191.jpg

so there i was fast asleep in a hammock in some faraway woods in somerset shire. i woke at half 6 saturday morning, the puppy was having a growl and a bark at something. i looked with dificulty at the deer stood by the head end of my hammock. that's unusual, i thought to myself. deer don't normally stand around looking down at puppies who're bouncing and trying to get them to play.

it's a very burly looking deer i thought to myself, as i rubbed my eyes for another look. a big grey coloured deer.

a big grey coloured deer i thought to myself, a big grey coloured deer, with big teeth.
05092009167.jpg

a big grey coloured deer i thought to myself, a big grey coloured deer, with big canine teeth.
it's not so much a deer, tis more of a wolf. there's a wolf stood at the end of my bed, and my puppy is trying to persuade it to play.
05092009180.jpg

turns out, it was very friendly wolf, and the puppy (the streaking brown blur in the following photos) just about managed to persuade the wolf to play.

05092009182.jpg

05092009181-1.jpg

05092009176.jpg

of course they don't really get wolves in the mendips, must've been the dog belonging to the lady feeding the horses at the bottom of the hill....

all photo's taken on my phone. :eek:

cheers, and.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: :lmao:

It's those 'brain not quite engaged' moments that make waking up such fun :D

Must admit, I'd have thought a wolfish thing too:eek:

atb,
M

The homba

Oct 7, 2006
Edinburgh
Hi mate that looks like a Utonagan a cross between a German Shepard and a Husky they are bred to look like wolves i would love one . have to say the blurry pic looks like a wolf i would have craped my self seeing it.

Iain

relfy

Nomad
Hehe :) Excellent! The Mendips aren't that far from me.... be quite ur.. fun to think there were wolves about.
There was another odd creature about last year, the SharpNess Monster... managed to get a quick shot of it and throw the camera on the bank before I was pulled under the water, engaged in a savage battle of teeth and fins, rolled several times and jammed under a rock.
Luckily due to the skill I developed as the youngest of four evil sisters, I can hold my breath a very long time and held it until I'd lost enough weight to squeeze out again, three days later. Too weak to swim ashore, I enlisted the help of five ducklings who towed me on a raft of water buttercups. On reaching the bank I was surprised to see that the simple fisherman who had been there when i went in, was still there when i got out. "Wondered where you'd got to", he said kindly and handed me back my camera.
And so I lived to tell the tale.

2226055338_a103e2b054.jpg

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
There was another odd creature about last year, the SharpNess Monster... managed to get a quick shot of it and throw the camera on the bank before I was pulled under the water, engaged in a savage battle of teeth and fins, rolled several times and jammed under a rock.
Luckily due to the skill I developed as the youngest of four evil sisters, I can hold my breath a very long time and held it until I'd lost enough weight to squeeze out again, three days later. Too weak to swim ashore, I enlisted the help of five ducklings who towed me on a raft of water buttercups. On reaching the bank I was surprised to see that the simple fisherman who had been there when i went in, was still there when i got out. "Wondered where you'd got to", he said kindly and handed me back my camera.

Relfy - THAT'S why you weren't answering your phone for a wee while there :D

Love the blurry effect on the "wolf" photies - gives a great sense of just wakin' up. I think I'd have stayed very still until it went away, never mind leaping out takin' photos! I guess your quicksilver mind woke up quicker to the fact it wasn't a wolf than mine would've done. (I'm sure there's something wrong with the grammar in that sentence??)

Also, I notice that your pup has "killing me softly" eyes. Very dangerous.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's a Northern Inuit.
My brother in Somerset has 2 of them. It's possible that it could be one from the litter he bred last year.

The origins of the breed are Siberian Huskey, Alsation and Malamute.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
northern inuit eh? interestin' it's a gorgeous huge beastie whatever it is.

perhaps there's grounds for a whole new thread, what mystical beasts have you seen out and about? ;) mendipshire wolves, sharpness monsters, i hear there do be unicorns in the forest of dean.

cheers, and.

Edit posts: posts seem to be appear multiple times
edit 2: and now they've all gone... Strange must be N issue with the new server.

Anyway I was just trying to say that had you been in an area where you new wolves did exist wild, you would probably an an even bigger shock.
Had a few bad encounters with "tame" farm dogs myself.
Don't breeders in the states cross wolves with domestic dogs like huskies for use as pets?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hehe :) Excellent! The Mendips aren't that far from me.... be quite ur.. fun to think there were wolves about.

2226055338_a103e2b054.jpg

I want a pint of what you've had Eleanor !!! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE