Winter Birds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
A couple of pics from the garden today of birds feeding..

finch1.jpg

incoming.jpg

wing.jpg

tit2.jpg

tit1.jpg

robin3.jpg

robin2.jpg

robin4.jpg

robin1.jpg

Thanks for looking,

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
great pics...thanks for sharing. I rigged up a bird feeding station a few weekends ago, and its plain to see in weather like this that our feathered friends are taking full advantage...we need to give them all the help we can give.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
is the close up of the great tit a great tit or a coal tit i got some on my feeders but find it hard to tell the diffrence lol nice photos

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
great pics...thanks for sharing. I rigged up a bird feeding station a few weekends ago, and its plain to see in weather like this that our feathered friends are taking full advantage...we need to give them all the help we can give.

As above, so many of our wee friends are wiped out at this time of year and rely on us to supplement their food, but just as important remember to give them access to water as it freezes and is hard to source for them, so change it as often as you can before it is a solid block of ice..

Colin

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not an expert, I'm sure if I'm wrong someone with greater knowledge will correct me, but I think the close up is a Great Tit, the other is a Blue Tit, nd some sort of finch.. :lmao:

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Beautiful pictures.

They look so pretty out in the snow, its easy to forget how hard life is for them at this time of year.
I've just found two frozen blackbird on my workbench in the garage. I assumed they had gone in their looking for shelter.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Amazing photo's what type of camera did u use ,,, i'v got six feeders in my garden and all i get is sparrows , blue tits , starlings , and the odd robin ...

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Been giving them fresh water daily and they dont want to know but i have noticed when they are roosting the knock snow of the oak tree and eat it so they must be getting the water this way and out of preference? Got lots going on in the garden this year with my feeders.
Chaffinches, coal tits, blue tits, sparrows, starlings, blackbirds, robin, collared doves, wood pigeons, jays, thrushes, woodpecker (greater spotted) and it went quite the other day when a kestrel landed in the neighbours oak tree and i live in an urban area so its great stuff! when you cant get out for a walk

As above, so many of our wee friends are wiped out at this time of year and rely on us to supplement their food, but just as important remember to give them access to water as it freezes and is hard to source for them, so change it as often as you can before it is a solid block of ice..

Colin

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
It's always hard when using a long lens and a wide aperture to get the bird in pin sharp focus and a few of your otherwise great shots have suffered this.

It often pays off to set the focus manually on the food and take some test shots to make sure you have it set 100% - also, while your bokeh is nice you could probably drop an f stop and still have it nice which would help keep the birds better focussed.

Don't take my comments as negatives though, they're really great shots and I got a lot of pleasure looking at them.

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
It's always hard when using a long lens and a wide aperture to get the bird in pin sharp focus and a few of your otherwise great shots have suffered this.

It often pays off to set the focus manually on the food and take some test shots to make sure you have it set 100% - also, while your bokeh is nice you could probably drop an f stop and still have it nice which would help keep the birds better focussed.

Don't take my comments as negatives though, they're really great shots and I got a lot of pleasure looking at them.

If this is on me, I totally agree. But I enjoy stalking more than waiting in cover, and always take pics from the hand instead of using tripod, so it´s sometimes hard to get a decent photo... But I use photos as a documentary of my trips, not as a main reason to go out (but I still try to do it right).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE